Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IMH
Then I'd suggest a calendar reminder to try again in October (please let us know how you get on).
I tried again today and still not eligible. It states the offer is not available to all customers

Makes sense to me as I simply transfer in-kind mutual funds and do no trading. I've never pulled any money out however. But still, they have made $0 from me and I've gotten miles from them for doing this for 3 straight years. Makes sense for them to not offer this to certain non-trading customers. My gripe is with their T&C's which do state in-kind transfers are allowed and do not say trading within the acct is required. Seems bait and switch to me.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:05 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I tried again today and still not eligible. It states the offer is not available to all customers
That's disappointing, although as you say understandable -- from F's point of view -- that they don't want to give you miles. The lack of transparency in their T&C is much less easy to understand, given that this is a firm that wants to be trusted with people's money.

Thanks for taking the time to report back.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:22 am

This is the third year that I have used the offer from Fidelity to get United miles, each time going for the full 50,000 miles.

Since applying last year, I have slowly taken out the money to put back into my online savings account (about half in month 3, the rest in month 9).

There was an eleven month wait between applications for the offer (like 49 weeks give-or-take), and I was able to apply online without any human intervention.

P.S. I am not sure if any of these had any bearing on my being able to get a third time without having to wait the full twelve months, but for the sake of completeness I will state that since applying for the offer the last year I had done two trades in my regular account, and about a dozen in my IRA account. I also applied for the Fidelity AMEX card which has been used pretty decently since opening back in January.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:32 am

Is it possible to 'invest' this money in a fidelity CD while waiting for the nine months?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by dgun25
Is it possible to 'invest' this money in a fidelity CD while waiting for the nine months?
Yes. I have done that more than once.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have twice transferred in securities. they would be very happy if you churned your account.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:19 pm

so, forgive the simple (I think) question, i'm the trustee of a trustfund for my children with money available for 9 months (currently sitting in a 1%-ish savings account). Can I open up a fidelity account (i currently have no accounts there) and invest in a cd/money market for a comparable return and of course claim the miles? I don't want to play games but if I can make the same amount for the trust and get miles its a win/win for everyone.

I really don't want to get into stocks with these funds since they need to be more liquid and not subject to large market fluctuations like stocks would have.

thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by millervt
so, forgive the simple (I think) question, i'm the trustee of a trustfund for my children with money available for 9 months (currently sitting in a 1%-ish savings account). Can I open up a fidelity account (i currently have no accounts there) and invest in a cd/money market for a comparable return and of course claim the miles? I don't want to play games but if I can make the same amount for the trust and get miles its a win/win for everyone.

I really don't want to get into stocks with these funds since they need to be more liquid and not subject to large market fluctuations like stocks would have.

thanks!
Not likely since it is a trustee account. Ask Fidelity.

" Promotional Offer Rules:

This offer is valid for new or existing Fidelity customers. In order to receive miles, you must open and fund or deposit net new assets into an eligible joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. "

"The promotion is not available for the following account types/products: ...trust accounts..."
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4
Not likely since it is a trustee account. Ask Fidelity.

" Promotional Offer Rules:

This offer is valid for new or existing Fidelity customers. In order to receive miles, you must open and fund or deposit net new assets into an eligible joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. "

"The promotion is not available for the following account types/products: ...trust accounts..."

This is where my knowledge of being a trustee is slim..this is a new deal for me and I wasn't sure if I could just write a check to fidelity from the trust (the current savings account) to invest the money there and return it to the trust when it "matured" in 9 months. Obviously I don't want to break the law (and certainly don't 'want to do anything to screw up money for my kids!) but i'd love the miles. oh well.

I have some extra cash that I personally got as part of the deal that set up the trust fund, I assume fidelity has some money market/cd options that I could use to get the miles with my personal funds.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by millervt

thanks!
I was able to get the miles for my Revocable Living Trust with me as both the trustee and the beneficiary. They had to do some extra stuff - I think they said they wanted to be sure the miles were for the benefit of the beneficiary, not the trustee. So you might be able to get miles for your kids, but not for you. Do ask, and please let us know what they say.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:57 pm

Interesting idea, miles for kids...usually they don't fly as much as I do, but that might have value too..thanks for the post!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
closing account to avoid clawback?

so due to unforeseen cash flow issues, i may have to withdraw all the fidelity funds before the 9 months are up. my 50k miles are already in United account, but now i fear they will be clawed back.

are there any tricks/strategies to avoid claw back if we must somehow take the money out? does closing the account outright after withdrawing prevent them from doing the clawback?

also, does moving other TIAACREF assets into fidelity count towards keeping an eligible balance?

thanks
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:15 pm

my private client account was denied for promo. i think i've done the promo twice - once last year for the 50K miles and once back in 2006? for 25K miles.

planning to move funds to merrill edge where i have 100 free trades a month
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum
Is the United offer no longer available to existing customers? I clicked through the link in Wiki, selected "fund an existing account", then got a message saying unable to sign up for this offer and here is the resaon:

We apologize, but this offer is not available to all Fidelity customers.

I haven't even signed into my account yet. I last did it 15 months ago. Any ideas?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pork1781
Is the United offer no longer available to existing customers? I clicked through the link in Wiki, selected "fund an existing account", then got a message saying unable to sign up for this offer and here is the resaon:

We apologize, but this offer is not available to all Fidelity customers.

I haven't even signed into my account yet. I last did it 15 months ago. Any ideas?
That message is specific to your account. I get that on my wife's account now, but not on mine.

I think someone must have taken a look and flagged accounts this was so as to be ineligible for future bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.