Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago Pizza Guide - Deep Dish to Tavern Style and Everything in Between

Chicago Pizza Guide - Deep Dish to Tavern Style and Everything in Between

Old Dec 27, 16, 1:10 pm
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: ORD and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 73,440
Chicago Pizza Guide - Deep Dish to Tavern Style and Everything in Between

A summary of all the different kinds - deep dish, pan, stuffed, thin, tavern, Quad Cities, New York, New Haven, Neapolitan, thick topping, bakery, and on and on and where to get them. Dinner may come early today.

Chicago Does Your City's Pizza Better Than Your City Does

We'll hand it to other parts of America. We love eating floppy thin-crust pizzas, otherwise known as New York-style. The Neapolitan type of pizza made in Connecticut called New Haven-style is wonderful too. And we really enjoy "Quad Cities"-style pizza with its malt crust, scissor cut, and the toppings hidden underneath the cheese.

But we can do it too, and do it well.
------------
All of this is really to say Chicago pizza is the best. And if you ever run into someone who says otherwise, you'll know how to tell them they're wrong.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...n-style-beyond
ILuvParis is online now  
Old Dec 28, 16, 7:46 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 4,435
Good article, I think it represents the many styles of Chicago pizza well.

I'm a little disappointed it didn't name a few more tavern-style places on the north side. I'm always looking for a good one to try!
JBord is offline  
Old Dec 28, 16, 7:50 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: ORD and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 73,440
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Good article, I think it represents the many styles of Chicago pizza well.

I'm a little disappointed it didn't name a few more tavern-style places on the north side. I'm always looking for a good one to try!
Beer Bistro - $5.00 pizzas on Mondays!
ILuvParis is online now  
Old Dec 31, 16, 10:01 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: AA
Posts: 1,723
Interesting. As a lifelong Chicagolandian, I can say I like almost all types of pizzas available here and mentioned in the article.

My least favorites are bready pan pizzas like Pequod's and Burt's (never got into the cult love for Burt's*) and bakery pizza.

(*But I am a firm believer in the Pizza Cognition Theory, so I understand Burt's lovers well.)

Malnati's is my go-to deep-dish pizza, but I like their thin-crust pizza too. I might like it even more. Some Chicagoans like to say that no one but tourists eat deep-dish, but there wouldn't be so many busy and successful outposts of Malnati's and Giordano's and the like throughout the city and suburbs if that were true.

I've probably never met a tavern-style square-cut thin crust I didn't like, or a cracker-crust pizza.

I agree with the article that Home Run Inn is the best of the locally available frozen pizzas. But take a trip to Woodman's grocery store just over the border in Wisconsin and you will be pleasantly surprised by the wide array of frozen pizza options available in the great white north.

I know it's not to everyone's taste but I do love good stuffed pizza such as Nancy's, because I can never get enough cheese.

I'm surprised to not see Forno Rosso among the prime examples of Neopolitan pizza in Chicago.

I'm also a little surprised not to see double-decker pizza mentioned: that's a thin crust with two bottom crusts, with maybe one ingredient of choice between the two crusts and a regular thin-crust built on top. But maybe that's just a Lake County thing. The young whippersnappers who write for DNAInfo probably don't get beyond the city limits much.

Last edited by cubbie; Dec 31, 16 at 10:23 pm
cubbie is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 8:20 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 4,435
Originally Posted by cubbie View Post
I'm also a little surprised not to see double-decker pizza mentioned: that's a thin crust with two bottom crusts, with maybe one ingredient of choice between the two crusts and a regular thin-crust built on top. But maybe that's just a Lake County thing. The young whippersnappers who write for DNAInfo probably don't get beyond the city limits much.
I lived in Lake County for many years (ahh Morgan's pizza in Libertyville!) and don't recall seeing a double decker. Where would one find this? Can't say I'd hurry to try it, but might be interested if I happened to be nearby a place.
JBord is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 1:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: AA
Posts: 1,723
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
I lived in Lake County for many years (ahh Morgan's pizza in Libertyville!) and don't recall seeing a double decker. Where would one find this? Can't say I'd hurry to try it, but might be interested if I happened to be nearby a place.
Three places come to mind. I will check the addresses and menus and post another reply.
cubbie is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 5:40 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 252
This is very simple:
Best Deep - Pequods
Best Neopolitan - Spacca Napoli
Terminator8 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 7:31 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 4,435
Originally Posted by Terminator8 View Post
This is very simple:
Best Deep - Pequods
Best Neopolitan - Spacca Napoli
Ah, but it leaves out the essential Chicago pizza, the kind most people who live within the city limits eat regularly - the tavern-style pizza. I think there might be more debate about where to get the best based on what neighborhood a person lives in.
JBord is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 9:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 4,531
Originally Posted by Terminator8 View Post
This is very simple:
Best Deep - Pequods
Best Neopolitan - Spacca Napoli
Agree on Spacca Napoli. As a native, the only time I have deep dish is when we are having pizza with out of town visitors. I never seek it out on its own. Thin crust winner is the original Home Run Inn and random delivery is usually form Lou Malnatti's or D'augustinos.
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Feb 23, 17, 1:19 am
  #10  
cur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Posts: 7,036
hey i have a 11 hour layover from 0900-2000 on a weekday. so after polaris lounge nap+drink+eat i'm definitely going to crave some deep dish.

i've had lou's and uno, both decent but looking to mix it up, prefer something more neighborhood'y (ie cheap beer in a plastic cup). what would yall recommend? pequod’s? what about gino's? spuntino? dino's? anything else?

looking for quintessential deep dish (flaky crust, tons of cheese and sause) and i don't care if it's stuffed or traditional but i'd like to try pan pizza (as per the article above). i like my pies simple: cheese and 1 meat or cheese and 1 or 2 veg. or just cheese and basil.

loose criteria:
-deep dish (all we have where i live is amazing neapolitan pies, i'm over it)
-close to the el
-in town (or on the blue line) so i can pivot afterwards to a museum or something
-open between meals (1400-1700)
-not a chain (but don't care if it is the best)
-beer + bar + relaxed environment

edit: just saw this devastating photo of bread from pequod's, this epitomizes what i do not want: https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...nRrMz_8Q/o.jpg

Last edited by cur; Feb 23, 17 at 1:34 am
cur is offline  
Old Feb 23, 17, 6:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 4,435
There aren't a lot of neighborhood places that do deep dish, at least on the north side of the city (or maybe we Chicagoans just ignore them ). I'm not as familiar with the south. Pequod's is one, plus there are the Gino's, Giordano's, and Malnati's around. For what you want, your safe bet is probably Malnati's or Gino's.

Art of Pizza is good, but more of a takeout joint with a few tables.

I haven't been to Bartoli's in Roscoe Village but have heard people say it's good. Supposed to be similar to Gino's, on Addison and Damen, nice little neighborhood. I won't personally recommend a place I haven't tried though.
JBord is offline  
Old Feb 23, 17, 11:01 am
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 252
Pequods is the best pizza in Chicago so not sure why you don't want it. But Malnati's is very good too so I'd go for that. You can take an L to downtown and get your pie for lunch, and then head back.
Terminator8 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 17, 12:25 pm
  #13  
cur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Posts: 7,036
Originally Posted by Terminator8 View Post
Pequods is the best pizza in Chicago so not sure why you don't want it. But Malnati's is very good too so I'd go for that. You can take an L to downtown and get your pie for lunch, and then head back.
this is why (notice the bread, i dunno if this was a pizza malfunction but if this was the norm.... wow)
https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...nRrMz_8Q/o.jpg

but ok i'll maybe consider pequods. isn't there always a wait though, or weekday 2-5pm a good time

what i want to know is why is no one vouching for the north side/blue line places i mentioned? rated well on google, i like greasy spoon, seems to be neighborhood haunts, etcetc, what am i missing? i had malnati's which was good but i just know deep down (like that pun) there is better. or maybe malnati is the best and i just need to make something better at home for everyone here. someone please confirm or deny this. surely there some neighborhood dive in cicero that does it 11/10.

i know i'm being difficult but if yall ever need bbq advice in tx you know who to pm or hit up on the texas forum. i'm pretty crazy over food. i just know there has this one place somewhere in chicagoland that just does deep dish better than anything else (knowing i love greasy flakey crazy unique $2 draft in a plastic cup kinda places). or maybe i need to manage expectations better. seriously i live in africa, we got incredible neapolitan pies but i need something american
cur is offline  
Old Feb 23, 17, 12:32 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 252
I've had Gino's and think it's not as good as the two places I mentioned. Haven't been to the other ones you mentioned mostly because I'm content with Pequods and Malnatis.
Terminator8 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 17, 2:45 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: ORD and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 73,440
Originally Posted by Terminator8 View Post
Pequods is the best pizza in Chicago so not sure why you don't want it. But Malnati's is very good too so I'd go for that. You can take an L to downtown and get your pie for lunch, and then head back.
Originally Posted by cur View Post
this is why (notice the bread, i dunno if this was a pizza malfunction but if this was the norm.... wow)
https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...nRrMz_8Q/o.jpg

but ok i'll maybe consider pequods. isn't there always a wait though, or weekday 2-5pm a good time

what i want to know is why is no one vouching for the north side/blue line places i mentioned? rated well on google, i like greasy spoon, seems to be neighborhood haunts, etcetc, what am i missing? i had malnati's which was good but i just know deep down (like that pun) there is better. or maybe malnati is the best and i just need to make something better at home for everyone here. someone please confirm or deny this. surely there some neighborhood dive in cicero that does it 11/10.

i know i'm being difficult but if yall ever need bbq advice in tx you know who to pm or hit up on the texas forum. i'm pretty crazy over food. i just know there has this one place somewhere in chicagoland that just does deep dish better than anything else (knowing i love greasy flakey crazy unique $2 draft in a plastic cup kinda places). or maybe i need to manage expectations better. seriously i live in africa, we got incredible neapolitan pies but i need something american
The crust is very bread-like at Pequod's, but the carmelized edges are what make their pizza! I'm not a huge fan of their pizza sauce. But, I do enjoy their pizza on occasion.

The "sauce" at Lou Malnati's is actually crushed tomatoes, which I prefer. Further, the crust is actually not thick, but actually fairly thin and flakey or crunchy (at least until it's cut and the "juices" run). It's the toppings that make the pizza thick.

If you want flakey crust, I'd stick with Lou's or Uno (or Due downtown - NOT the Uno's chain). I'm sure there are others, but I never see a reason to go to places other than those two for deep dish pizza.
ILuvParis is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread