Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

[Expired]Cap One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Cap One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:29 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Quite the deal Gary found today. I'm sooo doing this:

It's Capital One's Venture "Match My Miles" Challenge
http://www.capitaloneventure.com/#/Welcome

And it's up on the CapitalOne.com home page as well.

After credit card approval you'll need to submit proof of your current mileage account balance, then spend $1k on the card within 90 days and they'll match your account balance up to 100,000 miles. (Competing statement must be received within 45 days of account opening.)

They've capped the matching program at "one billion miles." I suppose it's an open question how long that'll last but we should be good for a month. Though the offer also ends May 13.

It's unclear if you have to show you've earned 100k miles from a co-branded credit card or if you have to have 100k miles in your account. It almost certainly has to just be the latter, since the FAQ says what you have to do to receive the miles is "Reserve your miles by registering online and submitting proof of your airline miles within 45 days of being approved for the Venture card." (emphasis mine.) Elsewhere they reference 100,000 credit card miles but I suspect that's just their marketing pitch to conflate credit card miles with miles.

They will 'match' Alaska, American, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Spirit, United, US Airways, and Virgin. They'll also match Airtran (1000 miles in their program per credit) and Southwest (1200 miles in their program per credit).

There's also a 10,000 point account opening bonus that you'll get after qualifying spend as wel, so it's really a 110,000 mile signup bonus.
Do I still get the one-time bonus of 10,000 miles?
Yes! New Venture cardholders who spend $1,000 in the first 3 months will automatically receive the one-time bonus, in addition to the matched miles. Existing customers who upgrade to Venture are not eligible for the 10,000 bonus miles.
So for folks who have a mileage account with 100k miles in it, they can get an $1100 credit towards paid airfare by signing up for this card.

Now, it's not a terrible card for someone who wants to earn domestic airfare for their credit card spend. I'd still recommend a good 2% cash back card instead for such a person. That's not my goal.

But as far as proprietary points programs go, with the past Thank You Points devaluation, this one isn't terrible since all spend earns 2 points per dollar and with each point worth ~ a penny that's a 2% rebate towards travel. And of course Capital One pioneered no foreign currency fees.

I'll definitely sign up for this card, and I'll meet their minimum spend requirement. The extent to which I put additional spend on the card, however, is a different question entirely.
http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...ure-card.5740/

Last edited by tommy777; Mar 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
http://www.capitaloneventure.com/#/Welcome

Looks like a possibility. I've never had a CapOne card.

Not sure what they mean, exactly, by this:
# After you're approved, register online and submit proof of your airline credit card miles.

[Edit: here's the fine print: http://www.capitaloneventure.com/#/Match_My_Miles]

Anyone see "weasel words"?

Thanks Tommy & Gary.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Unhappy

Originally Posted by tommy777
Quite the deal Gary found today. I'm sooo doing this:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...ure-card.5740/
Dang!
This is the first credit card I have ever been turned away from:

We couldn't approve you for the Capital One® Credit Card and we'll follow up in writing within a couple of weeks to explain the specific reasoning behind our decision.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG gold, PC Plat, Delta GM, Amex Plat
Is the match only for credit card miles accumulated in your account or for all the miles in your account period? That makes a big difference since I don't have 100K in spend on my branded credit cards, but have over 100K miles in my frequent flyer accounts.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:55 pm
xp0

Looking at my AA account summary statement it doesnt show anything about "miles earned" vs "miles earned via promo" BIS miles, etc. I dont think it matters.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:55 pm

Smile type of miles matched

thought I could answer that - however I am not sure
I do want to thank gleff and the OP for bringing this to my attention!!!

Last edited by cevee; Mar 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm Reason: not sure of answer after all
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG gold, PC Plat, Delta GM, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cevee
this from their terms:
Capital One will match up to 100,000 miles that were previously earned through any single eligible airline credit card program. ....You will need to complete a form and then submit a current airline rewards program statement as proof of your existing miles/rewards. Only one (1) statement may be submitted, and it must be received by Capital One within 45 days of account opening. Documentation must indicate that the eligible miles/rewards are held in the name of the Venture card customer, and must be submitted at one time.

So the way I read it - I submit an AAdvantage statement showing I have 150K they will match 100K- my statement does not say whether they were a bonus or earned by charging or flying - just the balance (thanks to those Citi AA cards this is a great deal for me). thanks OP and gleff!
The part that says 100,000 miles earned through a credit card program is what bugs me though. They could ask for statements that show the deposits coming from credit card accounts. I guess its best to just call them and ask. I'de bite on this for $1100 in travel credit.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
As I explained in the original thread Tommy linked to, the FAQ for the offer spells out what you have to do for the miles
Reserve your miles by registering online and submitting proof of your airline miles within 45 days of being approved for the Venture card
It doesn't say "submitting proof that your miles were earned via credit card spend."

I believe that all of the talk of credit card miles is just Capital One-speak.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by sorrowfull
The part that says 100,000 miles earned through a credit card program is what bugs me though. They could ask for statements that show the deposits coming from credit card accounts. I guess its best to just call them and ask. I'de bite on this for $1100 in travel credit.
I know what you mean - I'm feeling okay since my miles were from one of the card programs they show as eligible-

"Eligible Airline Rewards Programs and Match Conversion Value
1-for-1 Mile Matching (1 Venture Mile per 1 airline rewards mile/point):
• Alaska Airlines® Visa® Card
• American Airlines® Card
• Continental Airlines® Card
• Delta® SkyMiles® Card from American Express®
• Frontier Airlines® MasterCard®
• Hawaiian Airlines® Visa Card
• JetBlue® Card from American Express
• Spirit Airlines® Free SPIRIT™ MasterCard
• United Mileage Plus® Visa Card
• US Airways® Dividend Miles MasterCard
• Virgin America® Visa Card
Other:
• AirTran Airways® A+ Visa® Card (1,000 Venture Miles per A+ Rewards® Credit)
• Southwest Airlines® Rapid Rewards® Visa Card (1,200 Venture Miles per Rapid Rewards® Credit)"
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:12 pm

I got 100,000 miles for opening a Citibank VISA Signature last August. Would that be enough to get C#APONE Venture Card and get their 100,000 miles?
I also flew more than 100,000 miles last year...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Lotz
Is the match only for credit card miles accumulated in your account or for all the miles in your account period? That makes a big difference since I don't have 100K in spend on my branded credit cards, but have over 100K miles in my frequent flyer accounts.

Capital One will match up to 100,000 miles that were previously earned through any single eligible airline credit card program.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Originally Posted by gleff
As I explained in the original thread Tommy linked to, the FAQ for the offer spells out what you have to do for the miles It doesn't say "submitting proof that your miles were earned via credit card spend."

I believe that all of the talk of credit card miles is just Capital One-speak.
Gary
Did you get instant approval?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I just signed up for it and approval took about 2 minutes. I'll have the welcome package in 7-10 days. I have 300,000 FF miles in my account, some by credit cards and some by flying. No way to seperate them. From reading the faq I to believe all you'll have to show is a Airline statement. Good luck everyone. I'll follow up after I get my welcome package. Jim
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
nvm. guess BA is not an eligble airline.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by philemer
Anyone see "weasel words"?
It's pretty clear that they will deny your bonus miles if 10,000 others beat you to the 100k bonus.

I predict many, many disappointed customers and a PR disaster for Capital One.

Last edited by nsx; Mar 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm Reason: Bolded the important part

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.