Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"CBX" Pedestrian bridge connects TIJ Int'l. Airport and Otay Mesa

"Cross Border Xpress" connects Otay Mesa and TIJ / Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport as of 9 Dec 2015
with enclosed pedestrian bridge, including U.S. Immigration and Customs facilities

Link to Cross Border Xpress website.

CBX is an enclosed pedestrian skywalk bridge exclusively for Tijuana Airport passengers who cross the U.S./Mexico border as part of their trip.
Q. What documents do I need to use the CBX pedestrian bridge?
  • Passport
  • Visa if required
  • Airline boarding pass
  • CBX ticket for bridge use
Users are required to have airline travel from (or to) TIJ (can be purchased at CBX ticket counters). Adults will be charged USD $18.00, with 20% discounts for those 65 or over and children 12 or younger; children through age 3 are free of toll charges. Tolls will be collected as of 19 December 2015. June 2016, parking is $15 a day.

The "CBX" consists of an enclosed pedestrian bridge that connects TIJ / the Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport with a facility in Otay Mesa that includes USCBP inspection area (SENTRI kiosks are available), airline ticket counters, an 850 car parking lot and access to multimodal land transport (intercity bus, taxis, Uber). A duty free shopping area and restaurant has been added.

CBX plans to add a gasoline station, shopping center and hotel some time in the future.

Link to San Diego Union-Tribune article 9 Dec 2015

NOTE:
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
7 Jan 2016: Just received a quick and courteous email from CBX in response to my question regarding whether a passport card is sufficient to cross using the bridge. She confirmed that a passport card is sufficient as they have no additional requirements beyond what is required by customs and immigration and the crossing is considered to be a land border crossing.
Q. Why would I use this and fly out of TIJ?

Particularly if you live in the San Diego area, you can save as much as 50% or more flying domestic intra-Mexico services out of TIJ.

Q. Has anyone posted about their CBX experience?

FlyerTalk Community Director SanDiego1K has shared her experience in February, 2019 crossing from Otay Mesa, CA to TIJ airport in post #93.

Q. Are there lower cost alternatives to using the CBX?

Yes, but they entail less convenient border crossings (particularly inconvenient herding your baggage through) at San Ysidro or the conventional Otay Mesa crossing and securing transport to TIJ once you've completed border formalities.

NOTE: See Walking into Tijuana? (San Ysidro crossing & new PedWest Aug 2017)

Print Wikipost

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Marriott
This thread has been informative regarding passport book vs passport card for the crossing, but can anyone comment on whether to expect checkpoints that could create long lines getting to flights into Mexico? I have read and watched videos of passengers breezing through the crossing to their gates in 8-10 min, but as a US citizen should I be prepared for security or immigration to require a potentially lengthy stop to get to the gate?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:39 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I don't think any FTer has actually used this, so there is no data on how long it will take. My guess would be that it would be pretty quick, as it's new, and probably not too many people know about it.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I don't think any FTer has actually used this
Well, we have a trip report in MR forum in this short thread. It's close to bottom.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:29 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I'm also curious to hear from others as to how long it takes to cross. I just booked a TIJ-MEX flight on AeroMexico thinking it would be a lot more interesting than flying Volaris from SAN - but now I'm hoping that I didn't make things more difficult by having to deal wth long lines at the bridge.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by SANspotter
but now I'm hoping that I didn't make things more difficult by having to deal wth long lines at the bridge.
The report I quoted above (in MR Prem Fare forum with link provided) makes it sound like lines are short. Don't think too many people know about it yet.

Be sure to let us know how it goes :-:
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:06 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Be sure to let us know how it goes :-:
My flights are still a few weeks out yet (mid March) but I'm planning on doing a full trip report to document the experience. Fingers crossed that it goes well!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:09 pm

My flights are still a few weeks out yet (mid March) but I'm planning on doing a full trip report to document the experience. Fingers crossed that it goes well!
I look forward to reading about your experience as we'll be using it a few weeks after you in early April. We booked flights to MEX on Volaris for $82 r/t, a significant discount from what we would have paid from anywhere in the states.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
We booked flights to MEX on Volaris for $82 r/t, a significant discount from what we would have paid from anywhere in the states.
WOW, that is CHEAP ^

Part of reason is for high cross border fares are the high US fees for coming back to US - I see it on tickets if I'm flying from Canada
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:23 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Well, I'm back from the Mexico trip. The bridge was super easy! It wasn't very crowded either, and I was able to cross in just minutes. Getting into Mexico took a bit longer due to a slow(ish) immigration process, but coming back I was able to cross and enter the US in less than 5 minutes.

Full review, with tons of pics are on my blog: Cross Border Xpress review
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:00 pm

^ ^ ^

Nice report.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thanks for the report.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:48 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

^ ^ ^

Nice report.
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Thanks for the report.
Glad you guys enjoyed it! I'd recommend the experience to anyone, though part of me wants to keep this a secret so that it stays easy and quiet.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:45 pm

Well, I'm back from the Mexico trip. The bridge was super easy! It wasn't very crowded either, and I was able to cross in just minutes. Getting into Mexico took a bit longer due to a slow(ish) immigration process, but coming back I was able to cross and enter the US in less than 5 minutes.

We're you able to cross with just your passport card back into us or dos they require book passport?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:55 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Originally Posted by Evelez357
We're you able to cross with just your passport card back into us or dos they require book passport?
I'm not totally sure what the requirements are, but I used my passport (booklet) just to be sure there wouldn't be any issues.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(

Nice report, thanks. I have family in SAN and Mexico, so a trip to CA then crossing over to get to MEX is might be in the works for Xmas.

Question: you said there are no windows to the outside while on the bridge itself but it seems like there are in the pictures. Are those windows just the separation from the return to the US lane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.