Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] JL/AA: SEL-NYC r/t in F as low as $2,800

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] JL/AA: SEL-NYC r/t in F as low as $2,800

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paynea
Okay, thanks, I will make more phone calls.

If I want to purchase a future "good deal" premium fare at the going market price (ex-CAI, etc), I would not book through AA based on my experience with this fare.
The thing about this fare is, it is pretty unique so many agents don't know how to properly deal with it. As long as you keep calling and mentioning you've flown the first segments, and are booked in F/J classes, you'll eventually find an agent who is willing to help
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Sitting at JFK having just arrived from flying GMP-HND-JFK.
First of all, thanks again to the OP for posting this fare availability.

Second, I must say that I found JL F a bit underwhelming.
The hard product was great - one of the best sleeps I have had on a plane.
Seat is great, IFE screen/controls are good.

But soft product, from lounge in Tokyo, to ground service at both ends,
to food/beverage on board, to IFE content - all disappointed me. Definitely
not up to SQ/LH F experience.

And I must say that the caviar service was the most unusual that I have had in my life.
No onions, no lemon ( until I requested it), no blinis, no sourcream. It was just served
with some mashed up egg yolk, and 2 pieces of what looked like shrimp crackers.
The container size was about 20% the size of that served on SQ/LH.
Sorry to hear that. Being an avgeek I love the HND F lounge! The food on my February flight I used the Japanese menu that was curated from some 3-Michelin star restaurant and it was absolutely amazing. The Salon champagne was top notch. I didn't have the caviar, opting for the japanese menu instead and personally not being a big caviar fan. They provided a gift, a landing treat, and the service was incredibly friendly. One of the flight attendants spilled ONE DROP of red wine by accident on the linen table setting and the pursar came flying in to replace the whole setting - it was unnecessary but show'd just how much they valued their precission service. Their blue tea, hot tea, and coffee selections before landing were one of the more impressive non-alcoholic offerings I've had. Solid cappuccino, great cold blue tea, even some fantastic Mariage Freres tea.

The only thing I missed was having a crew that spoke better English. None of my jokes landed thanks to a language barrier, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the precise fantastic service offered.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:57 pm

As a follow up, I was able to make my date change today. Thanks for all the info in this thread!

I called ~11am (pacific time), and got an agent that called an actually helpful "help desk" when the computer wanted to charge an additional ~$3K fare.

My previous phone call was ~6:30pm pacific time, which is probably too late for an eastern/central time zone based company.

Maybe this fare trips up the AA computers, and you need someone knowledgeable to process the change without up-faring the ticket. I most likely will also change the final TYO flight (to sometime in 2018, once my schedule is more set), and I will be calling during regular east coast business hours to make that date change.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Finally took my last flights. AA credited these as special fare too.

LAX-NRT-ICN

18,714 EQM
1,873 EQD
16,845 RDM as an ExPlat

Thanks again OP for providing this amazing deal
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Finished first half of trip last week.
The calculation for the JL leg was based on distance and the JL as AA codeshare was based on fare. I did make a minor change on the outbound due to the JL schedule change and modified to leave from NRT later in the day rather than from HND but did not change any dates.

GMP-HND (JL) NRT-JFK (JL as AA codeshare)
21,336 EQM
1,334 EQD
14,672 RDM as an ExecPlat
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Was able to change my last half of the trip which had JFK-HND-GMP departing originally in early November. I pushed this back to an early January departure. I also tweaked the connection flight from HND-GMP so I wouldn't have to overnight in Tokyo as originally required on the ticket.

It took a while to ticket but no pushback from agent and it was very smooth.
I politely informed her upfront that I had been told that once I flew part of this itinerary that I was allowed to make changes on later flights. Not sure if that helped or not since they have the fare rules.

Called in at about 10:305 pm EDT tonight and spoke to agent in Dallas who seemed knowledgeable and seasoned when chatting with her.

Update 8/8 am: it took about 36 hours for the ticket to be reissued as the status was "Requested" online for quite a while. I was getting a bit worried but the email ticket showed up this morning. Also it is odd that although online I could see the modified flights as changed, when I viewed the reservation on the AA app it was still (and as now) showing the old flights. I think I'm all set and this will be a good start on EQMs for 2018 and dovetails nicely with another good fare booked originating in NRT.

Update 8/10: The AA app was still showing the old itinerary for a couple of days. However, I logged out of the app and then back in. That seemed to take care of the issue and it now shows the updated and changed itinerary. I am not sure if this is because of the ticket and the original delay or if there is a bug in the AA app. All's well.

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Aug 10, 2017 at 11:22 am Reason: Add additional information re: ticketing
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Just flew the return portion JFK-HND, and am in the lounge awaiting my connection to GMP. I found this flight much more enjoyable than the outbound - the food was
excellent - comparable to a first class restaurant on the ground. When I enthused over
the Japanese meal, the crew trotted out the chef to accept my accolades- I did not realize that they had a chef on board who prepared the meals.

Once more, thank you to the OP.

The only downer was the Air France Lounge at JFK - definitely sub par and despite
having 4 wireless servers there were too many users to maintain a connection.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:56 pm

Has anyone tried dropping the last leg from the reservation? Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by mbfanos
Has anyone tried dropping the last leg from the reservation? Thanks!
Just don't show up.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by frebay
Just don't show up.
My reservation is like:
Day 1: JFK-NRT, arriving on day 2
Day 2: NRT-SIN (different booking)
Day 3: NRT-ICN

The thing is I need a visa to enter either NRT or ICN. My understanding is that I can simply say I'm going to SIN (no visa needed) when I check in at JFK. I'm just afraid the check in agent may require an ICN visa or something. The Japanese (and agents working for JL) are quite strict when it comes to rule.
That's why I want to drop the last leg. I'm calling (like every 2 days) to drop it or move it to a further date and I always get a quote for $10k or $8k

Update: I found an agent who helped me changed the leg NRT-ICN to a much later date. I'll just no-show it then. The key difference is that the agent has to look for the AA flight number when making the change, thus no change fee or fare difference. What they usually do is try to change it to a JL coded flight, thus the fare difference.

Last edited by mbfanos; Sep 14, 2017 at 10:04 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
The thing about this fare is, it is pretty unique so many agents don't know how to properly deal with it. As long as you keep calling and mentioning you've flown the first segments, and are booked in F/J classes, you'll eventually find an agent who is willing to help
Anyone have luck changing from AA flight numbers to JL numbers? My flight from HND-SFO was JL numbers, but my return flight are AA numbers.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:35 pm

Is there any restriction in when changes can be made for unflown segments?

Fare ticketed Dec 13 2016, first outbound segment was sometime in early June 2017. I have 1yr to complete itinerary but is there any restriction as to last date I can make date changes? I had an AA agent tell me it's 1yr from when the ticket was issued so no further changes permitted. However, that doesn't really make sense if I have 1yr to use the ticket from 1st outbound flight (June 2017)? Can anyone shed some light?

I have the return transpac segement to complete and would be a shame if I can't use it...
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by wrldtrvllr
Is there any restriction in when changes can be made for unflown segments?

Fare ticketed Dec 13 2016, first outbound segment was sometime in early June 2017. I have 1yr to complete itinerary but is there any restriction as to last date I can make date changes? I had an AA agent tell me it's 1yr from when the ticket was issued so no further changes permitted. However, that doesn't really make sense if I have 1yr to use the ticket from 1st outbound flight (June 2017)? Can anyone shed some light?

I have the return transpac segement to complete and would be a shame if I can't use it...
No, you can make changes until your ticket expires, 1 yr after you flew the first segment. I called to switch the date for my return ~1 wk before the desired travel date earlier this month, and had no issues (beyond paying an extra ~$10 for additional taxes). You should call during regular US business hours (central time) to increase the chances of getting a knowledgeable agent.

Also, every flight segment has to start before the expiration, including the TYO-SEL flight. This means you can't fly to Tokyo on the very last day of the fare validity, since TYO-SEL has to be on the following day when the ticket has expired.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:14 am

Anyone still have an open ticket for this?

Am running into problems trying to change last few segments. Rates desk wants to collect for incorrectly ticketed fare! Says there was supposed to be premium for going over certain mileage but was never collected? Anyone know MPM on this fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.