Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help with Petra + Wadi Rum please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Petra + Wadi Rum please!

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Help with Petra + Wadi Rum please!

Sorry for all of the recent threads in this forum, however I am in the midst of planning this trip to Jordan in August and trying to book all of our tours and schedule our itinerary. I'm having exceptional difficulty with Petra.

We will be spending two full nights at the Movenpick Petra on 08/30 + 08/31.

We'll be arriving in Petra by late afternoon on 08/30 and as luck would have it, this date happens to fall on a Thursday, which is when the 'Petra by Night' tours are scheduled. We'd be checking into our hotel by around 4:30pm on this date, relaxing, dinner at Al Iwan restaurant, and then departing for the Petra moonlight tour at 08:30 pm. Afterword, a return to our hotel for sundowners on the roof, and zzzzzz.

The problem is the next couple of days. We want to spend a full 6 hours touring Petra with a private guide (booked through Petra Moon Tours) and currently have arranged for a full-day walking tour of Petra the very next morning, on 08/31.

We would potentially enter Petra when the gates open at 7am and spend a full 6 hours visiting all the sites - the Siq, Treasury, al-Dayr, Street of Facades, al-Beidha, the Temple of Al Uzza, mule ride to the top of the Monastery, etc. We would be back at the Movenpick Hotel by approx. 2pm.

We REALLY want to tour Wadi Rum as well! However, it will be late August and the temperatures will be burning hot. Too hot, I imagine, to explore the desert during the daytime hours, when the heat of the sun would be at it's strongest. There's just no retreat in the hot sands, completely isolated and surrounded by the desert which would absorb the immense heat of the sun. I fear it would be unbrearable. So we would ideally like to tour Wadi Rum by traditional bedouin camel, at the end of the day when the sun is setting over the dunes. It would be far more scenic and picturesque to experience Wadi Rum between sunset and dusk, when the temperatures would be much more comfortable and accommodating. I feel that it would be far more enjoyable.

I am told however, that it is just TOO MUCH to do a full 6 hours walking tour of Petra + 4 hour camel excursion through Wadi Rum in one single day.

I was initially thinking that we could return to the Movenpick after touring Petra, relax and refresh for a couple of hours, eat a quick lunch, and then depart for Wadi Rum by 3pm so that we arrive at 4:30 to spend the evening touring - then return to Petra by midnight. I'm told this is not possible. Any thoughts??

The problem is that we are departing Petra for Sweimah in the Dead Sea region (Hotel Kempinski Ishtar) the following morning. This would take us from a 1.5 hour distance between Petra and Wadi Rum... to a 4.5 hour distance between the Dead Sea and Wadi Rum. Not ideal for exploring Wadi Rum from this destination!

We ARE flying over Wadi Rum on the morning that we depart Petra, 09/01. We have scheduled a hot air balloon flight over the desert at 6:30am on this morning, and are truly excited about this adventure! It's not however, the same as visiting all of these ancient and historic sites by land. I suppose that after the hot air balloon flight on 09/01, we could potentially depart on a 4 hour camel excursion through the desert -- however the sun will be high above and beating down on us by this point, and I'm not sure how enjoyable that would be? I was really hoping to cross Wadi Rum at sunset, in the magic twilight hours when the desert stars are shining down on the red painted sands illuminated by the sun descending over the dunes. I don't know how to realistically make this work however!

We need to check into the Kempinski Ishtar hotel by late afternoon on 09/01.

We could potentially switch our plans between 08/31 and 09/01 and instead take the hot air balloon flight over Wadi Rum at sunrise on 08/31, and then cross the desert later in the same evening... but would it be completely foolish to drive 1.5 hours to Wadi Rum for the balloon flight, return to Petra for the day, and then drive all the way back to Wadi Rum hours later?

I don't mind exploring Petra on 09/01 before leaving for Sweimah (to checkinto the Kempinski) - that would work out just fine. However I can't figure out how we'd coordinate Wadi Rum into these plans?!?

To anyone who lives in Jordan or has traveled to these sites before, perhaps with a similar itinerary as us, how would you suggest we do this in a way that makes sense??

Could we and should we take both an early morning balloon flight at dawn over Wadi Rum + a camel back trek of Wadi Rum on the same day?? What is an ideal time to explore Wadi Rum by camel, supposing we didn't have these time restrictions?

I want to finalize this itinerary but am really finding myself stuck trying to balance Wadi Rum + Petra and would genuinely appreciate any suggestions offered.

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by OliverB; May 3, 2012 at 5:17 am
Old May 5, 2012, 8:18 am

The reasons that Bedu everywhere in the Middle East have abandoned camels in favour of 4WD are:
Comfort
Air conditioning
Speed
(smell)

Get a 4WD and you can drive to the top of a dune and admire the view, complete with drinks out of the ice box.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've spent one hour of my life on a camel. It was in Giza, so I now have all of the required photographs of me on said camel. My camel-riding days are likely through. A donkey inside Petra...I'm okay with that...

I'm interested in how your plans turn out. I'm going to be in Petra/Wadi Rum about two months after you and want to do some of these same things, still haven't planned specific activities, but need to optimize our experience within about 48 hours in the area. Jordan is a stopover for us on the way to Nepal. (With British Airways now charging by the segment, if they're going to route me through AMM then I'm staying for a couple days!!)

Currently booked at the Marriott a couple miles away from the entrance but seriously considering a switch to the Movenpick near the gate. Looks like a nice hotel even though I won't hold any status with them. (Their elite program apparently requires you to buy in.)
Old May 9, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OliverB
We would potentially enter Petra when the gates open at 7am and spend a full 6 hours visiting all the sites - the Siq, Treasury, al-Dayr, Street of Facades, al-Beidha, the Temple of Al Uzza, mule ride to the top of the Monastery, etc. We would be back at the Movenpick Hotel by approx. 2pm.
First off, Siq = Treasury and ad-Deir = The Monestary.

Second, you can hit all these sites in 6 hours on foot, but you'd have to either (a) run or (b) spend no time at all actually seeing the sites. The hike to ad-Deir/the Monastery is long, windy, and in some places steep. And in August? Fuggetabboutit. You'll be totally wiped by the time you get there. And al-Beidha? You can't walk this. (Well, you could, but it would take hours.) It would require a car ride. If 6 hours is all you have, you'll have to give up al Beidha.

But forget the question of "could" you do it; the better question is why would you want to rush? You can have a lovely time basically going to the Monastery and back -- it takes you past most of the highlights and would likely get you there in time for an early lunch break before heading back.

I am told however, that it is just TOO MUCH to do a full 6 hours walking tour of Petra + 4 hour camel excursion through Wadi Rum in one single day.

I was initially thinking that we could return to the Movenpick after touring Petra, relax and refresh for a couple of hours, eat a quick lunch, and then depart for Wadi Rum by 3pm so that we arrive at 4:30 to spend the evening touring - then return to Petra by midnight. I'm told this is not possible. Any thoughts??
I promise you, after a day touring Petra in the summer, you will be absolutely wiped out. You will want to get by the pool, not jump back into a car. A one hour window between the time you exit Petra, eat a quick lunch, and are in a car heading to WR? Good luck with that, habibi.

Look, some people are all about checking things off the list, and if that's you, well by all means try to do it. But the majesty of Petra and Wadi Rum needs time to sink in. You need to take it in slowly and focus on the experience. I can't speak to the ballooning scenarios you're contemplating, but I can tell you that IMO trying to put Petra and Wadi Rum into a single day is insane.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
OliverB- The sights you want to see in Petra will take much more than six hours, you really need to plan on spending the entire day in Petra to see the sights you list. Do not try and visit Petra and Wadi Rum in one day.

pinniped - I stayed at the Marriott in Petra, there is nothing near the hotel itself and you'll need to travel Petra by taxi or bus (the hotel did have a shuttle bus but I didn't use it). You can't beat the location of the Movenpick, the town of Wadi Musa is very small, there are some restaurants and souvenier stores within walking distance of the Movenpick.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, so I'm thinking this...

- Land in Amman, 6:30pm. Head over to the Marriott Dead Sea - looks like under an hour from the airport.

- Spend up through midday chilling there, take a swim, grab lunch, etc....then head down to Petra.

- Overnight at Petra hotel. Spend all day at Petra. Then overnight again at same hotel. (Could be Marriott or Movenpick...understand Movenpick is better but we can figure out later whether or not that's worth it.)

- Next day: Wadi Rum from morning through early afternoon...then back up to Amman. Fly out at midnight to India.

Seem reasonable? I leave no time for Amman itself, but from what I gather on a short trip like this that's to be expected. The other sights of Jordan - Petra, Dead Sea, Wadi Rum - are must-sees moreso than a night in the city.

Anything I'm overlooking? I'm sure I'm shorting Wadi Rum a bit but I assume it's still worthwhile if we're there.

We plan to be in our own rental car. Everything I've read suggests that renting a car in Jordan is fairly normal, easy to do, etc.
Old May 14, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: IC - Plat Ambassador, HH - G, AA - G, VS -G RJ - S, EK
Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, so I'm thinking this...

- Land in Amman, 6:30pm. Head over to the Marriott Dead Sea - looks like under an hour from the airport.

- Spend up through midday chilling there, take a swim, grab lunch, etc....then head down to Petra.

- Overnight at Petra hotel. Spend all day at Petra. Then overnight again at same hotel. (Could be Marriott or Movenpick...understand Movenpick is better but we can figure out later whether or not that's worth it.)

- Next day: Wadi Rum from morning through early afternoon...then back up to Amman. Fly out at midnight to India.

Seem reasonable? I leave no time for Amman itself, but from what I gather on a short trip like this that's to be expected. The other sights of Jordan - Petra, Dead Sea, Wadi Rum - are must-sees moreso than a night in the city.

Anything I'm overlooking? I'm sure I'm shorting Wadi Rum a bit but I assume it's still worthwhile if we're there.

We plan to be in our own rental car. Everything I've read suggests that renting a car in Jordan is fairly normal, easy to do, etc.

Would agree that Marriott Dead Sea is easily do-able in less than an hour from QAIA If you are self driving it is very easy to find. Personally I would suggest their steak restaurant to eat not necessarily because it is good but the other eateries are definitely below par. As for Petra my tip would be Movenpick (or Crowne Plaza Guest House since main building currently being revamped) since they are by the gate and you can access at leisure ahead of the tour bus brigade. One top tip is have a drink at the Cave Bar on your way out of Petra.

Appreciate time is tight but do max Wadi Rum as much you can. Do not waste time haggling with any road side touts best value for money are with the official tours from the visitor centre.

Whilst I would advocate that Amman has plenty to show I agree that on a short stop over that you have you ticked the big items and I would agree with your choice

As regards car hire - yes it's cheap and easy but the driving is mad so you may wish to factor that in. Labour is cheap so you may want to think about driver and car. If you have any specific requests PM me and I may be able to point you in the right direction but above all -enjoy!
Old May 16, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

Yes, I think you have a good plan.

Re: rental.
What was not "normal" for me was that I was required to return the rental car on EMPTY. Where I come from, we return it FULL.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Yes, I think you have a good plan.

Re: rental.
What was not "normal" for me was that I was required to return the rental car on EMPTY. Where I come from, we return it FULL.
Ahhh... My rental confirmation from Thrifty doesn't show a prepaid tank of gas, but thanks for the heads-up: I'll make sure to confirm the requirements at the time I rent. This is a rental where prepaying a tank might not be the worst thing in the world...
Old May 20, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Currently booked at the Marriott a couple miles away from the entrance but seriously considering a switch to the Movenpick near the gate. Looks like a nice hotel even though I won't hold any status with them. (Their elite program apparently requires you to buy in.)
As MR Plat, Petra Marriott would treat you well with upgrade & breakfast (no lounge during me stay last year). I liked the place. Huge suite with separate living and bedroom. Large bath with 2 showers. Resautrant food super, and reasonably price (by US standard). Pool over looks the valley and far away mountains. Sunset is gorgeous. Unless you want to be real close to Petra, I wouldn't switch to Movenpick.

Re: MR Jordan Valley Resort. Have some photos that should give you a preview of the place:
http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/RTW-R...3621&k=5wH47xm
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA PP
thanks for this thread - exactly answered some similar questions I had about going to Petra + Wadi Rum.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
From what I'm reading, this area deserves 3 full days?

dh
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I would plan on three days. Depending on your appetite, you could do two full days in Petra and one in Wadi Rum. Some may think it's too much time and do one day Petra and one day Wadi Rum, so YMMV.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
As MR Plat, Petra Marriott would treat you well with upgrade & breakfast (no lounge during me stay last year). I liked the place. Huge suite with separate living and bedroom. Large bath with 2 showers. Resautrant food super, and reasonably price (by US standard). Pool over looks the valley and far away mountains. Sunset is gorgeous. Unless you want to be real close to Petra, I wouldn't switch to Movenpick.

Re: MR Jordan Valley Resort. Have some photos that should give you a preview of the place:
http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/RTW-R...3621&k=5wH47xm
The photos of both of these Marriotts do indeed look quite nice.

Is there someplace to safely/legally park a car near the entrance to Petra? (Either for free or for a reasonable daily fee.) I keep hearing all of the advice about getting to the gate crazy-early, hence the value in being at Movenpick. I also know that the Marriott has a shuttle that would probably run me down there...but at 6AM or whenever?

Sort of on the fence about doing one night at Marriott and then one night at a Wadi Rum camp. Wife really wants to do it and I kind of do too, but it complicates matters checking out of the hotel if we're planning on spending the whole day at Petra... Seems easier to just do 2 nights at the hotel and arrange a Wadi Rum tour on the day after Petra.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA PP
The photos of both of these Marriotts do indeed look quite nice.

Is there someplace to safely/legally park a car near the entrance to Petra? (Either for free or for a reasonable daily fee.) I keep hearing all of the advice about getting to the gate crazy-early, hence the value in being at Movenpick. I also know that the Marriott has a shuttle that would probably run me down there...but at 6AM or whenever?

Sort of on the fence about doing one night at Marriott and then one night at a Wadi Rum camp. Wife really wants to do it and I kind of do too, but it complicates matters checking out of the hotel if we're planning on spending the whole day at Petra... Seems easier to just do 2 nights at the hotel and arrange a Wadi Rum tour on the day after Petra.
I'm almost exactly doing the same thing next month. I booked the Petra Moon Hotel next month as it was a cheaper alternative to the Moevenpick but actually ended up redeeming a Free Night cert at the Marriott.
The Tripadvisor reviews at the Marriott Petra are unforgiving and adding on top of that is the fact they are currently under construction till Oct 1.
You can get down to Petra for the opening time by taxi apparently. (that's my plan for 7am)

My SO wanted to do the Bedouin Camp thing so I booked The Rock Camp in Little Petra but I'm waffling on switching to Jordan Tracks in Wadi Rum. My timings are tight and Jordan Tracks requires a tour to be booked to stay at their camp.

We will also be doing the Marriott Dead Sea Valley Resort the next night as well. Again conflicted - numerous reports of sharp rocks down to the dead sea and people falling into the water stinging their eyes. Adult pool rules not well enforced but the Moevenpick is $$$$ and does not seem to be that much better either.

Feel free to PM me if you want to bounce around some ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.