Search

Fodor's HATES San Miguel de Allende

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:40 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Fodor's HATES San Miguel de Allende

From their 2009 Mexico Book:

Despite the city's offerings, those who have spent a lot of time in Mexico find it hard to stomach what has now become a never-ending parade of yuppie tourists and a U.S.-dollar-driven economy. For travel novices, San Miguel's Disneyish qualities can make it a painless entry-level experience, a Mexico Lite practically free from concerns about health, safety, culture clash, and language. But even newcomers to Mexico shouldn't make the mistake of spending their whole trip here; there are more authentic, if slightly less cute, Mexican experiences to be had in the Heartland's many other beautiful cities.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:47 am

After I found San Miguel in the Top Ten Cities in The Americas at Conde Nast Traveler, I went there.... by rental car from Mexico City .... easy driving.

Some of Fodor's is correct. It has a US-$ driven economy .. even small 1/2 star hotels asking for (too much) dollars. Some hotels up the hill with a nice view had horrendous prices, even without having any guests.
However, it is a small nice little village and it seemed NOT "Disneyish" to me. I may go back, but then Ill check at TripAdvisor or else for a nice and not too expansive place to stay for a couple of days.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Who buys Fordor's guides anyway these days? They became obsolete as soon as the likes of Lonely Planet, Rough Guide and Footprint started appearing.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:03 pm

There is an element of truth to the Fodor's assertion regarding SMA. I don't particularly care for it anymore either. Way too many self-righteous ex-pat retirees and part-time residents who make little attempt to assimilate and appreciate the culture of their adopted country. Why move to Mexico then complain that its "different"? I don't get it.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
I went with a group of fellow Aussies and a few Texan friends and we had a blast! Quad bike riding off road, golf, hot spings, horse riding, great night life, good markets and great food - especially the burgers in the main square after a big night on Margaritas! I agree it has an American influence. but it does not take away from the felling that you are in Mexico. I love the place and plane to go back one day!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
There is an element of truth to the Fodor's assertion regarding SMA. I don't particularly care for it anymore either. Way too many self-righteous ex-pat retirees and part-time residents who make little attempt to assimilate and appreciate the culture of their adopted country...
Even the ones who do assimilate remain self-righteous, and snobby. There's a Starbuck's there now with free Wi-Fi

I've been exploring Mexico a lot on my motorcycle lately. These are solo rides. There are so many places to explore where a Gringo is never seen. A lot of these places are really magical, historical, and very off the beaten path. And no, I am NOT telling where they are

Last edited by Martinis at 8; Apr 10, 2009 at 5:33 pm
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
Fodors should give the same review to Cozumel and Playa del Carmen....the worst mexico has to offer is when americans start to become >20% of the population. We are cancer to foreign cultures!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by lls138
Fodors should give the same review to Cozumel and Playa del Carmen....the worst mexico has to offer is when americans start to become >20% of the population. We are cancer to foreign cultures!
Unfortunately I agree, but we can't really ban ourselves from travel, and I doubt we will be able to change our national characteristics of being: (1) Overheard, (2) Overweight, (3) Overdrawn, and (4) Overdosed.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Unfortunately I agree, but we can't really ban ourselves from travel, and I doubt we will be able to change our national characteristics of being: (1) Overheard, (2) Overweight, (3) Overdrawn, and (4) Overdosed.
HAHAH That's exactly how people see Americans ^
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by hobarthoney
I went with a group of fellow Aussies and a few Texan friends and we had a blast! Quad bike riding off road, golf, hot springs, horse riding, great night life, good markets and great food - especially the burgers in the main square after a big night on Margaritas! I agree it has an American influence. but it does not take away from the felling that you are in Mexico. I love the place and plane to go back one day!
Hey hobart,

I've been riding my motorcycle down there from Houston. Talk about a blast! Lot's a of great off-roading too. There's a few off-road Meccas like Copper Canyon that are excellent for dirt adventure riding. Galeana is another place. Plus on a bike you can get out to areas where never a Gringo is seen or heard. Makes for a real unique experience.

Originally Posted by hobarthoney
HAHAH That's exactly how people see Americans ^
Lol! But youz guyz are a bunch of drunks! I spent a month in Melbourne. How do y'all do it? I always thought the Norwegians were the kings of drinking till I visited Oz.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I have to agree with them, unfortunately. It's like a Mexican version of Santa Fe, but with less authenticity. The gringos far outnumber the locals in the center and yes, the hotels are about double the price you would pay going an hour in any direction. Same goes for the real estate---the bubble is still alive and well there. It's nice, it's pretty, but it all is starting to feel like a fake movie set version of Mexico.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:41 pm

I suggest the previous poster heads downtown today (Good Friday). It won't feel at all "like Santa Fe without the authenticity." The number of foreigners here at any one time is perhaps max 6,000. That's out of a total population of about 180,000. True, you'll see more of us in the downtown area, but then many of our newcomers nowadays are wealthy Chilangos (from Mexico City). Scratch beneath the surface and San Miguel is still a very Mexican town. And real estate prices may not be falling, but there's a helluva lot on the market that's not shifting, much of it speculative-build from the bubble era.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by globetrots
...It's like a Mexican version of Santa Fe...
Huh? But Santa Fe is "Mexican". Just because it's in the US doesn't mean it's not Mexican (culturally speaking).

But I know what you mean
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I was downtown this time last year for three days solid. I felt like I was in Bryant Park---laptops, posers, and all. Coming from Guanajuato, I felt like I'd traveled from Mexico to the U.S. in less than two hours. Granted it's probably very different in the outskirts, but that's not where people coming to visit are hanging out.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by globetrots
laptops, posers, and all.
Laptops, posers? Most of us are over 60: we gave up posing 30 years ago and wouldn't know a laptop from a lapdance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.