Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Surprised I haven't seen a thread like this before (maybe I missed it, given the limitations of flyertalk's search engine).

To me, the most "useful" blog is the one that alerts me to deals I can use, and otherwise informs me of what's "going on" in the frequent flyer world without having to read every flyertalk post. I also like blogs that are interesting, amusing, and well written.

I'd rank my current blog preferences as follows:

1. ViewFromTheWing.com

2. ThePointsGuy.com

3. boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler

4. FreeFrequentFlyermiles.com

5. OnlineTravelReview.com

6. TheFrugalTravelGuy.com

7. boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime

There are some other worthwhile blogs that aren't exactly "frequent flyer" blogs, but have useful travel information and deals. Crankyflier.com is a must read for me, and I'm impressed by the money-saving focus of dansdeals.com, even though most of his non-travel deals have little relevance to me.

What are your favorites?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Vote for #1 without a doubt: thepointsguy

He writes about the more challenging topics, like to how maximize the use of BA miles or how to leverage Membership Rewards points with their transfer partners--and he manages to do so in a clear and direct style (complete with screen shots!).

Whenever I can "reward" someone by using a referral link to a credit card offer, it's him.

Vote for #2: the frugaltravelguy

His blog was the first travel/points blog I ever read and it still provides great information.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: spg gold
The Points Guy , please use his links so he keeps up the good work!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum
#1 The Points Guy - I find his blog to be the most useful, whether its cheap flights, mile promotions or credit card reviews. He focuses a lot on tutorials for maximizing redemption of your miles and understanding the pros/cons of each program.

#2 Loyalty Traveler - Great for hotel programs.

#3 The Frugal Travel Guy - Best resource for credit cards.

#4 One Mile At a Time (Travel Sort Blog) - I find trip reviews less useful, so I prefer his postings on TravelSort which are more focused on comparisons between programs and tutorials.

#5 Million Mile Secrets - I just started reading this blog and have found it very helpful for tips and tricks related to acquiring points and miles.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with crescidp's post.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: No preference
All the ones in OP are useful in their own right. I visit 5 of 7 daily.

I would also add jcmitchell21's blog. He recently posted a new scheme that is better than the mint. (I wish)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
All the ones in OP are useful in their own right. I visit 5 of 7 daily.

I would also add jcmitchell21's blog. He recently posted a new scheme that is better than the mint. (I wish)
Haha - I just spent 15 minutes looking for jcmitchell21's blog so I could find out about this new scheme. Then I saw who posted the prior message.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:04 pm

I have a hard time picking one "most useful" blog. Frugal travel guy, view from the wing, and the points guy are the three I would say are most useful to me on a daily basis. Free frequent flyer miles is a great reference site for its organization of data. One mile at a time I guess is slightly useful to me but still a must read.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:12 pm

For me it's thepointsguy, frugaltravelguy, and onemileatatime everyday. They each have their own original material rather than just being another travel/miles current news site in a different font.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by jkoenig51
The Points Guy , please use his links so he keeps up the good work!
+1 - No doubt about it! Not that there is anything wrong with the other blogs, TPG is just better.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Surprised I haven't seen a thread like this before (maybe I missed it, given the limitations of flyertalk's search engine).

To me, the most "useful" blog is the one that alerts me to deals I can use, and otherwise informs me of what's "going on" in the frequent flyer world without having to read every flyertalk post. I also like blogs that are interesting, amusing, and well written.

I'd rank my current blog preferences as follows:

1. ViewFromTheWing.com

2. ThePointsGuy.com

3. boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler

4. FreeFrequentFlyermiles.com

5. OnlineTravelReview.com

6. TheFrugalTravelGuy.com

7. boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime

There are some other worthwhile blogs that aren't exactly "frequent flyer" blogs, but have useful travel information and deals. Crankyflier.com is a must read for me, and I'm impressed by the money-saving focus of dansdeals.com, even though most of his non-travel deals have little relevance to me.

What are your favorites?
FYI, #6 isn't the correct address.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I agree with most of the comments here and for the same reasons, but thanks for the heads up on onlinetravelreview.com. Just took a quick look, and it seems another blog that is worth stopping by every so often.

I love Rick's blog and appreciate his experience in this area; I'd just offer the one little criticism that the format of his blog looks dated--a comment that I guess would apply to freefrequentflyermiles.com as well, but that's a style point. The information offered by both of those blogs is well worth the time I spend there.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:18 pm

i like how thepointsguy keeps an updated list of deals - makes it easy to forward onto friends who are curious about these things.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Yuengling
Haha - I just spent 15 minutes looking for jcmitchell21's blog so I could find out about this new scheme. Then I saw who posted the prior message.
Too bad only 7 minutes passed from the time he posted to your response
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA, BA, CO, US
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Vote for #1 without a doubt: thepointsguy

He writes about the more challenging topics, like to how maximize the use of BA miles or how to leverage Membership Rewards points with their transfer partners--and he manages to do so in a clear and direct style (complete with screen shots!).

Whenever I can "reward" someone by using a referral link to a credit card offer, it's him.

Vote for #2: the frugaltravelguy

His blog was the first travel/points blog I ever read and it still provides great information.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.