Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to purchase FF Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by FlyingLurker
Your best bet would be to find a friend who has 1M+ AMEX points and is willing to do you a favor. These AMEX points can be transferred to a number of airline programs. Ofcourse, it is very likely that you may have to return the favor too. ^
This is a good idea. 1 or 10 or 50 friends. I think amex points will have value of 2 cpm then or so.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience transferring Amex MR points to a 3rd party account? I spoke with Amex's MR cust svc and they said it can't be done.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

points would be used for an internal promotion
Old May 9, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: Doing GS11, probably affiliated with every program out there
Originally Posted by mrx900
wow....that might cost you more than the actual flights if you were to make them ....no?
my thoughts exactly. have you considered some mileage runs at least for part of the 1M miles to save some money? I would think it will take some time to find the source of 1M miles/points but if you can get half of those using your own time by actually flying, it would be a lot easier.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
You can buy almost unlimited miles from an airline for your business, like Citibank does. However, you might pay for it over 2.5 cpm.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

thx for the analysis. Have you ever gifted MR points with Amex before?
Old May 9, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by al613
You can buy almost unlimited miles from an airline for your business, like Citibank does. However, you might pay for it over 2.5 cpm.
The fine print on those contracts prohibits using the miles for yourself.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Neal_xlm
Against the law? Or against the terms of a particular FF program? Thanks for bringing this up - I wasn't familiar with any legal issues surrounding FF mileage. Are you aware of any cases where someone was charged for trading (either buying or selling) in FF mileage. My understanding was that this was an 'unregulated' industry.
Please advise.
Against the law, as in being a criminal act, at least in California. However, to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been prosecuted for that particular crime.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: most of them
according to this blog, mileage brokers have been taken to federal and state courts by the airlines
http://nvflyer.wordpress.com/categor...leage-brokers/

seems like an awfully big risk to me.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Liar
I would think it will take some time to find the source of 1M miles/points but if you can get half of those using your own time by actually flying, it would be a lot easier.
500k miles in 3 weeks? It might be possible to find fares suitable to earn 100-150k miles at a reasonable cpm in the next 3 weeks but I'm not sure you could consider yourself alive during those 3 weeks, or afterwards for that matter.

If it's for a "promotion" purpose, you should probably be talking to the airlines to become a "sponsor" of sorts and just buying them outright.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:07 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Open an Amex account. Buy 500k amex points = $12500. Transfer to airline of choice after holding a reservation to make sure that it is available. Get 4 tickets in business class. Then wonder, why did I not buy the tickets directly for the same price....

Originally Posted by Neal_xlm
points would be used for an internal promotion
All airlines allow businesses to buy miles directly.

e.g., United charges 2.75c each. You are then limited to a maximum of 30,000 miles per year per recipient account.
http://www.ualmiles.com/RewardMiles....nds+and+family
If I really wanted a lot of United miles till Sep 30th, I would buy Amex as much as I can, transfer to my continental account and then transfer to UA at once, 200,000 each day.

Delta - incentives program
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/buy_tr...ives/index.jsp

US airways Had something very similar, but cannot seem to find it now.
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...s/default.html

Last edited by ffI; May 9, 2011 at 5:13 pm
Old May 9, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: Doing GS11, probably affiliated with every program out there
Originally Posted by Santander
500k miles in 3 weeks? It might be possible to find fares suitable to earn 100-150k miles at a reasonable cpm in the next 3 weeks but I'm not sure you could consider yourself alive during those 3 weeks, or afterwards for that matter.
Well it all depends on how bad he wants those miles right
Old May 9, 2011, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by sbrower
Against the law, as in being a criminal act, at least in California. However, to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been prosecuted for that particular crime.
You Californians will never cease to amaze me.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Liar
Well it all depends on how bad he wants those miles right
Well if he wants it that bad he could buy us all a nice gift from a mileage mall too. ^
Old May 9, 2011, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

After further review it seems the best (read: safest) way to do this is through a direct corporate mileage purchase from either Amex or an airline - since we may also want rights to use mktg assests (logos, etc...).

Thanks to all who have responded/commented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.