Search

UA: SMF-LAX-HNL-OGG-LAX-SFO-SMF 3-7 nts $366

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:10 pm
formerly known as RK7
Original Poster

Programs: Many
UA: SMF-LAX-HNL-OGG-LAX-SFO-SMF 3-7 nts $366

Nice fares to Maui right now from SMF in Feb and March. Nice MR yields around 7000 miles at a cost of a little over .05
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:54 pm

Can you provide the itinerary you booked?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:57 pm
formerly known as RK7
Original Poster

I didn't book. I was just looking around on ITA and found several fares (including the one in the title). Just checked again and one could do 2/4 dep and 2/11 return: SMF-LAX-HNL-OGG-HNL-SFO-SMF for $366 on a G fare.

For a true MR, one could do 2/4 dep and return on the red-eye that night for $358:
Sacramento (SMF) to San Francisco (SFO) - Mon, Feb 4
United 5445 Dep: 5:35AM Arr: 6:23AM 0h 48m Economy (G)
San Francisco (SFO) to Kahului (OGG) - Mon, Feb 4
United 52 Dep: 8:38AM Arr: 12:13PM 5h 35m Economy (G)
Kahului (OGG) to San Francisco (SFO) - Mon, Feb 4
United 1131 Dep: 10:34PM Arr: 5:20AM 4h 46m Economy (G)
San Francisco (SFO) to Sacramento (SMF) - Tue, Feb 5
United 5398 Dep: 7:00AM Arr: 7:46AM 0h 46m Economy (G)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $358.00
Total cost for 1 passenger
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
I'd be wary of any SMF-SFO flight in January or February due to weather. Am seeing some 3-night itineraries leaving on Mondays thru LAX to OGG for $358.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 1:13 am

CPM is 6.3¢ via SFO and neither UA or DL require an overnight stay with this fare. Also available on DL's codeshare of AS' nonstop.

Not sure why this fare is notated with "3-7 nts".
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
CPM is 6.3¢ via SFO and neither UA or DL require an overnight stay with this fare. Also available on DL's codeshare of AS' nonstop.

Not sure why this fare is notated with "3-7 nts".
The AS flight has regularly been under 300 this past fall. From the UA perspective those fares were matched with one stop in LAX. Still for peak season travel this is a decent fare.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:22 am

Other than adding the CPM for comparison purposes, the bulk of my post was questioning why such an extensive stay requirement is noted for this fare, when any cursory review of the fare calendar in ITA reveals that there is no obligation to stay even one night to take advantage of this fare.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Other than adding the CPM for comparison purposes, the bulk of my post was questioning why such an extensive stay requirement is noted for this fare, when any cursory review of the fare calendar in ITA reveals that there is no obligation to stay even one night to take advantage of this fare.
I usually think of a "MR" to Hawaii as one that might include at least one night on the islands, since it is a pretty nice place to be. The fares are too high to justify a typical MR with no overnight stay - one can better do that flying a transcon east and back.

I've booked a couple of cheap ($300) RTs to the islands from SFO the past few months just for some R&R as well as padding my UA PQM balances.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:24 pm
formerly known as RK7
Original Poster

CPM is 6.3¢ via SFO and neither UA or DL require an overnight stay with this fare. Also available on DL's codeshare of AS' nonstop. Not sure why this fare is notated with "3-7 nts".
Same as previous poster. Hard for me to do a MR to Maui without spending a couple of days. Does that then mean that it is not a MR and not just a vacation? Not in my book as the fare and mileage benefits would have been the impetus to plan the trip.

Just checked and there are still many dates available. For those wish a pure MR, one could go 2/5 10:43am SMF-SFO-LAX-OGG ret 2/5 9:42pm OGG-LAX-SFO-SMF for $366 = 5.2¢ and a PQM yield of 6960.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by RK7
Same as previous poster. Hard for me to do a MR to Maui without spending a couple of days. Does that then mean that it is not a MR and not just a vacation? Not in my book as the fare and mileage benefits would have been the impetus to plan the trip.
Perhaps I'm just not getting my point across.

By the title of your thread, it appears that a 3-7 night stay is a requirement of the fare. That may be a turn-off to folks looking for a quick MR or a longer stay. How many nights you or others decide to spend in the Islands is none of my business or concern, not leading others into confusion was.

Really, just a simple question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.