AA: LAX-DFW-HKG-DFW-LAX $695, 18692eqm, 3.7cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: LAX-DFW-HKG-DFW-LAX $695, 18692eqm, 3.7cpm

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
AA:LAX-DFW-HKG (Sept 29/30th Departure; Oct 5th Return); $650; 3.47 cpm; 18.7K Miles

it is one of the most difficult upgrade in the system. EXP generally needs 9 or More months and luck to clear
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: 1K, XP, Marriott Gold, Avis
AA:LAX-DFW-HKG (Sept 29/30th Departure; Oct 5th Return); $650; 3.47 cpm; 18.7K Miles

Why is the upgrade so difficult to get? Is it because J sells out, AA doesnt offer it period? Both?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by contecsa
Why is the upgrade so difficult to get? Is it because J sells out, AA doesnt offer it period? Both?
AA acts as price leader in J on this route (undercutting CX by thousands of dollars) and they indeed sell most seats.
There's an 80-page thread about upgrades on this route - that alone should tell us something
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: 1K, XP, Marriott Gold, Avis

Thank you! Will read it!!! Have a nice day!!!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by aktchi
If you are not EXP who booked almost a year in advance, I wouldn't count on SWU clearing. This would be a brutal MR in coach, though certainly good CPM.

I would try to find SE Asia runs via NRT. SWUs would have better chance of clearing and the coach, if you get stuck there, a tad more humane.
The downside to the NRT routes is that you're guaranteed stuck in JL Y for 6+ hours, albeit you usually could have a poor man's J with your own Y row, especially down to CGK.

Originally Posted by acvitale
it is one of the most difficult upgrade in the system. EXP generally needs 9 or More months and luck to clear
I'm 8/10 on this route and the 2 that didn't clear were booked 2 weeks out, and both missed by 1 slot. Although it is true you're fighting with tons of EP on the list, the day of the week also matters tremendously as well as checking how much MCE is filled before booking, which is a decent indicator of EP on the list. I also find it helpful to call the EP desk as sometimes they're able to clear you even though there is no C space. There's an entire thread on this route/ugprade in the AA forum.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:27 pm

[QUOTE=frudd38;25254897]The downside to the NRT routes is that you're guaranteed stuck in JL Y for 6+ hours, albeit you usually could have a poor man's J with your own Y row, especially down to CGK.

As AA EXP, don' you get automatic upgrade to premium economy on JL? I thought JL recognized AA EXP and offer similar benefits, except SWU on partner airlines.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Thank you! Will read it!!! Have a nice day!!!
I'm calling BS

No way you'll read all 80 pages of the same thing

lol
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:35 pm

MIA routes

You guys at the west coast are lucky... as soon as I replace LAX with MIA, prices double!! Still haven't been able to find good deals like that out of Miami. I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by frudd38
The downside to the NRT routes is that you're guaranteed stuck in JL Y for 6+ hours, albeit you usually could have a poor man's J with your own Y row, especially down to CGK.
There are much worse places to get stuck than JL Y. The NRT-CGK trek isn't too bad in Y, especially with JL's superb service.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=flyersolo;25255526]
Originally Posted by frudd38

As AA EXP, don' you get automatic upgrade to premium economy on JL? I thought JL recognized AA EXP and offer similar benefits, except SWU on partner airlines.
No, not according to the CGK MR threads. But the agents block out rows of Y for Emerald if empty.

Originally Posted by brewdog11
There are much worse places to get stuck than JL Y. The NRT-CGK trek isn't too bad in Y, especially with JL's superb service.
Yes, I know that. It's just the gamble you take with 17 hours of AA's 77w J/Y vs 10 hours recliner J plus 6 hours JL Y
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:11 pm

[QUOTE=frudd38;25256814]
Originally Posted by flyersolo

No, not according to the CGK MR threads. But the agents block out rows of Y for Emerald if empty.

Yes, I know that. It's just the gamble you take with 17 hours of AA's 77w J/Y vs 10 hours recliner J plus 6 hours JL Y
Link to the CGK MR threads?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olouie

Link to the CGK MR threads?
There are one or two in particular from last year that talk about the MR logistics in depth, I believe the title had ORD routing. Sorry I'm not going to traverse through them, but it is there.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: QF, LM, USDM, AA
I'm about to book this in reverse, HKG-DFW-LAX//NYC-DFW-HKG for about $750 or so...

Hey I'm planning to do a Plat challenge and so with another flight in the US should get the 10,000 points... Just wondering, if you fly on CX but on an AA codeshare, do those flights count towards the challenge or does the metal you fly on have to one of those several airlines (Qantas, BA, etc) mentioned in the challenge?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by casanovawa
I'm about to book this in reverse, HKG-DFW-LAX//NYC-DFW-HKG for about $750 or so...

Hey I'm planning to do a Plat challenge and so with another flight in the US should get the 10,000 points... Just wondering, if you fly on CX but on an AA codeshare, do those flights count towards the challenge or does the metal you fly on have to one of those several airlines (Qantas, BA, etc) mentioned in the challenge?
AA codeshares are eligible, just make sure the booking class earns enough points! (Not miles)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Add GRU-lax

it will cost anywhere from 1,280 ( low) to 2,100, but will produce 31,004 EQM! Also you only need 1 SWU for each of 2 segments to Hong Kong (GRU-lax-dfw-Hkg). If it works out, you will be sitting in a very good deal. The wild card is possible change In Minimal revenue spend to get EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.