Wiki Posts
Search

dearth of MR posts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines
dearth of MR posts

Is the striking dearth of MR posts the result of few itineraries out there that will yield EQM at less than a few cents each; or the lack of interest in MRs generally on account of rule changes that have made the game of flying primarily for EQM and/or RDM so much less worthwhile; or what?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Ehm, I always found the RDMs to be a nice add-on onto the EQMs. The issue right now is that it is August, with almost the highest fares you could imagine and most September/October deals have possibly already passed their APR or ticketing restrictions. Or maybe people don't see a point in posting the SAME MRs over and over again (finally!), i.e. you will always find interesting deals ex-Scandinavia, but what's the point in posting that deal every year?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cvision
Ehm, I always found the RDMs to be a nice add-on onto the EQMs. The issue right now is that it is August, with almost the highest fares you could imagine and most September/October deals have possibly already passed their APR or ticketing restrictions. Or maybe people don't see a point in posting the SAME MRs over and over again (finally!), i.e. you will always find interesting deals ex-Scandinavia, but what's the point in posting that deal every year?
If you scroll back to see the frequency of new posts months ago, I think you will see a great many fewer MR posts than in prior years at the same time. Do you think I'm wrong about this?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I think the program rule changes have severely damaged the loyalty of many FTers to any given airline.

MRs have become much less valuable, as have the programs, unless you fly on other people's money.

What is the point of an MR when the miles you fly don't yield the status you want? There are other ways to get lounge access

Last edited by Deltahater; Aug 29, 2016 at 1:45 pm
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by itsme
If you scroll back to see the frequency of new posts months ago, I think you will see a great many fewer MR posts than in prior years at the same time. Do you think I'm wrong about this?
Yes, this forum is practically dead to me. I used to check multiple times per day and got much excitement and awesome adventures from it.

Now, even if something decent is found, I think about the return on my investment and go "meh"
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by pgh234
Yes, this forum is practically dead to me. I used to check multiple times per day and got much excitement and awesome adventures from it.

Now, even if something decent is found, I think about the return on my investment and go "meh"
Same.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
MR are dead to majority of the population that fly on their own money. Used to fly for $700 and get 25K miles and get lowest status, now $700 gets you 4K miles and 1/4 of a status. Im not paying $3K of my own money to get lowest status and earning 25K miles.

Last edited by yuel; Aug 29, 2016 at 9:10 pm
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA
One other reason is the rise of the travel blogs, which makes people more hesitant to post here (kills deals more quickly).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-run-dead.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...bout-dead.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-run-dead.html
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yuel
MR are dead to majority of the population that fly on their own money. Used to fly for $700 and get 25K miles and get lowest status, now $700 gets you 4K miles and 1/4 of a status. Im not paying $3K of my own money to get lowest status and earning 25K miles.
And just paying $50 or so a year may get you some of what the lowest status gives or more, e.g., priority boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.