Chicago Pizza Guide - Deep Dish to Tavern Style and Everything in Between

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Pizza Guide - Deep Dish to Tavern Style and Everything in Between

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

If you go to Malnati, make sure to ask for the butter crust.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cur
what i want to know is why is no one vouching for the north side/blue line places i mentioned? rated well on google, i like greasy spoon, seems to be neighborhood haunts, etcetc, what am i missing? i had malnati's which was good but i just know deep down (like that pun) there is better. or maybe malnati is the best and i just need to make something better at home for everyone here. someone please confirm or deny this. surely there some neighborhood dive in cicero that does it 11/10.
I think part of the issue is that people who live here don't eat a lot of deep dish pizza. I know that's not what the many tv shows and articles would have you believe . You will rarely see anyone in a neighborhood bar/restaurant ordering deep dish, it's usually the Chicago tavern style thin crust. The "neighborhood haunts" specialize in tavern style, not deep dish. It's a unique style of thin crust, excellent pizza, but not what you're looking for.

Except when out of town guests are visiting, I'd guess most people here eat deep dish maybe once a year, and it's at the big places downtown. And if you took a poll, Malnati's would probably be mentioned most often. You really can't go wrong there.

Pequod's has the ambiance you want, but not the crust. Completely understand...I like their crust, but there's too much of it in relation to the toppings. It's a few blocks from my house and I enjoy their thin crust. I don't think you'll have a wait there at the times you mention.

Honestly, for what you describe, you'll get the best quality at the downtown places, IMO.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by JBord
I think part of the issue is that people who live here don't eat a lot of deep dish pizza. I know that's not what the many tv shows and articles would have you believe . You will rarely see anyone in a neighborhood bar/restaurant ordering deep dish, it's usually the Chicago tavern style thin crust. The "neighborhood haunts" specialize in tavern style, not deep dish. It's a unique style of thin crust, excellent pizza, but not what you're looking for.

Except when out of town guests are visiting, I'd guess most people here eat deep dish maybe once a year.
I'm certainly not "most people," though I do eat plenty of thin crust too.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I'm certainly not "most people," though I do eat plenty of thin crust too.
Lol...put a pizza in front of me, and I'll eat it!

I probably should have phrased my post in terms of general availability of thin crust vs. deep dish rather than preference. It takes a long time to cook and is a heavier meal, making it fairly unsuitable for your typical neighborhood restaurants and taverns. And for those of us living in the city but not "downtown", if you want deep dish you go to River North.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cur
hey i have a 11 hour layover from 0900-2000 on a weekday. so after polaris lounge nap+drink+eat i'm definitely going to crave some deep dish.

i've had lou's and uno, both decent but looking to mix it up, prefer something more neighborhood'y (ie cheap beer in a plastic cup). what would yall recommend? pequod’s? what about gino's? spuntino? dino's? anything else?

looking for quintessential deep dish (flaky crust, tons of cheese and sause) and i don't care if it's stuffed or traditional but i'd like to try pan pizza (as per the article above). i like my pies simple: cheese and 1 meat or cheese and 1 or 2 veg. or just cheese and basil.

loose criteria:
-deep dish (all we have where i live is amazing neapolitan pies, i'm over it)
-close to the el
-in town (or on the blue line) so i can pivot afterwards to a museum or something
-open between meals (1400-1700)
-not a chain (but don't care if it is the best)
-beer + bar + relaxed environment

edit: just saw this devastating photo of bread from pequod's, this epitomizes what i do not want: https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...nRrMz_8Q/o.jpg
If the weather is decent, a very doable option is Giordano's in Rosemont. Take the Blue Line just one stop to River Road and then walk up River Road to Higgins Road. Giordano's is right at the intersection of River and Higgins.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If the weather is decent, a very doable option is Giordano's in Rosemont. Take the Blue Line just one stop to River Road and then walk up River Road to Higgins Road. Giordano's is right at the intersection of River and Higgins.
This has been posted many times, but bears repeating. If you like Giordano's fine, but it's not traditional deep dish pizza. It it stuffed pizza (i.e., the toppings are "stuffed" between a double crust with tomato sauce covering the top crust). I know the poster is interested in either one, but for anyone else, they should be advised.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Feb 24, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Giordanos is not in the same league as Pequods or Malnatis.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:09 am
glg

Originally Posted by JBord
I probably should have phrased my post in terms of general availability of thin crust vs. deep dish rather than preference. It takes a long time to cook and is a heavier meal, making it fairly unsuitable for your typical neighborhood restaurants and taverns. And for those of us living in the city but not "downtown", if you want deep dish you go to River North.
It's been years since I've gone to River North for deep dish, the crowds of tourists make the lines insane. There are multiple Malnati's on Lincoln (2600/Wrightwood, new one at 4400/Montrose, original in Lincolnwood). Pequods on Clybourn. Those cover the once in a great while I want deep dish. Giordano's on Belmont just west of the Red/Brown/Purple Line covers stuffed.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:59 am
Suspended

Anyone have a tavern style recommendation for tomorrow? Got an out of town visitor. Anywhere in the city is fine.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Terminator8
Anyone have a tavern style recommendation for tomorrow? Got an out of town visitor. Anywhere in the city is fine.
Marie's
4129 W Lawrence Ave
Chicago, IL 60630

Vito and Nick's
8435 S Pulaski Rd
Chicago, IL 60652
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by glg
It's been years since I've gone to River North for deep dish, the crowds of tourists make the lines insane. There are multiple Malnati's on Lincoln (2600/Wrightwood, new one at 4400/Montrose, original in Lincolnwood). Pequods on Clybourn. Those cover the once in a great while I want deep dish. Giordano's on Belmont just west of the Red/Brown/Purple Line covers stuffed.
I mentioned Pequods and the chain outposts in earlier posts. I guess your experience is a little different than mine. I don't think I've EVER gone for deep dish with other Chicagoans. The times I've gone, it's been with visitors who just have to have deep dish, and then it's usually combined with other touristy things, thus River North. But yeah, you can absolutely get the chains outside of downtown. I've found very few small neighborhood places that do deep dish outside of Pequod's, but maybe it's because I don't look that hard.

I'm pretty sure last summer I finally convinced my brother that deep dish is for tourists after he tried tavern style.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Vito and Nick's was absolutely delicious! Excellent suggestion.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:08 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
This has been posted many times, but bears repeating. If you like Giordano's fine, but it's not traditional deep dish pizza. It it stuffed pizza (i.e., the toppings are "stuffed" between a double crust with tomato sauce covering the top crust).
Thank you ILP, VERY important difference, most stuffed pizzas have way too much cheese IMO.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Thank you ILP, VERY important difference, most stuffed pizzas have way too much cheese IMO.
Are you suggesting this New Yorker, who likes deep dish every so often, stay away from Giordano's?

I'll be in town in May, and will post a lunch in the Community forum if anyone wants to join me.

dh
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Are you suggesting this New Yorker, who likes deep dish every so often, stay away from Giordano's?

I'll be in town in May, and will post a lunch in the Community forum if anyone wants to join me.

dh
Absolutely not!

I'll go with you to Giordano's anytime!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.