Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me take advantage of a gap in employment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me take advantage of a gap in employment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond
Question Help me take advantage of a gap in employment

Hello Flyertalk!!

Here's the nutshell ask: I'm going to be unemployed for the next ~45 days. I would like to visit Shanghai and BKK during this time. Not the entire time, mind you....the last two weeks of April in PVG and the first week of May in BKK (coinciding with some friends that live over there's vacation schedules). The only thing that is set in stone, timing wise is the week in BKK, the rest is totally flexible.

Background: Long time Flyertalk member, went to the Chicago seminars a few years back and met a ton of awesome people. In the past when I've been out of work, one thing or another has prevented me from capitalizing on that time to travel. Coming off of an extremely challenging six months work and personally, I really need to decompress.

I'm working hard on my end to clear personal and professional obstacles for the cited three weeks...biggest of which is getting my elderly dog appropriate accommodations for that stint (I won't let her stay with just anyone).

I am, however, on a budget and further, am decidedly NOT an IATA ninja.

This is where hopefully some kind soul on this boar can lend me a hand. I need to book a flight that gets me over and back, for as little as possible - $2000 max budget for flights. AA or Oneworld, because I'm closing in on 2 million miles with them.

I have a vague recollection of people offering this sort of thing as a paid service, which I'm not averse to, but I need to be pointed in the right direction.

I'd be eternally grateful for whatever assistance the FT community might be able to offer.

PS. I've already acquired the ten year, multi entry China visa.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
If there's anything I can contribute its that you should just jump and find out what happens. Europe is a better option though, just because of the strong dollar and weak Euro. I just got back and it's super cheap.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by greycap7
If there's anything I can contribute its that you should just jump and find out what happens. Europe is a better option though, just because of the strong dollar and weak Euro. I just got back and it's super cheap.
I hear 'ya and agree the Euro hasn't been this attractive since...a long time.

However, the idea of a guest room in two locations in Asia makes it potentially more affordable.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Sorry, but FT is not the place for fare requests. There are plenty of resources and online services for finding tickets.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...faqs-more.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...ggregators.htm
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
You missed the part about being a Nigerian prince with recoverable funds
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Find a travel agent, they can help you find fares
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by greycap7
It's not a strong dollar and weak euro, it's just a strong dollar. They are two sides of the same coin, so to speak. QECB definitely "weakened" the euro but most flows have been to USD. So look at anything in dollar denominated terms...it's most likely cheaper over the past 6 months. Crude, EM currencies, etc.

Basically anyone who is naturally long dollars, should take an opportunity to sell some here (i.e. by visiting other countries).
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
google.com/flights is easy to use. Pick multi-city, and under Airline pick Oneworld. Here is a sample, spend some time experimenting with it, try different dates, and see what you can find. No need to be an IATA expert.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...L10;a=ONEWORLD
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by QEternity
It's not a strong dollar and weak euro, it's just a strong dollar. They are two sides of the same coin, so to speak. QECB definitely "weakened" the euro but most flows have been to USD. So look at anything in dollar denominated terms...it's most likely cheaper over the past 6 months. Crude, EM currencies, etc.

Basically anyone who is naturally long dollars, should take an opportunity to sell some here (i.e. by visiting other countries).
That's what I meant, the quantitative easing by the European Central bank has devalued it a little bit. But the strong dollar is what is driving the currency rates. Thanks for the insight. I'm an econ major in school right now, and this stuff is really exciting!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:31 pm

Have you considered using kayak?

http://www.kayak.de/flights/ORD-PVG%...ORD/2015-05-28
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
Find a travel agent, they can help you find fares
Agree. Fare requests aren't really encouraged on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.