Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride - overnight parking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride - overnight parking?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Yes, you're fine

Beyond all the reports here--and that of a friend of mine who lives two blocks from the Herndon-Monroe lot--see this FAQ from Fairfax County's site:
Can I park overnight at a Fairfax County Park and Ride?
Fairfax County is not liable for any theft, towing, or vandalism that may occur while your vehicle is parked over night at any of the park and rides. Overnight parking is done at your own risk.
I also found this brochure from the Fairfax County Department of Transportation (PDF). It spells out that:
Park & Rides owned by Fairfax County, such as the Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride, are free of charge and available 24-hours-a-day.
By contrast, here's its next sentence:
Park & Rides owned by VDOT, such as the Lorton Park & Ride, also are free of charge and available 24-hours-a-day. If you intend to use a VDOT Park & Ride overnight or for non- commuter parking, you will need to contact the VDOT permits section at 703-383-2888.
Fairfax did ban overnight parking at the garage when they had to close the top floor to repair it, from 2007 to 2008.

Hope that clears things up.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL
at the risk of creating a monster......

I just received a response to my query on overnight parking at the Herndon lot. I take back every bad thought about VA civil servants..... I have copied directly from the e-mail:

------------------------------------
Mr. (name deleted for privacy),

My name is (name deleted for privacy), Park and Ride Coordinator for the Fairfax County
Department of Transportation.

I received you email below and would like to address the overnight
parking issues that you are referring to.

In a brochure dated year 2003, it was stated the you could get a VDOT
permit for parking but that was only in their lot, which they do not
allow any longer. We, Fairfax County, do not issue parking permits for
parking in our Park and Ride Lots. As far as the Herndon P&R, you are
allowed to park overnight but you are parking at your own risk and
Fairfax County is not responsible for any damages that may occur to your
vehicle.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.
----------------------------------------

I guess it is now "open season" I've chickened out on trying this for my upcoming five-nighter only because my wife is going with me and she would have a heart attack if something happened to the car despite the official policy articulated above. Being right and getting my costs reimbursed if the car is towed will not bring her back to life However, I will do this when the opportunity is right.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
I left my car there Thursday night to Monday night at the beginning of November and had no problems. $12 for parking versus the $50 it would have been for economy parking was worth it. Heck, the 5A comes on a schedule so you don't have to wait for 12 buses for other economy lots to pass before the right color shows up. Yeah, I'm still smarting from watching four blue and two green buses show up last night in the 15 minutes it took the gold bus to show up. Didn't use the park and ride this past trip since I was returning at 1am.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Taxi from IAD to H-M = two 5A fares

The meter on our cab showed $12 as we rolled through Herndon-Monroe last night. That's exactly what we would have paid on the 5A... except there was no question of taking all our luggage plus our baby, her car seat and her stroller on the bus. Not having to deal with that was well worth the extra cost of the tip.

(We didn't stop at the park and ride because we'd parked at our friends' house two blocks away. That turned out to be a good call on our part: Our car's aging battery had run down after a week in the cold, so we needed a jump start to get home.)
Old May 10, 2011, 12:11 am

Hey guys, thanks for all the good information on this lot. Whats the latest on Herndon Monroe, still ok to park overnight for long periods of time? Any recent experiences would be appreciated!
Old May 10, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
I parked at the Herndon Monroe park and ride for 10 nights in mid-april. No problems at all.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by chrisw
I parked at the Herndon Monroe park and ride for 10 nights in mid-april. No problems at all.
Great updates - these are very nice to know...I still keep thinking that I'll have an issue if I ever do it, but this is good to know for my next trip out to Dulles!

-jeremy
Old May 24, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Taxi Stand at Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride

Anyone know, if I take the Metro Bus to the Herndon Park & Ride, am I likely to find a taxi there? Have a meeting coming up in the area and if I could take a taxi from the park and ride, I could go by public transit.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
I reccommend calling a taxi from the bus when you're 10 minutes away from the park and ride. I routinely do this with Red Top Cab (703-333-3333). The dispatcher knows where the park & ride is, and the cabs usually take 10 mintes to show up.

I have never seen cabs waiting at the park & ride, although I suppose you could get lucky and catch one who is dropping someone off (not too frequent, though). Safer just to call -- there's no extra charge for calling.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by chrisw
I reccommend calling a taxi from the bus when you're 10 minutes away from the park and ride. I routinely do this with Red Top Cab (703-333-3333). The dispatcher knows where the park & ride is, and the cabs usually take 10 mintes to show up.

I have never seen cabs waiting at the park & ride, although I suppose you could get lucky and catch one who is dropping someone off (not too frequent, though). Safer just to call -- there's no extra charge for calling.
Great! This will work. Thanks a ton for the pointer, chrisw.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Michilander
Anyone know, if I take the Metro Bus to the Herndon Park & Ride, am I likely to find a taxi there? Have a meeting coming up in the area and if I could take a taxi from the park and ride, I could go by public transit.
Taking a bus from the airport to the park and ride just to catch a taxi seems like more trouble than it's worth since taxis are always available at the airport and you will be paying for a taxi anyway. You might be surprised how fast your trip to Herndon will be in a washington flyer taxi...the driver will make death defying maneuvers to ensure he is back at IAD in under 45 minutes.

If you have a smart phone, taxi magic is a nice app for getting taxis. I just punch in my address (no chance of a clerical error) and a red top cab shows up ASAP. I can see where it is on a map. Very nice. And you can pay for the ride with your phone.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Check your travel times on this one, if you just miss a bus, the wait for the next one can be considerably more expensive than adding the extra ten dollars or so in cab fare (and since the bus is already $6, the savings is really small).
Old May 24, 2011, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tarpie
Taking a bus from the airport to the park and ride just to catch a taxi seems like more trouble than it's worth since taxis are always available at the airport and you will be paying for a taxi anyway. You might be surprised how fast your trip to Herndon will be in a washington flyer taxi...the driver will make death defying maneuvers to ensure he is back at IAD in under 45 minutes.

If you have a smart phone, taxi magic is a nice app for getting taxis. I just punch in my address (no chance of a clerical error) and a red top cab shows up ASAP. I can see where it is on a map. Very nice. And you can pay for the ride with your phone.
I will actually be coming from the other direction. Will be coming into Union via MARC. Figured to take the bus from the Rosslyn Metro station. If I were landing at IAD, I would indeed just take a taxi from there. In fact, I figured that if picking up a taxi at the park and ride was not feasible, I could just take the bus to IAD and get a taxi there.
Old May 27, 2011, 9:59 am

Consider Fairfax Connector bus too

I will actually be coming from the other direction. Will be coming into Union via MARC. Figured to take the bus from the Rosslyn Metro station. If I were landing at IAD, I would indeed just take a taxi from there. In fact, I figured that if picking up a taxi at the park and ride was not feasible, I could just take the bus to IAD and get a taxi there.
Ah. You might find it's cheaper still, and maybe faster in rush-hour traffic, to take Metro to West Falls Church and then get on one of the local Fairfax Connector routes to wherever you're going in the Herndon/Reston area.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:13 am

WMATA is now on google transit, so you can get bus/rail/walk directions anywhere in the region.

Actually, you can do a transit search from Fairfax to Fenway and get interesting combinations of Metro buses/trains, Amtrak, Boltbus, and the Boston T/bus to get there.

Also useful to be able to specify "I want to be at IAD by 2:00" and have it tell you which 5A bus to get on without you having to manually look it up in a timetable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.