Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride - overnight parking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat

Anyone been to Herndon-Monroe lately? I'm flying out of IAD soon, for the first time in a couple of years and wondering if the garage still allows overnight parking.

I have left my car there for as much as two weeks at a time in the past, and with the 5A or Washington Flyer taxi to the airport it's just as fast and convenient (and far cheaper) as parking in the long-term IAD lots. But I know that at least for a period of time, Fairfax County banned overnight parking in the garage when they began construction there.

Are there any other park-and-ride areas in the Herndon/Reston area that do allow overnight parking? Even without convenient bus access to IAD, a roundtrip taxi ride from somewhere close by is still less $$$ than several days in long-term parking!

Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:07 pm

Hi wahooflyer:

I am just wondering - did you manage to park overnight OK?
Thanks,
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

For my last trip out of IAD, I ended up parking in Rosslyn and taking the 5A as I didn't want to risk Herndon-Monroe. But I took a drive through the park and ride a few days ago when I was in Reston and can confirm that overnight parking still seems to be OK at the garage. Signage is the same as it was a few years ago, saying only "no skateboarding, commuters and authorized persons only"...nothing about overnight parking.

Until or unless this changes, still a very well kept secret and IMHO far preferable to the IAD long term lots. I'm flying out of IAD again on the 11th so I'll give Herndon-Monroe a try.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Until or unless this changes, still a very well kept secret and IMHO far preferable to the IAD long term lots. I'm flying out of IAD again on the 11th so I'll give Herndon-Monroe a try.
How did it work out at Herndon-Monroe? I'm flying out of IAD on the 19th and was hoping to find an alternative to the expensive onsite parking...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I left my car in the garage there for 2 nights/3 days recently, over a weekend and took the 5A. No problems. ^
Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, Marriott Gold
I've left my car in that lot no less then 30 times in the past 5 years. Prior to my current job (and move to Denver), I used to take Amtrak out of DC regularly. It's pretty tough to drive from Leesburg to DC in morning rush-hour by my self. And I couldn't leave the car at Metro, of course.

So I'd park at the H-M park and ride, bus in, and then take the Acela to NYC. My trips were 2-4 days in duration, and I never had a problem w/ my car in that lot.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 4:26 am

Question still ok?

Originally Posted by Forgetfu
I've left my car in that lot no less then 30 times in the past 5 years. Prior to my current job (and move to Denver), I used to take Amtrak out of DC regularly. It's pretty tough to drive from Leesburg to DC in morning rush-hour by my self. And I couldn't leave the car at Metro, of course.

So I'd park at the H-M park and ride, bus in, and then take the Acela to NYC. My trips were 2-4 days in duration, and I never had a problem w/ my car in that lot.
I've got a flight scheduled for next week out of Dulles. Is this info still accurate? I'll be out of town for 4 days.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
>>>
E. Herndon-Monroe Park-and-Ride Lot

This lot is located at 12530 Sunrise Valley Drive at the intersection of Roark Drive. As with all Reston/Herndon Park-and-Ride lots, parking at the 1,745 spaces is free. The 13-acre lot’s garage is well-lit and offers easy access to the bus bays. Overnight parking is prohibited in the garage and vehicles left are towed nightly.
<<<
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Overnight parking is prohibited in the garage and vehicles left are towed nightly.
I recall when the Metrorail parking lots first opened, they specified "no overnight parking". That meant that folks working 3rd shift couldn't use the lots for commuting - so they quickly changed the policy to something like "24 hour maximum parking" to allow any parking commuter to use the lots.

So, enforcement of "overnight parking is prohibited" in the Herndon-Monroe Lot would have the same negative effect on swing-shift commuters...
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:40 am

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by vatraveler
>>>

This lot is located at 12530 Sunrise Valley Drive at the intersection of Roark Drive. As with all Reston/Herndon Park-and-Ride lots, parking at the 1,745 spaces is free. The 13-acre lot’s garage is well-lit and offers easy access to the bus bays. Overnight parking is prohibited in the garage and vehicles left are towed nightly.
<<<
This quote is found nowhere else on the internet (according to Google, anyway), other than in this post.

What is the provenance of this information? I would suggest that since it's not cited and not available anywhere else, it should be removed.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Umm, what? Second Google result: http://policy.gmu.edu/portals/0/pdfs...oe_Station.pdf
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by choster
That document is more than 2 years old...
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:49 am

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Still good @ Herndon-Monroe

Just parked @ Herndon-Monroe this past weekend (parked Friday night; returned Monday morning). Car was fine; no issues - there are no signs prohibiting overnight parking - the only signs say "commuter use only," and, well... I commuted from work to the lot on Friday evening, and then from the lot to work this morning, so I think I satisfied that requirement!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Um, I think "commuter use only" is pretty clear.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: DL
any more updates?

I have not done this but would like to try. A web search today hit the YELP blather blog for DC on which a recent poster (March '10; ttp://www.yelp.com/biz/metrobus-5a-arlington#query:dulles park) said he ASKED at the lot's commuter store and was told it was OK...........

I've tried to contact Fairifax DOT via phone/e-mail with no success (and no surprise). I'd park on Wed afternoon prior to the Veterans' Day holiday and return on Mon afternoon. Suspect there won't be a lot of policing going on during that time...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.