Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

[Expired]Cap One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Cap One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by learningtime
let's forget about value of these points for now

We don't even know if any of us will get these 100,000 points but I can't understand the argument about 100,000 points v. 100,000 miles. Do both, what's the problem? 100,000 traditional miles cannot give $1000 credit for hotel rooms, 100,000 points can. There's the value.

We use our 150K AA miles to get somewhere at whatever redemption in J or F but we need a hotel once we get there!!!!
Never forget about the redemption value. That's the whole point of this game.

100,000 AA miles is worth MUCH, MUCH more than $1,100 dollars, which is the equivalent of 110,000 CapOne Venture Miles. Nobody has suggested that you get 100,000 frequent flier miles - it's clear these are VentureMiles.

CapOne's demo shows these to have a par value of (at best) $.01/mile when applied to travel purchases.

With travel purchases, YMMV, so you're right to say it could be airline, hotel, etc. $1,100 goes a LONG way in whatever regard you need it to. My example with nearly 40K aa miles based on 4 <$250 round trips with a DEQM promo. Someone else could get 22 nights/stays at a $50 hotel towards hotel status. Someone else could spend $1,100 on a vacation they wouldn't have otherwise taken, or a surprise trip for someone special. Hell, I might even consider just blowing $1,100 on a Vegas weekend with my wife - right now it's not something I'd pay for, but offered "for free" using VMiles, I'd possibly value it at face value.

Either way, never forget about the redemption value. Ever.

Last edited by mreed911; Mar 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm Reason: edit to include title
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by timo469
Recently applied, and despite impeccable credit was rejected for this card...

I am not sure how capital ones does its approvals, but I am rather surprised...
I might. Do you have an airline-specific card? Perhaps approvals only went to those with airline cards?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ramalama8
OK, now we're getting somewhere. But I put in my info (zip code and password) and it comes back invalid. And rightly it should - I haven't given them a password yet, so how could it ask me for one?

My guess is that this website is only good after you've received your email (or possibly even your card), signed up for online access on the CapOne website, and then that is the password you'll use. I'm still unclear, however, how it is that they'll be able to validate a password simply from your zip code.
Haha, haven't seen that kind of sign in before. The zip and pass will be unique, don't worry about it.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:51 pm

Just curious...has anyone received any kind of email from CapOne after being approved? It's strange that I haven't seen anything from them, as issuers will almost always email you immediately after applying, either approved, pending, or denied, if only to state that.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by mj12g
Just curious...has anyone received any kind of email from CapOne after being approved? It's strange that I haven't seen anything from them, as issuers will almost always email you immediately after applying, either approved, pending, or denied, if only to state that.
This question is answered several places in the thread.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Haha, haven't seen that kind of sign in before. The zip and pass will be unique, don't worry about it.
Will be hilarious, yet frustrating if there is no registration email sent, and the registration info comes with the card in the mail in 7-10 business days.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
This question is answered several places in the thread.
As far as I've seen, it's only been answered in the negative. I'm curious if anyone has seen an email of any kind. I realize that the redemption instructions and welcome pack will come later, as C1 states, but it would be nice to get a confirmation of approval
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by mj12g
Alec Baldwin is a lil bizzy now to answer /reply emails

btw, didnt he play the evil crook CEO in that movie with Jim Carrey?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
Never forget about the redemption value. That's the whole point of this game.

100,000 AA miles is worth MUCH, MUCH more than $1,100 dollars, which is the equivalent of 110,000 CapOne Venture Miles. Nobody has suggested that you get 100,000 frequent flier miles - it's clear these are VentureMiles.

CapOne's demo shows these to have a par value of (at best) $.01/mile when applied to travel purchases.

With travel purchases, YMMV, so you're right to say it could be airline, hotel, etc. $1,100 goes a LONG way in whatever regard you need it to. My example with nearly 40K aa miles based on 4 <$250 round trips with a DEQM promo. Someone else could get 22 nights/stays at a $50 hotel towards hotel status. Someone else could spend $1,100 on a vacation they wouldn't have otherwise taken, or a surprise trip for someone special. Hell, I might even consider just blowing $1,100 on a Vegas weekend with my wife - right now it's not something I'd pay for, but offered "for free" using VMiles, I'd possibly value it at face value. But here we are talking about two different programs. This is essentially one inquiry for $1K toward travel. Sure they pull all 3 bureaus but EXP is the only that matters for me. Everything and everything uses EXP in my state.

Either way, never forget about the redemption value. Ever.
Ok, I won't forget about redemption value, EVER. I am on FT after all.
But what's wrong with getting, or rather hopefully and potentially getting, $1000 for your hotel stays once we all redeem our much more valuable AA miles. What I meant to say is you do not have to choose (unless you are really high up on inquiries). Even if you have too many inquiries, you can submit concurrently. I can understand the discussion about AA miles v. skypesos.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Not living in the US anymore etc I'm not eligible for a CC there anyway but my thinking is:

What exactly are these points worth? Can you transfer them into airline miles? Or only using the said 1100$ 'value' towards travel you book?

The 1100$ would be honestly not worth as much to me to consider dealing with CapitalOne again. I once had a CC with them - in the U.S. and here in Canada. The service was horrible in both instances, their IT a nightmare.

Despite, 1100$ are probably as much of a value as the usual 35k AA Miles offer that is pretty much available anytime. I honestly don't see the big deal about this except you can really convert these into ~100k Airline Miles or anything close to this ratio.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Despite, 1100$ are probably as much of a value as the usual 35k AA Miles offer that is pretty much available anytime. I honestly don't see the big deal about this except you can really convert these into ~100k Airline Miles or anything close to this ratio.
You have blinders on. Aside from using $1100 in travel rewards, you can also redeem for gift cards. Not all points have to be redeemed directly for flights. Shocking, I know.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:16 pm

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...atching-bonus/
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:17 pm

That's the thing. Aside from the T&C which also said that they'll want one "airline statement", Capital one is also touting it one of the best deals out there (somewhere along those lines)

Unless it's a 100,000 match on the frequent flyer account (kind of like BA had a while back), it's not that big of a deal otherwise, considering the cap they're putting on the promotion. BA didn't even had that cap, only that it was available for a very limited amount of time.

That's what led me to believe that they'll match up to 100,000 based on FF account. Otherwise, deals like AA's 75k is just as, if not even more, competitive.

*I really think Capital One should pull the offer once the billion limit is reached. Or give the offer to the first 10,000 people who signed up. Rather than this whole wait-for-email-who-knows-when it'll-be-sent-out.

Last edited by BOShappyflyer; Mar 10, 2011 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Not living in the US anymore etc I'm not eligible for a CC there anyway but my thinking is:

What exactly are these points worth? Can you transfer them into airline miles? Or only using the said 1100$ 'value' towards travel you book?

The 1100$ would be honestly not worth as much to me to consider dealing with CapitalOne again. I once had a CC with them - in the U.S. and here in Canada. The service was horrible in both instances, their IT a nightmare.

there is a max of 1 cent per pt, but had it really been say the 112k that could have gotten me at least 1 tkt in Y to Hawaii which I would earn apx 11k in EQMs and of cause use some Upgrade instruments to do it in 1st. So it wont get me to Europe in Biz like 100k in miles would but IMO nothing to sneeze at either If theres a sale to HNL then maybe 2 tkts and 22k in EQMs even sweeter

But the more I look at it the more it seems as if Cap1 just is being Cap1 and in teh end they will only match whatever Miles were gotten by using your Carriers CC, so bonus miles will also not be counted so unless a person spent $100k in the past 6 months they wont end up with such a great bonus amount of Venture Pts, hope my thinking is way off
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Oh, now I see - your passcode is not the same as a password. That's the dummy in me...

Disagree. I think 35,000 non-Delta FF miles are worth far less than $1100. Frankly, I'd rather have $1100 in travel "credits" than 110,000 miles. I've got so many AA miles that I can't hardly use them all - I'd rather just be given cash or its equivalent.

"I don't always pay for travel out of pocket, but when I do, I prefer CapOne Venture Rewards."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.