Wiki Posts
Search

flyhub.com SCAM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
flyhub.com SCAM

Don't know if this belongs here but mods please move to the proper forum.

Here is a what happened to me recently. Danielle form Flyhub contacted me and asked me to sell my miles on their website, flyhub.com. I was a bit apprehensive at first but then since I had her cell phone number, I thought they would be legit.

It has been more than 2 months now and they have yet to pay me. Everytime I called up in the beginning they said they sent a money order. Then they asked to deposit directly into a bank account. I opened a new bank account (since I only had online accounts) and gave them that account #. Still no money. Now Danielle has stopped answering my phone calls.

Oh and their customer service is a joke. They have some kind of an offsite agent who knows nothing and will only take down your name, number and a message. A quick google search showed me theie office address in San Francisco. Being close to that, I drove only to find out they no longer exist there.

I will be filing for my money in small claims court and also see if the local cops can help me. I am trying to read more on how to handle this since it never happened before.

Last edited by fandu; Jul 20, 2010 at 10:03 am
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:04 pm

Incorporated in CA, but the corporation's status is currently suspended.

Good luck tracking these guys down. How many miles did you sell them?

Last edited by mosu84; Jul 17, 2010 at 8:22 pm Reason: old image screwed up thread formatting
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Selling miles or awards is against the rules in every frequent flyer program that I know of. If caught many FF programs will lock your account. There are many fly by night places that rip off folks since there is little they can do if stiffed.

It's too bad you didn't research before you sent the miles.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:21 pm

Selling miles is against the rules of ff programs; it is not illegal. The OP clearly is a victim of fraud.

You should contact the CA Attoney General's office and the FTC, but they will probably have the same problem you did, the inability to find them. And since they deal with all sorts of scams, they might be too overloaded to help you much.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by artemis021
Selling miles is against the rules of ff programs; it is not illegal. The OP clearly is a victim of fraud.

You should contact the CA Attoney General's office and the FTC, but they will probably have the same problem you did, the inability to find them. And since they deal with all sorts of scams, they might be too overloaded to help you much.
Yup. Although the OP should definitely have his or her frequent flyer account closed (although I doubt it matters since the account is empty anyway) or possibly be liable for civil damages, the OP didn't break any criminal laws and she/he is entitled to the money.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Selling miles is against the rules of ff programs; it is not illegal.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal
Main Entry: il·le·gal
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈlē-gəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French or Medieval Latin; Middle French illegal, from Medieval Latin illegalis, from Latin in- + legalis legal
Date: 1538

: not according to or authorized by law : unlawful, illicit;
also : not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
you know what he means
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Selling miles is against the rules of ff programs; it is not illegal...
Selling miles isn't against the law, but using a ticket obtained for sold miles could be. It might run afoul of a California law that prohibits using a ticket for transportation in violation of its terms and conditions. This has been discussed elsewhere on FT. I don't recall if the lawyers and/or wannabe lawyers reached a conclusion as to whether it covers this situation, but it may be something to keep in mind.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by fandu
It has been more than 2 months now and they have yet to pay me.
Has the award ticket issued from your account been used yet? Do you have the information on who ticketed using your miles?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
sucks....its never a good idea to get into the selling & buying of miles to any 3rd party....
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by mosu84
Yup. Although the OP should definitely have his or her frequent flyer account closed (although I doubt it matters since the account is empty anyway) or possibly be liable for civil damages, the OP didn't break any criminal laws and she/he is entitled to the money.
Did the OP say their account is empty? Perhaps the OP sold 200K of a total balance of 300K. So if the account is closed by specific airline the OP would lose another 100K.

flyhub.com is still in business even if CA suspended their corporate status. I went to their website and on the home page I saw Customer Service Agents Are Available 24/7 At 1 877 435 9482. I called and a real person answered after 3 rings. First thing out of her mouth was "Thank you for contacting FlyHub. Are you looking to buy or sell miles today?"

OP, you stated that Danielle from FlyHub contacted you. How did she contact you? by phone? email? snail mail? I am curious as to how Danielle even knew that you had miles that you might want to sell. If she cold called you then someone out there is either giving or selling information about FFers - specifically their miles balance(s)! Do you have a points.com account? Do you use a miles tracking service like acruw.com, mileport.com, Tripit.com, mileageMANAGER.com, AwardWallet.com, etc?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Evan!
Did the OP say their account is empty? Perhaps the OP sold 200K of a total balance of 300K. So if the account is closed by specific airline the OP would lose another 100K.

flyhub.com is still in business even if CA suspended their corporate status. I went to their website and on the home page I saw Customer Service Agents Are Available 24/7 At 1 877 435 9482. I called and a real person answered after 3 rings. First thing out of her mouth was "Thank you for contacting FlyHub. Are you looking to buy or sell miles today?"

OP, you stated that Danielle from FlyHub contacted you. How did she contact you? by phone? email? snail mail? I am curious as to how Danielle even knew that you had miles that you might want to sell. If she cold called you then someone out there is either giving or selling information about FFers - specifically their miles balance(s)! Do you have a points.com account? Do you use a miles tracking service like acruw.com, mileport.com, Tripit.com, mileageMANAGER.com, AwardWallet.com, etc?
As a WAG, I'd say that perhaps a Craig's list ad for selling miles, or some other public source was the method of their meeting.

I'd guess that the ticket was a few weeks out, hence why she was still talking to you and dragging their feet. As soon as the ticket was completed, no more contact.

PT Barnum, my boy, PT Barnum.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
In California it is a crime. I don't know of anyone ever being charged, but the law is on the books.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Yes I posted on craigslist to sell the miles. Danielle contacted me through email and then by phone. I have her phone number and I will be contacting the local PD on Friday (I am out of town) to see my options.

Yes Flyhub is still in business and the girl that answers the phone only takes the message and says she will forward to Danielle.

I will update on Friday after my visit to the local PD.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by fandu
Yes Flyhub is still in business and the girl that answers the phone only takes the message and says she will forward to Danielle.
That sounds like an answering service to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.