Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
You do know credit companies are BANKs. There is NO such thing as credit card companies, they are issued by Banks including your WFC.

I cannot believe one would trust the Post Office more than the ACH between banks. Your payment is being handled by Automatic Clearing House transfers between banks I hope you at least know this. All are invisible by human. Meanwhile your paper checks have your name and address AND your bank account number, plus the Pay To account number written on it... It could get lost or stolen in transit in the mailing process just sayin as human still has to handle that.
Gotta second this. Much MUCH safer to do this via ACH, online, with reasonable precautions. Checks in the mail are easy pickings for ID thieves.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by slawecki
sorry, typo meant PFD's. DB,ING,AEG, RBS, NW, SAN, WFC, SFI, HSEA ARE ALL OVER 7%, and are qualified(15 or 20% max tax.)
Thank you for the help!

Which would you recommend purchasing now at this time in the market?
How did you select these preferred stocks...broker recommendation?

All seem to be banks/financial services companies but DIV rates do not seem to be close to 7%.
ING - Netehralnds based financial services company, dividend not show in yahoo finance.
DB - Deutsch Bank , .75% dividend
AEG - Aegon, Netherlands, financial services dividend 0.3%
RBS - The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, dividend not show in yahoo finance.
SAN - Banco Santander, S.A, DIV 0.64%

How can they be at 7% if dividend rates are a fraction of this? and what does 15-20% max tax mean?

Last edited by euromannn; Jul 27, 2014 at 1:25 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Gotta second this. Much MUCH safer to do this via ACH, online, with reasonable precautions. Checks in the mail are easy pickings for ID thieves.
are you saying i should only do bank transfers? sending each item (20+ per month) bank to bank is very painful. checks are pretty safe, because if the wrong guy gets hold of the check and cashes it, i can do a claw back.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4
June 2014. Is that current enough for you?

Previous deposit was June 2013. Guess those data points aren't good enough data points for you.

Well, many don't seem to have the same experience you got at FIDO even when checking with a supervisor.

Does this raise a flag?

Last edited by euromannn; Jul 28, 2014 at 7:28 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:28 pm
In memoriam

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread. But this offer with Delta expires on August 31, 2014.

https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/...ource=alliance

Perhaps there will be another similar offer down the road. I don't know.

I took advantage of this offer by transferring $100k of assets that had never been in Fidelity to Fidelity from another brokerage firm. I've done at least one offer like this with Fidelity in the past. Whenever it was (I don't remember) - it was sufficiently in the past that I qualified for this offer.

The only downside to an asset transfer (assuming the transferring firm doesn't charge you a fee) is you won't be able to trade out of a position while the transfer is going on. That wasn't an issue for me - but it might be for someone else.

There's another footnote the rep mentioned to me. The money that's transferred can't be used to buy an annuity within 9 months. Wasn't an issue for me - but the mileage of other people may vary.

FWIW - it may not make much sense to do this offer with cash that won't be invested. Because you'll be losing about $500-600 you could make in a high yield savings account over the course of 9 months. OTOH - depends how you plan to use the miles - and the value of the tickets you're trying to get. Robyn
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread. But this offer with Delta expires on August 31, 2014.

I took advantage of this offer by transferring $100k of assets that had never been in Fidelity to Fidelity from another brokerage firm. I've done at least one offer like this with Fidelity in the past. Whenever it was (I don't remember) - it was sufficiently in the past that I qualified for this offer.

The only downside to an asset transfer (assuming the transferring firm doesn't charge you a fee) is you won't be able to trade out of a position while the transfer is going on. That wasn't an issue for me - but it might be for someone else.

There's another footnote the rep mentioned to me. The money that's transferred can't be used to buy an annuity within 9 months. Wasn't an issue for me - but the mileage of other people may vary.

FWIW - it may not make much sense to do this offer with cash that won't be invested. Because you'll be losing about $500-600 you could make in a high yield savings account over the course of 9 months. OTOH - depends how you plan to use the miles - and the value of the tickets you're trying to get. Robyn
One year ago I transferred in a common stock. Then after 6 months per rules transferred it out.

Now I would like to transfer the same stock back...but seems you have been told it MUST be DIFFERENT money not just new money.

Since the common stock has been away from Fidelity it's technically new money....but seems FIDO wants DIFFERENT money to join repeat process.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Both wife and I have received the bonus multiple times. The facts surrounding the most recent award are:

I deposited $100K into an existing account which had a sizeable balance before the deposit.

Prior to the expiration of the 6 month holding period I withdrew some of the opening balance, leaving more than $100K on deposit.

At various times within the following 6 months I withdrew almost all of the remaining balance in the account, leaving a couple thousand dollars. A substantial portion of this withdrawal was made within 2 months from the end of the 12 month eligibility.

I applied on line for the latest round late June, 12 months having passed since I had made my previous qualifying deposit.

I received the dreaded on line rejection.

I called the phone number listed in the offer and was approved.

A few days later I received an e-mail from Fidelity spelling out the timeline for my deposit (60 days).

What do
i get out of my story and several of the previous posts on this thread?

Fidelity is not happy with applicants who, in their mind, are taking advantage of the program without providing Fidelity with the opportunity to generate some income from the transaction.

if you currently have an account with Fidelity with a decent balance (IRA, Keogh are acceptable) you will be approved.

Several of the posters have reached erroneous conclusions without factual basis.(needing $200K to qualify is one of them).

i

i
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:18 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by euromannn
One year ago I transferred in a common stock. Then after 6 months per rules transferred it out.

Now I would like to transfer the same stock back...but seems you have been told it MUST be DIFFERENT money not just new money.

Since the common stock has been away from Fidelity it's technically new money....but seems FIDO wants DIFFERENT money to join repeat process.
Just to clarify - I don't know whether Fidelity insists on the deposit of new assets - only that I was depositing new assets. Robyn
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:27 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by euromannn

Now I would like to transfer the same stock back [...] Since the common stock has been away from Fidelity it's technically new money....
Er... no, it isn't, or at least it doesn't sound like it. It sounds as though you're talking about a holding with a cost basis history that shows Fidelity that it has been in your account before.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Originally Posted by kayjay
Several of the posters have reached erroneous conclusions without factual basis.(needing $200K to qualify is one of them).
I reached that conclusion based on phone conversation with FIDO CSR. I was told that I would need to deposit $200K in order to qualify for another bonus ($100K was withdrawn about 6 months ago). Whether I was given erroneous information I don' know but I haven't tried depositing just $100K to see if it would work.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kpoxa
I reached that conclusion based on phone conversation with FIDO CSR. I was told that I would need to deposit $200K in order to qualify for another bonus ($100K was withdrawn about 6 months ago). Whether I was given erroneous information I don' know but I haven't tried depositing just $100K to see if it would work.
Have you even applied for the mileage promotion?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Originally Posted by JATR4
Have you even applied for the mileage promotion?
I did apply for the promotion. After waiting a week and not receiving any email confirmation I called FIDO. I was told that my existing account that I used to apply for the promo was closed (due to zero balance) and that was the reason I did not get email. I was also told that they can reopen the account and I will be eligible for the promo as long as I deposit $100K in new money. Since I withdrew $100K 6 months ago I would need to transfer in $200K to qualify.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Kpoxa
I did apply for the promotion. After waiting a week and not receiving any email confirmation I called FIDO. I was told that my existing account that I used to apply for the promo was closed (due to zero balance) and that was the reason I did not get email. I was also told that they can reopen the account and I will be eligible for the promo as long as I deposit $100K in new money. Since I withdrew $100K 6 months ago I would need to transfer in $200K to qualify.
Call again. This is the direct opposite of the result I encountered even though my fact pattern was worse.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by robyng

Robyn
I'd imagine they'll renew the promo - as they have each year for the past 3 years. But perhaps not. If not, you can still do the promo with American (expires Sep 30) or United (expires Oct 31).

I've taken advantage of the promo for 3 straight years... first Delta, then American and then United. This fall will be my 4th year ^

I received an email the 2nd and 3rd time stating I wasn't eligible but after calling the rep said I was and to ignore that email. Both times miles were credited almost immediately. I've never transferred money out of Fidelity - always just left it there (it was an in-kind stock transfer each time).

Fidelity has gained a new customer in me via this promo (I would not have an account with them otherwise). If they pull the offer - I'm likely to transfer everything out and back to my original brokerage (solely for paperwork and ease of monitoring issues).
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:12 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'd imagine they'll renew the promo - as they have each year for the past 3 years. But perhaps not. If not, you can still do the promo with American (expires Sep 30) or United (expires Oct 31).

I've taken advantage of the promo for 3 straight years... first Delta, then American and then United. This fall will be my 4th year ^

I received an email the 2nd and 3rd time stating I wasn't eligible but after calling the rep said I was and to ignore that email. Both times miles were credited almost immediately. I've never transferred money out of Fidelity - always just left it there (it was an in-kind stock transfer each time).

Fidelity has gained a new customer in me via this promo (I would not have an account with them otherwise). If they pull the offer - I'm likely to transfer everything out and back to my original brokerage for paperwork and ease of monitoring issues).
I've never started the application on-line. I've called a rep first. Never had a problem. Can't recall whether I've done this promo twice or three times.

I have transferred money out of Fidelity. Cash. From bond income or when bonds mature and I don't want to reinvest the money immediately. I sweep the money into so-called "high yield" money market accounts. OTOH - I'll transfer cash back in when I want to buy something. They're more incremental moves than large moves - and reflect the way I invest more than an attempt to get a particular promotion. I've had an account with Fidelity for 20+ years - so I guess Fidelity is familiar with how I operate .

I have 3 different brokerage firms. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I think Fidelity is very good when it comes both to "paperwork" and "ease of monitoring". OTOH - these are kind of general phrases. What specific complaints do you have?

FWIW - I'd never choose a brokerage firm based solely on a promotion. There are some brokerage firms that offer promotions that meet none of my needs. And I avoid them. Of course - peoples' investment needs vary. So people should choose the firm(s) that work for them - and look at the promotion as the icing on the cake (or the tiebreaker assuming 1 or more firms would work out equally well). Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.