TK: IAH to NRT (Via IST) - 4cpm - $1014, 23920 EQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman

Going the long way around the world! Should net 23920 EQM banked to UA (I can't see to get any site to show me the fare class, maybe someone more experienced than me can find it!). UA has 100% EQM for all TK fare classes as far as I can see from the united website...

Found via Kayak, bookable on multiple sites, can't see to get it to appear on google flights though!

Dates I searched were 20th Nov to 29th Nov... Nice Thanks Giving get away!

https://www.kayak.com/flights/IAH-TY...578d2444506363
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Check the UA website more carefully: some TK classes (such as W) earn 0%. others earn 50% or 75%. https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...spx?ItemId=306

There are probably many threads about looking up fare codes. I usually get them from an ITA search first, though the fare might not exactly match what you see on the OTA due to OTA fees. Some OTAs will eventually let you see the detailed fare rules, and you can tell the booking code based on the first letter of the fare name.

ITA tells me that this fare is probably "P" which earns 0% on UA going forward, assuming it's on TK ticket stock.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigE
ITA tells me that this fare is probably "P" which earns 0% on UA going forward, assuming it's on TK ticket stock.
I would be all over this like a cheap suit if it earned at least 50% on UA. Especially since you can structure overnight layovers in IST on both legs. But yeah...ITA says P = 0% on UA. Is there an OTA that displays fare classes? UA's site doesn't seem to be willing to show this flight.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
This would not even qualify as good airfares, TK is offering JFK-IST-TPE starting $741 ai. For UA, G, W, and P give you 0 mile, even with TK's own M&S P accrues 25% of miles so around 6000 status miles and that's about 16 cpm. You'd be better off flying YYZ-IST-HKG in J for under 10 cpm at the moment.

These days, in order to renew/upgrade your status quickly you'll need to fly J long haul. The days of cheap/easy/quick *G are long gone.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by vincewy
This would not even qualify as good airfares, TK is offering JFK-IST-TPE starting $741 ai. For UA, G, W, and P give you 0 mile, even with TK's own M&S P accrues 25% of miles so around 6000 status miles and that's about 16 cpm. You'd be better off flying YYZ-IST-HKG in J for under 10 cpm at the moment.

These days, in order to renew/upgrade your status quickly you'll need to fly J long haul. The days of cheap/easy/quick *G are long gone.
What dates for yyz-hkg with TK?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by travellermatt
Going the long way around the world! Should net 23920 EQM banked to UA (I can't see to get any site to show me the fare class, maybe someone more experienced than me can find it!). UA has 100% EQM for all TK fare classes as far as I can see from the united website...

Found via Kayak, bookable on multiple sites, can't see to get it to appear on google flights though!

Dates I searched were 20th Nov to 29th Nov... Nice Thanks Giving get away!

https://www.kayak.com/flights/IAH-TY...578d2444506363
Expedia is one of the easier mainstream booking sites that will give you the fare class. ITA Matrix as well, however you can't actually book from there.

TK unfortunately has several very common cheapo fares that don't earn on UA. Only a handful of cities have the cheapest fare in an earning bucket for UA Mileage Plus for USA to Asia routings. (JFK used to, not sure if still so).

As for your assumption that all TK fares earn, unfortunately UA nor most airlines don't post common fares that earn 0% (wish they would, certainly takes any guesswork out for people unfamiliar and increases awareness to be careful if buying cheap tickets on certain airlines - LX and OS are others to be particularly careful of). As mentioned in another post for TK these evil fares are W, G, and P. As far as other fares earning 100%, that would have been the earnings chart for pre-3/1. Right above that you should see a link to click for non-016 ticket stock which will bring up the new post-3/1 reduced level chart.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
What dates for yyz-hkg with TK?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...ng-3126-a.html

It's all over, if no J fares (those under $4000 CAD) then try to do a stopover in IST for over 24 hours and sometimes both segments will default to J fares. Again, not always.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by vincewy
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...ng-3126-a.html

It's all over, if no J fares (those under $4000 CAD) then try to do a stopover in IST for over 24 hours and sometimes both segments will default to J fares. Again, not always.
That's a nice little trick when you have the extra day to pull it off. TK is notorious for married segment fare bucket availability which is overridden when you do a full stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.