Fodor's HATES San Miguel de Allende

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fodor's HATES San Miguel de Allende

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by londinense
Laptops, posers? Most of us are over 60: we gave up posing 30 years ago and wouldn't know a laptop from a lapdance.
Nonsense on the lap dances. A lot of older men are down there chasing chicas. Better watch out for fathers, brothers, and ex-boyfriends, or the chicas themselves
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by londinense
...many of our newcomers nowadays are wealthy Chilangos (from Mexico City). (...)
Interesting choice of words.

Some students of Mexican Spanish may not realize that the slang term "chilango" is frequently considered perjorative by Mexico City residents when used by folks outside the Mexico City metropolitan area to describe them. However many Mexico City residents take pride in using the term to describe themselves and, in fact, there is a lifestyle magazine published there titled "Chilango". To me the use of the word "chilango" is somewhat similar to a small degree with the infamous "N-word" of American English. Some people can get away with using the word and others will be villified for using it.

Why it this? Well in short there's a definite love-hate relationship with residents of the D.F. and the people who live in the other 31 states. People who live outside Mexico City generally have this stereotypical idea that "chilangos" are greedy, holier than thou individuals. On the other hand the "chilangos" have a stereotype of those who live out in "las provencias" are nothing more than country bumpkins.

I certainly use the word "chilango" myself, but only among friends and family.

And that's your Mexican Spanish slang lesson of the day.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:21 pm

Chilango = New Yorker
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Chilango = New Yorker
This is very true. A quick question, I am thinking of moving to San Miguel de Allende and am wondering how this town is doing in 2016?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's amazing...but I would never move to a place based on advice or responses from a revived thread that the last post was 2009.

There are many current active forums on SMA. The most active is one called Civil_List on Yahoo Groups. Over 8000 active members.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Just as a side note, June 21 2016 it was announced Penguin Random House has sold Fodor's to FlyerTalk owner Internet Brands, actually. Perhaps big changes in store for Fodor's?

Fodor's "Press Room": FODORS TRAVEL TO BE ACQUIRED BY INTERNET BRANDS FROM PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE

Internet Brands: Fodor's Travel to be acquired by Internet Brands

Any love for San Miguel de Allende? Veremos. / We will see.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by globetrots
I was downtown this time last year for three days solid. I felt like I was in Bryant Park---laptops, posers, and all. Coming from Guanajuato, I felt like I'd traveled from Mexico to the U.S. in less than two hours. Granted it's probably very different in the outskirts, but that's not where people coming to visit are hanging out.
I have to agree, and I'll take Guanajuato over SMA any day of the week. I've been to both quite a few times but we usually stay in GTO and just day trip it to SMA. I can't tell you how many times I've sat down in a restaurant in SMA and heard huffy old gringos say something along the lines of "This place is horrible they didn't bring us the english menu!!"
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Er, responding to a post made in 2009 is a strong indication this thread is overdue for closure. As there are no recent threads on San Miguel de Allende, questions or discussion should be directed to a new thread.

Gracias!

El Moderadr del foro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.