UMs ex-TLV

Old Aug 11, 18, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA nobody, AA GLD, MrIce: UA Premier
UMs ex-TLV

Not sure whether to post this here or in the Travel with Children forum mod, please move if deemed appropriate:

Anyone sent a UM out of Tel Aviv? I have an extended work thing in Israel next summer, and Id like my will-be 11yo (a *highly* experienced UM traveler) to join me for part of it. Before Im finished with my obligation, Ill need to send her back to Chicago for camp.

What is the interrogation process like for UMs/people dropping off UMs? Last time I flew out of TLV (chronicled in another thread here), I got the one-step-down-from-private-room-and-strip-search treatment. I want to adequately prepare her without causing unnecessary anxiety. FWIW, Ill be flying on a fresh passport, w/o all of the Islamic country stamps I had in the old one. TIA!
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:55 am

I have no experience with UMs (though of course it's done all the time out of TLV), but: if you can have one of your Israeli colleagues, with an Israeli ID, accompany her to the airport and in particular to the pre-checkin security screening, and if this person will talk with the security agent and explain the situation, she will get the "Israeli treatment", meaning a 30-second standard questionnaire.

Shuly
Old Aug 13, 18, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also have no experience with UMs. That said OP if if I was doing it I would only send a UM on DL or UA, since no one flys non-stop TLV-ORD. LY will mean having to change terminals and carriers.Id rather it be 1 carrier in case something should hit the fan and the same term or at least by it being the same carrier less of a chance of a botched pass-off. I wouldnt use AC or any European carrier since if something hits the fan she will be stuck outside the US . I believe that the non-US Carriers will look after a UM much better, but dont want to deal with the kid being stuck in ZRH,VIE,FRA,LHR etc and having to Overnight due to missing the connecti8ng flight. Out of EWR and JFK miss 1 flights there are others Out ofDL and UA Id prefer UA since DL probably ha slimited flights JFK-ORD while UA will have many
Old Aug 13, 18, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input thus far. FYI, UA doesnt allow connections with UMs, period, domestic or Intl, so UA is out. I was looking at DL/AF as probably the most reasonable option of carriers.

As far as having an Israeli friend or co-worker drop her at the airport, Im not sure Id be comfortable imposing on someone like that, especially if shes on a late-night/middle-of-the-night departure. And ironically, my best Israeli contact is a blond, blue-eyed, hippie/burner-type who regularly gets hassled by security at Israeli airports.
Old Aug 13, 18, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icedancer View Post
Thanks for the input thus far. FYI, UA doesn’t allow connections with UMs, period, domestic or Int’l, so UA is out. I was looking at DL/AF as probably the most reasonable option of carriers.
DL has 1 daily with a late night out of TLV arriving like 5am into JFK, problem maybe if theres a ORD flight out of JFK early morn . If not and UA is out, Id probably want to send the kid with BA, at least its the same Term @ LHR and everyone speaks English which isnt then case @ CVG, dont do BA/AA as AA uses a different Term @ LHR. Another easy connection is Swiss (just dont how long the layover will be @ ZRH) TLV-ZRH goes into the E Gates and ORD leaves from the E Gates, and all passengers enter smack into the departure area of E, and I havent heard any horror storys about UMs on LX stay away from LH as arrival gate is miles away from departing and different concourses

seems DL has a 7am flight JFK-ORD but its from their other term @ JFK, arrive into T4 and depart T2, so shed need to take the airtrain and not the ones that go to the Subways. For that alone Id prefer BA or LX where the connection s/b alot easier as it will be in teh same T they arrive into

Last edited by craz; Aug 13, 18 at 7:43 pm
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

So I heard 3rd hand that TLV has a separate pre-check-in security area for UMs? Sounds plausible, but Id love to get more details.

Im leaning more and more towards DL/AF...too many airlines that prohibit connections and LH/LX fees are IN-sane!

Still would love to hear from someone who has actually done the UM checkin/handoff...
Old Aug 18, 18, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
I found this in a The Jerusalem Post article, dated June 2015; however, I have no idea if the information is current. You may wish to email the author, a Jerusalem travel agent, at the linked email address (I've had at least one email exchange with him several years ago).

Delta Airlines for examples requires it on all Transatlantic flights until they are 15, American Airlines, United and El Al Israel Airlines permit it from age 12.

All offer the service only on nonstop flights. One cannot send an unaccompanied minor on any of the four North American airlines that fly between the US, Canada and Israel on any flight with a connection.

Plainly speaking if you want to send a child or grandchild, for example to or from Chicago as an unaccompanied minor, Air Canada, American, Delta and United will not accommodate you as they don’t fly nonstop. It can only be accomplished using a European airline who will shuttle your loved one from one plane to another in a European city.
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, TWA. I found the following on a site with consolidated UMNR policies by airline dated mid-2017. None of the info Ive found about Delta seems to indicate a prohibition on connecting flights, as it does (in a very obvious way) with the other big US carriers.

Age: 5 to 7 years old nonstop or direct flights only, 8 to 14 years old nonstop and connecting flights; Children under 5 cannot travel alone.

Cost: US $150 each way.

Flight restrictions: Unaccompanied minors are not permitted on Red Eye flights (between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.), with the exception of flights departing from Alaska or Hawaii and connections to/from international flights.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA is out because it does not accept UM's below 14.

The DL language is very confusing as to whether it will permit both a redeye, and international connection.
Old Aug 18, 18, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Indeed. I thought I understood what it was saying, and it now looks like it could be interpreted multiple ways. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and call the airline (unfortunately, the consolidated DL UMNR thread isn't helping either). Still would like to know what UMNR procedure at TLV is like.
Old Aug 19, 18, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I haven't been a UM for a long time, but I fly through TLV a lot As with anyone else, I think they'll want to be comfortable with understanding who she is and why she's flying. There's obviously some risk of people placing something dangerous with a flying UM.

I suspect that most of the questioning will be directed at you, not her, and I doubt that the agents will be unpleasant and interrogative to a child. That said, I might tell her in advance that the folks might ask a lot of questions to help keep her safe, and that she should answer any directly and truthfully.

I wouldn't worry about it much.
Old Aug 22, 18, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Alpha Golf. Very sensible answer. I'd still love to hear some first-hand experience, both with TLV check-in experiences and booking UMNRs on international connecting flights. Mod: Can we move this thread over to the Children's Forum or should I (may I?) just start a new one over there?

Search this Thread