Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] LAN: JFK/MCO/MIA/LAX-IGU falls $272+ ai q1RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2015, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tonei
DEAD

When and where are you traveling?

16-Aug-2015 -- 21-Aug-2015 JFK-LIM-IGU (4 nights)-GIG (4 nights) -IGU-LIM (1 night) -JFK dantorsiello
21-Aug-2015 -- 23-Aug-2015 JFK-LIM-GRU (10 hours)-IGU (1.5 days)-GRU (8 days)-LIM-JFK anandrag
10-Nov-2015 -- 15-Nov-2015 JFK-SCL-GIG (2 nights) - IGU (2 nights) - GRU-LIM-JFK Adam1222
11-NOV-2015--15-NOV-2015 JFK-LIM-IGU(2 nights)-IGU-GRU(1 night)-LIM-JFK Long Train Runnin'
18-Nov-2015 -- 28-Nov-2015 JFK-LIM-IGU (2-3 days)-GIG (2-4 days) -IGU-LIM-JFK FPmiles
20-Nov-2015 -- 27-Nov-2015 (OAK)-LAX-LIM-GRU (4 nights)-IGU (2 nights)-LIM-LAX-(SFO) tonei
20-Nov-2015 -- 30-Nov-2015 (SJC)-LAX-LIM-GRU-IGU (2 nights) -GIG (5-6 nights)-SCL-LIM-LAX-(SJC) mtvesuvius
21-Nov-2015 -- 23-Nov-2015 LAX-LIM-GRU-IGU-GRU-LIM-LAX jetsarefast2
23-Nov-2015 -- 30-Nov-2015 LAX-LIM (2.5 days)-IGU (2 days)-LIM (14 hours)-LAX jetsarefast2
25-Nov-2015 -- 29-Nov-2015 MCO-LIM (overnight) -IGU (3 nights) -LIM (overnight) -MCO rivlinm

General Travel Information
Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers
CDC information on Iguaçu Falls

Suggestions for what to do/where to stay/how to get around in ...

IGU
http://wikitravel.org/en/Iguaçu_Falls

GRU

LIM

LAN Economy Tips/Quirks/Etc

Mileage Credit
LAN: O credits 100% to AA for international flights outside of South America."http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/airlines/lan.jsp"]Link[/URL]) AS earning rules are unclear, but ask and you might get lucky. (Link)
TAM: O credits 0% to AA for all flights prior to October 1; starting October 1 O credits 50% to AA for intra-Brazil flights and 100% to AA for international flights. (Y and B fares credit 100% on intra-Brazil) (Link)
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] LAN: JFK/MCO/MIA/LAX-IGU falls $272+ ai q1RT

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
just impusively book lax-lim-igu-gru-lim-lax for Nov. Any suggestion for the hotel on the Brazillian side? I dont think i m gonna go to the Argentina . Thanks
Old May 20, 2015, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
just impusively book lax-lim-igu-gru-lim-lax for Nov. Any suggestion for the hotel on the Brazillian side? I dont think i m gonna go to the Argentina . Thanks
There's a fairly fancy hotel (but with small rooms) on the Brazil side. How much do you want to spend per night?
Old May 20, 2015, 10:00 am

Suggestions for this trip out of Miami

Does anyone have sample dates and fares out of Miami with stopovers and where they booked it? I can seem to replicate. Thanks.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: TK Elite+, *A Gold, ITA Executive, SkyTeam Elite Plus, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond
LAX-LIM-SCL-GRU-IGU-GRU-LIM-LAX, with a 2 day stopover in SCL

$432.67 ai
$0.029 per mile (2.9 cpm)

Los Angeles
LAX 12:50pm
Terminal B
Lima
LIM 12:10am +1 day
8 h 20 m
LAN Airlines 601
Economy / Coach (O)
Layover:1 h 30 m
LAN Airlines logo
Lima
LIM 1:40am
Santiago
SCL 6:55am
Arrives on Nov 19, 2015
3 h 15 m
LAN Airlines 601
Economy / Coach (O)
Nov 21, 2015 - Return 1 stop Total travel time:9 h 30 m
LAN Airlines logo
Santiago
SCL 3:15pm
Sao Paulo
GRU 8:20pm
Terminal 1
4 h 5 m
LAN Airlines 5951 Operated by TAM LINHAS AEREAS
Economy / Coach (B)
Layover:3 h 45 m
LAN Airlines logo
Sao Paulo
GRU 12:05am
Terminal 1
Iguassu Falls
IGU 1:45am
Arrives on Nov 22, 2015
1 h 40 m
LAN Airlines 8063 Operated by TAM FOR LA/LP/4M/LAN COLOMBIA AIRLINES
Economy / Coach (Y)
Nov 24, 2015 - Return 2 stops Total travel time:19 h 0 m
LAN Airlines logo
Iguassu Falls
IGU 5:40am
Sao Paulo
GRU 7:30am
Terminal 1
1 h 50 m
LAN Airlines 8062 Operated by TAM LINHAS AEREAS
Economy / Coach (Y)
Layover:1 h 25 m
LAN Airlines logo
Sao Paulo
GRU 8:55am
Terminal 3
Lima
LIM 11:15am
5 h 20 m
LAN Airlines 5222 Operated by TAM LINHAS AEREAS FOR LAN PERU
Economy / Coach (B)
Layover:1 h 25 m
LAN Airlines logo
Lima
LIM 12:40pm
Los Angeles
LAX 6:40pm
Terminal B
9 h 0 m
LAN Airlines 2604 Operated by AND MARKETED BY LAN PERU
Economy / Coach (O) | Seat 44A, 44C

Last edited by finlandokie; May 20, 2015 at 11:56 am
Old May 20, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a fairly fancy hotel (but with small rooms) on the Brazil side. How much do you want to spend per night?
Can be up to $100/night.

Btw, I booked with PL. How do I check the fare class? Couldnt find it on the LAN.com website either

Thanks again
Old May 20, 2015, 10:43 am

If you haven't been, and may not be back soon - I strongly suggest that you visit both sides despite the cost - both very different, but Argentina side proves to be a bit better overall IMHO.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crnk
As others have said, an amazing deal. I think I paid about $200 for the domestic JJ trip GRU-IGU.

I can't see Brazil moving too quickly--maybe a decade? Brazil is almost as clear as Chile was about it being retaliatory. Brazil's rejection rate of visas is still a bit too high. But yes, I can see Brazil working its way into the VWP over the next decade or so.
Argentina has the low rejection rate and was previously in the VWP but am not sure the current intent they have. At least from the most recent round of changes, they seem to be moving in the opposite direction: I entered by land several times, as a visa was not required at the time, but now is for all entries. I guess the other question is: Is Argentina stable enough for the US to be happy? A consistently sinking peso here is not a good sign--was at 3/USD when I went in 2007, then about 5ish/USD in late 2012, and is now up to 9/USD.
I think both will eventually be fee-free, but you'll probably have to wait awhile. You can see how bad these fees are for tourism though. I'm taking my family to Chilean Patagonia later this year (a trip I booked because they eliminated the reciprocity fee!) and would certainly cross the Argentine border, but it would cost us $640 to do so ($160 x 4) so we won't.

Originally Posted by anandrag
How is LAN in economy class?
They are better than the USA airlines. LAN's problems are "on the ground"; their in-flight service is good. In economy at least. Their premium cabin is lackluster.

Originally Posted by dominick
If you haven't been, and may not be back soon - I strongly suggest that you visit both sides despite the cost - both very different, but Argentina side proves to be a bit better overall IMHO.
It would be nuts to go to Iguazu and not see the Argentine side. That's, by far, the best side. Kind of like going to Niagara and not going to Canada. Seeing Victoria Falls and avoiding Zimbabwe, etc. Yes, it's objectively not "worth" the $160, but if you've gone that far, you have to pay it.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, CO Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
They are better than the USA airlines. LAN's problems are "on the ground"; their in-flight service is good. In economy at least. Their premium cabin is lackluster.
My primary impression of LA Y on a JFK-SCL r/t earlier this year was the very tight legroom on their 787. I am 6ft tall, and had to empty the seat pocket of magazines to make room for my legs, a first for me. In-flight service may be marginally better than a US airline, but not as good as TAM was three years ago. My $0.02.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Agree. Found them slightly better than US carriers in Y. Flew Mia>lim and was offered an adequate hot meal, wine with dinner and an after dinner drink. Eye shades and pillow as well

Beyond that service was non existent and not particularly warm. Just went through the motions. But still better than our domestic options.

Business hard product was still not fully lie flat and my understanding is service is where they really fall flat.

But for $272 I'd even fly United and enjoy my paltry 1360 rdm.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:05 pm

I think I differ. We stayed on the Brazilian side and it was absolutely spectacular. Yes if you are a waterfall aficionado or aquatic scientist maybe you "have to pay it" but otherwise I would say it is totally worth a ~$350 flight plus Brazil visa fee just for the Brazilian side. Personally, I didn't and wouldn't pay $160 extra per person to get into Argentina unless I was visiting more than just the falls.

Re where to stay we stayed at the Hotel Florenca and it was good value and very cheap @ ~$65 including breakfast and airport pickup but it is pretty basic and located outside the town. If you plan to do anything aside from the falls and bird park (highly recommended as well) you may want to stay someplace more central in Foz town

Originally Posted by iahphx
I think both will eventually be fee-free, but you'll probably have to wait awhile. You can see how bad these fees are for tourism though. I'm taking my family to Chilean Patagonia later this year (a trip I booked because they eliminated the reciprocity fee!) and would certainly cross the Argentine border, but it would cost us $640 to do so ($160 x 4) so we won't.

It would be nuts to go to Iguazu and not see the Argentine side. That's, by far, the best side. Kind of like going to Niagara and not going to Canada. Seeing Victoria Falls and avoiding Zimbabwe, etc. Yes, it's objectively not "worth" the $160, but if you've gone that far, you have to pay it.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold
For anyone who wants to book on LAN's website (The deal is alive for some dates), here is a trick to hold for 24 hrs for free:

Go to booking and select paypal. Once you're redirected to paypal hit cancel / go back to LAN's site. This will bring you back and you will have a booking confirmation number and you have 24 hours to ticket the flight by calling or paying online with a credit card. Hope it works for you guys!
Old May 20, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, *A Gold, ITA Executive, SkyTeam Elite Plus, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond
Seems like a bunch of us are going around November. Should we create a meetup wiki?
Old May 20, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by finlandokie
Seems like a bunch of us are going around November. Should we create a meetup wiki?
Definitely. Anybody else going to be there Nov 5-8?
Old May 20, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by rivlinm
Agree. Found them slightly better than US carriers in Y. Flew Mia>lim and was offered an adequate hot meal, wine with dinner and an after dinner drink. Eye shades and pillow as well

Beyond that service was non existent and not particularly warm. Just went through the motions. But still better than our domestic options.

Business hard product was still not fully lie flat and my understanding is service is where they really fall flat.
When did you fly LAN that you didn't have a lie-flat seat in business? Their 767's and 787's all have lie-flat seats.

I've always had good experiences with LAN on-board my flights with them (and at their lounges, too). If they are lacking service-wise, it's generally before you ever get to the airport -- like if you have to deal with their Santiago HQ. That can difficult.

I've flown with four of the five LAN divisions (Colombia, Peru, Chile, and Argentina, but not Ecuador), and would rate the LAN Chile crews as the best.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
When did you fly LAN that you didn't have a lie-flat seat in business? Their 767's and 787's all have lie-flat seats.
Late 2013

I was swapped from aa to lan bc dfw was shut due to ice. I felt as if I was upgraded to y+ even with my minor complaints. Partially culture based.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.