Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KWI (Kuwait): Airside in-transit connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KWI (Kuwait): Airside in-transit connection?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Question KWI (Kuwait): Airside in-transit connection?

I'm considering flying from DXB-KWI and connecting there onto the UA flight KWI-IAD departing at 1 am, and I'm wondering whether or not I will need to clear customs/immigration and formally enter Kuwait? Ideally, I'd like to stay airside/sterile, and simply stay in transit (not that I have anything against entering Kuwait, I just don't want to miss my connection because of a long queue at immigration). However, I've never tried doing this in KWI, so would appreciate your help and advice before I purchase my tix.

Along the same lines, would you consider 2 hours to be sufficient for such a connection? If so, that'll allow me to take Jazeera Airways (arriving KWI @ 11 pm) as opposed to FlyDubai (arriving KWI at 10 pm).

I tried to do a TIMATIC search for I-to-I in KWI, but couldn't get it to work. If you happen to know the official I-to-I number, I'd be curious to know that, too.

P.S. If I actually am able to stay airside, would I get to use the UA departure lounge in KWI? Or is the lounge land-side? FWIW, I'll be traveling in J and am *A Gold.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Yes, you can transit airside in KWI. I'd recommend taking the earlier flight though just in case there are any delays, you will have to go to the transit desk in KWI and get your UA boarding pass there (this may take some time).

As a US citizen you can transit in KWI without a visa, but there are some nationalities where this may not be the case so make sure you check this on TIMATIC.

You will be able to use the lounge that UA uses.

The airport itself is very small, so getting around it isn't too much of a factor. Your only issue is if there's a delay on the inbound flight you could miss the UA flight and then have to get a visa on arrival, clear immigration and go find a hotel for the night. That's worth adding in an extra hour. There are a few shops and a couple of fast food restaurants (McDonalds, etc.) for you to pass the time.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:59 pm

I agree this is doable. I took Jazeera up to catch the delta flight in 2009. The transit desk was very small and hidden in a corner. I was preparing to enter the visa line when a lady pointed me to it. Got my BP and sat at the Chili's until boarding. A fairly spartan airport with limited amenities but not bad for an hour or two. 2 hours would be plenty without checked bags but I'm not sure about the process if you do have more than carry ons. It may be necessary to clear immigration, claim and recheck and that could add time. My trip on Jazeera was far easier than navigating the Fly Dubai terminal last year. We took Fly Dubai to Bahrain to join the same UA flight you are after at KWI. At BAH we had to pay to enter the country, claim bags and recheck with United.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Transit question

Hi,

We're flying to KWI from IAD in Business Class, United.

From there taking Gulf Air, To DEL via BAH in Business Class.

I'm 1K and EXP.

From above thread we should be able to go to a transit desk in KWI, we will only have carry on bags. We have a little over 2 hours.

On way home we'll have checked bags.

Will we be able to avoid immigration in KWI both ways. I hope GF will check bags all way through if I show connecting information.

Does this all see OK, I do have a longer layover in KWI on way home. Also what lounges can we use?

Last edited by thepla; Dec 15, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by thepla
Hi,

We're flying to KWI from IAD in Business Class, United.

From there taking Gulf Air, To DEL via BAH in Business Class.

I'm 1K and EXP.

From above thread we should be able to go to a transit desk in KWI, we will only have carry on bags. We have a little over 2 hours.

On way home we'll have checked bags.

Will we be able to avoid immigration in KWI both ways. I hope GF will check bags all way through if I show connecting information.

Does this all see OK, I do have a longer layover in KWI on way home. Also what lounges can we use?
Same ticket? No issues.
Separate ticket? UA may refuse to check bags onto GF.

There are two lounges - Dasman and Pearl I believe - nothing special - but of course better than most USA lounges. No booze.

I was transiting KWI RJ-EY on same ticket and bags never made it....
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
No problem in transit, although the airport sucks ( a few newer restaurants and the improved lounges have improved it a bit over the last few years). You will have to clear the security for the United flight gate (standard for all US bound flights).
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
All this info still valid ? Planning on doing a QR to QR flight ( Back 2 back/instant turnaround ) to burn some points for next year. So fly to KWI from DOH and then fly back to DOH from KWI on the same aircraft all within a hour time frame for the turnaround ?

Anyone know or have any tips/suggestions ?

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:21 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Flame3601
All this info still valid ? Planning on doing a QR to QR flight ( Back 2 back/instant turnaround ) to burn some points for next year. So fly to KWI from DOH and then fly back to DOH from KWI on the same aircraft all within a hour time frame for the turnaround ?

Thanks
Similar here - planning AUH-KWI-DOH-XXX with AUH-KWI on EY then transferring to QR for KWI-DOH-XXX, separate tix, hand baggage only & a 1 hour 40 min. connection. Issues? Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:15 pm

minotaur

monitoring this too....planning to go to frankfurt with a stop in kuwait.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Similar here - planning AUH-KWI-DOH-XXX with AUH-KWI on EY then transferring to QR for KWI-DOH-XXX, separate tix, hand baggage only & a 1 hour 40 min. connection. Issues? Thanks!
Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
monitoring this too....planning to go to frankfurt with a stop in kuwait.
I am actually switching to MCT from my B2B , KWI will be my back up just in case i can not get seats on my desired flights. MCT seems to have a way easier and simplified transit experience and plus alcohol allowed in the lounge , unlike Kuwait where alcohol is pretty much banned.

Hopefully the whole Gulf crisis will be sorted out soon , as i would much rather go to DXB/DWC/AUH.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601

Thanks
Has anyone done this recently without problems.I also want to do a back 2 back instant turnaround on same QR aircraft with hand luggage only and a one and a quarter hour turnaround.
Thank you.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: travel
transit is always hectic job to do. waiting waiting a lot is so difficult.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by chokdee
Has anyone done this recently without problems.I also want to do a back 2 back instant turnaround on same QR aircraft with hand luggage only and a one and a quarter hour turnaround.
Thank you.
I have opt'ed to go via MCT instead, much easier and less stressful with the new terminal in MCT. I have read nothing but poor to sub-par reviews of transit experiences within the context of doing a b2b at KWI. I will do a mini report of how my experience goes in MCT, will try make it wiki worthy thread in the form of a how 2 guide..etc..
Old May 7, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
If you just have hand baggage, you can do an instant turn around. It would be easiest to already have your boarding pass so that you didn't need to wait in the transit desk line.

If you arrive at a gate, you are dumped out from the plane onto the concourse. If you have your boarding pass for the onward flight, find the gate of your departure flight, and go through security at the gate. If you are in the security line at the gate, you will not miss the flight. If you arrive via a bus gate, the bus will drop you off on the immigration level. Take the stairs or the escalator up to the departure concourses, then find your gate and go through security.

The real time suck begins if you need to go outside security to get a bag or check in for your flight. If that's the case, 3 hours minimum is where I would feel comfortable. It's not a nice airport to spend any time in, so don't book yourself an extended stop just to "see the sights"
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:37 am

Is this still possible? I don't qualify for a Kuwait visa on arrival but I thought of the following:
  • Take a Jazeera flight to Dubai (qualify for visa on arrival)
  • During the transit stopover in KWI, go the transfer desk, get Turkish airlines boarding pass and fly to JFK
I know this is risky in case the Turkish flight gets delayed etc., but assuming that my flight to JFK is on time, is there something else which could potentially go wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.