ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I just checked the CDA O'Hare website and I don't see any regularly scheduled domestic airlines flying out of T5. So it looks like that virtually all passengers arriving at T5 are international and are exiting the airport as their final destination or are connecting to flights out of one of the three domestic terminals..

http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myfl...s/default.aspx

Last edited by cheltzel; May 31, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I just checked the CDA O'Hare website and I don't see any regularly scheduled domestic airlines flying out of T5. So it looks like that virtually all passengers arriving at T5 are international and are exiting the airport as their final destination or are connecting to flights out of one of the three domestic terminals..

http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myfl...s/default.aspx
EI/EY and soon to be more one that are pre-cleared use T5. The number of flights that are precleared would have to hit a threshold before considering busing back to the domestics.

You're also correct, there's no fully domestic carrier that uses T5. Nothing prevents one from doing so though.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ords
EI/EY and soon to be more one that are pre-cleared use T5. The number of flights that are precleared would have to hit a threshold before considering busing back to the domestics.

You're also correct, there's no fully domestic carrier that uses T5. Nothing prevents one from doing so though.
I think it would take a lot more than 2x DUB-ORD and 1x AUH-ORD to get the reverse busing going. I assume the reconfiguration of the traffic flow for connecting passengers would be complex (and costly).
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:29 am

Where in T5 are the shuttles planning to drop off passengers?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I assume the reconfiguration of the traffic flow for connecting passengers would be complex (and costly).
Why would this be complex? All you'd have to do is switch the jet-bridge to dump passengers back into the regular T5 airside area, instead of routing them downstairs to customs. Unless I'm missing something.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
...there are a handful of flights from pre-clearance airports such as DUB and AUH. But even in those cases, passengers would have to re-clear security in ORD, so I assume they're dumped out landside at T5.
I have taken AUH-ORD on EY a few times and can confirm that pax (as well as their bags) arrive landside in T5.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by aktchi
I have taken AUH-ORD on EY a few times and can confirm that pax (as well as their bags) arrive landside in T5.
Do flights from AUH and DUB allow through checking of baggage to final destination for connecting passengers (no need to recheck at ORD)? Without that, an airside T5 to T1/2/3 would be useless to anyone except the very few with carry-on only.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Do flights from AUH and DUB allow through checking of baggage to final destination for connecting passengers (no need to recheck at ORD)? Without that, an airside T5 to T1/2/3 would be useless to anyone except the very few with carry-on only.
Good question, I guess that would be up to EY. As someone who lives in Chicago, I never needed this, but it should be an easy question on the EY forum
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
A quick update and correction. T3 Stops will be at the end of G (G17) and K (K20), not H and K as I had posted up thread. Also, DL is now interested with this after seeing the presentation. For right now, you'll see it start with T1/T3 and if it's doable for T2, you'll see T2 added. UA will still be at B1.

June 19th seems to be holding. Signage will start to be placed within both Terminals, it will also be on the CDA website, Twitter and other social media content.

This is seasonal to start but end goal is year around.

I asked about reverse for those that already have cleared at T5 and perhaps wanting to go over to Domestics. That's totally off the table for now.
Just curious as tomorrow is the 19th...any update? Is it going to be running tomorrow?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:42 am

Press release on the FlyChicago.com site and also posted on Facebook. Nice one, @ords, thanks for the early tip! Doesn't seem like UA is included yet.

CDA Press Release

The shuttle isn't super helpful for me since I originate at ORD, but any idea if passengers will be allowed to pass through security at main terminals and shuttle to T5 (assuming ticketed departure out of T5)?

Last edited by bver100; Jun 19, 2017 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by bver100
Press release on the FlyChicago.com site and also posted on Facebook. Nice one, @ords, thanks for the early tip! Doesn't seem like UA is included yet.

CDA Press Release

The shuttle isn't super helpful for me since I originate at ORD, but any idea if passengers will be allowed to pass through security at main terminals and shuttle to T5 (assuming ticketed departure out of T5)?
Since there are a lot of *A flights out of T5 (AI, AV, BR, CM, LO, LX, OS, OZ, SK & TK), I am really surprised that UA didn't jump in on it. Hopefully you can walk airside from T1 all the way over to G17 or K20 in T3 and take the bus instead of having to re-clear security.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Since there are a lot of *A flights out of T5 (AI, AV, BR, CM, LO, LX, OS, OZ, SK & TK), I am really surprised that UA didn't jump in on it. Hopefully you can walk airside from T1 all the way over to G17 or K20 in T3 and take the bus instead of having to re-clear security.
UA pulled out last minute, however once the alliance partners start complaining I'm sure you'll see them starting up.

Feedbacks been extremely positive and yes, anyone ticketed departing from T5 can hop on the bus.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:31 pm

UA pulled out last minute, however once the alliance partners start complaining I'm sure you'll see them starting up.

Feedbacks been extremely positive and yes, anyone ticketed departing from T5 can hop on the bus.
I assume that you mean that anyone with a boarding pass for a flight out of T5 can take the bus. I'll make sure to pass that on if I see something in one of the other forums.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I assume that you mean that anyone with a boarding pass for a flight out of T5 can take the bus. I'll make sure to pass that on if I see something in one of the other forums.
The BA bus required a BA boarding pass, which sometimes posed a problem if you came in on AA and had been unable to print a BP for the BA leg, because it was paid for by BA. It is possible that a ticket or itinerary with a T5 departure would be acceptable for the new bus since it is a more general facility and most of the airlines do not have a presence outside T5.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
No free lounge access in ORD :-/.

Glad to see this though. Sucks for those of us who like to be around lounges and/or big international planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.