Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Surfers Paradise Marriott, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Anyone have any recent experience at the Surfers Paradise Marriott in Australia? I checked some other threads, and most information seems to be 3+ years ago.

How are the rooms? Is there a concierge lounge? I know it's a "Resort & Spa", but I can't really tell from the hotel description if there is a concierge lounge or not.

I'm thinking of staying there for a few days in March.

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:42 am
Suspended

About a year ago we were in Australia for a longer times. There are much better and nicer places than the Marriott. The Palazzo Versace is nice and rated top-notch, even so service can be inconsistend.
Hyatt Coolum or Sanctuary Cove are nice and both have club lounges, with rather generous supplies
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Stayed there in August, we rather liked it. No lounge but Continental Breakfast buffet vouchers as Gold (a smallish fee to upgrade to full). Was upgraded from our cheap as chips corp rate Hinterland room view to a nice corner Ocean View room.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by simong
Stayed there in August, we rather liked it. No lounge but Continental Breakfast buffet vouchers as Gold (a smallish fee to upgrade to full). Was upgraded from our cheap as chips corp rate Hinterland room view to a nice corner Ocean View room.
Just got back from the Marriott Surfers Paradise. Felt a little tired to me (externally and the public areas), but the room was not too bad. I booked a hinterland view (cheapest room) and got a room on the 28th Floor (the top floor) facing south which got a not bad view of the beach from the balcony and down into the heart of Surfers Paradise.

As a gold recieved the continental breakfast vouchers. There is a lounge which they will try to sell you access to at check in (i think the price the quoted me was $84 for two per night). I enquired about the lounge benefit but was told that being a resort they dont need to offer access.

The breakfast in the cafe/buffet was quite good, and the upgrade to a full breakfast reasonable at $8 per person reasonable.

I have stayed at a number of properties on the coast, and really prefer the Hyatt at Sanctuary Cove, but the Marriott has a much better location if you are looking for the Surfers Paradise experience.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis First
Spent three nights there in November. Got an ocean/pool view room which was a decent size, balcony, and a huge bathroom. It was appointed and kept up well, although nothing spectacular. The Benihanas was pretty good and free garage parking was a plus. All in all, a nice hotel with a GREAT pool area! My biggest issue was it's just too far out of the town area of Surfers for my likes (although mrs. gronnie was fine with that). 5-10 min walk to the ocean beach, 15-20 min walk to the shopping/dining areas of Surfers. Taxis are readily available if you don't feel like hoofing it. If you want a quieter stay, this would be a great choice.

The CY has great location more in the heart of Surfers. I might consider that next time I'm in town -- especially since I didn't spend much time in the hotel and that it was nearly half the price.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum, Avis First
Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort questions

Booked a few REWARD nights stay at the Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort.

I read through the forums that the hotel gave vouchers for breakfast.
1. Did they offers the vouchers upon checkin or do you have to ask for them?
2. Do they give one voucher per person in the room?
3. Given it's a REWARD stay and I'm Platinum, will they give me those vouchers and such or do you have to be paying for the stay?

Also, what are some recommendations of affordable food locations around the area? Many thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USAir Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed at this property in December 2008 on points as a platinum member.

1. At checking I was provided two vouchers for each day we were staying, one for me and one for my spouse, for continental breakfast at the ground floor restaurant. Each day we could choose to buy up to the full breakfast (includes hot food) for around $5-10 AUD per person. I don't remember exactly how much, but I do know that we only upgraded once or twice.
2. In my case, they did provide one voucher per person. Not sure how it would work with more than two people.
3. On a reward stay, you will get the vouchers too.

As for food, we took the concierge's recommendation for a Thai place within walking distance, Chiang Mai Thai. It's a popular restaurant that now has a few locations in the Gold Coast area. I don't remember it being terribly expensive at all.

The staff was terrific at this hotel and you won't have any problem getting help finding whatever you need. For example, my wife and I were sick with nasty colds and the activities desk rep, I believe her name was Kelly, sent a "get well" basket to our room. Really nice.

-----

As a side note, this is my first post. I planned my whole trip to around the Pacific on Star Alliance and at Marriott hotels with info from flyertalk. Thanks to all for the great advice I found here. Figured it was time to start contributing too.

--Michael
Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Surfer's Paradise Resort and Spa, Gold Coast Australia to Brisbane airport-how to go?

The 3 of us will be staying at this resort in Australia for 3 days, a week from now. However, we will be arriving and departing from Brisbane airport.

If we do not want to rent a car, what are the most practical and economical (door to door airport to hotel) transportation options?

We will be carrying at least 1 piece of baggage/luggage for each of the 3 of us.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I would recommend a car. There are some bus companies that offer service between Surfer's Paradise and BNE - but I think it needs to be arranged. It is a couple of hour drive. A taxi would be way too expensive.

The Marriott Resort is not on the beach. It is on the north end of Surfer's Paradise and too far to walk to the main shopping, restaurant area. So you will likely need a car to get around. While this property is called a resort, it is really a regular hotel with a tiered parking garage.

The Courtyard has a great location in the center of everything - next to all to new shopping areas and condos. The Courtyard is however not a top notch Courtyard. It is a 30 story hotel with balconies. Rooms are OK - but not that great - hotel is slightly run down. If you have Plat/Gold status you will get an ocean view. I stayed at the Courtyard 3 months ago - and ruled out the Marriott for being too far away.

The Marriott Surfer's Paradise Resort since it is a resort Plat/Gold do not get access to the Lounge. See the Ts&Cs.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Sorry I have to say it is not too far to walk to the main drag from the Marriott... Its about a 15 min walk on the flat, I consider that a fine walk...

I would say hiring a car would be the easiest way for getting to there from BNE but as you don't want to I cant offer any guidance on doing it another way, perhaps on the Aus forum one of the QLD crew could. All I can say is once you are there you will be fine if you just want to potter around the resort and Surfers Town... To go to any of the malls you could grab a cab or a bus.

Also I would consider it a resort, a resort does not need to be on the beach, it has lots of pools, multiple restaurants, tennis etc.. It also give elites a great buffet 7 days a week, continental but just few bucks to upgrade to the full one. Also gave us a nice upgrade to an ocean view.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 2:41 am

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Originally Posted by cova
I would recommend a car. .
I would too.

The drive is an easy one and is mainly on the freeway. There is small toll across the bridge.

Having a car is handy for sight- seeing.

The Marriott Resort is not on the beach. It is on the north end of Surfer's Paradise and too far to walk to the main shopping, restaurant area. .
While it is not on the beach it is only a few minutes walk.

It is about 15 minutes to the main restaurants, supermarkets etc along the flat.

If walked along the surfbeach it is a very scenic walk.

I last stayed there two weeks back.

One morning we walked down to the main centre for breakfast. walking along the beach is a great way to start the day.

So you will likely need a car to get around. While this property is called a resort, it is really a regular hotel with a tiered parking garage.

If a regular hotel has a heated tropical swimming pool complete with fish that you can swim with, sandy beaches, Spa Treatment Rooms, a tube water slide.......

Though yes the car parking is conveniently accessed via the lift.

A car is handy...but not vital. Any tours will pick you up.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Jun 21, 2009 at 3:14 am
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I seem to remember a shared van service that ran from BNE to the Gold Coast hotels. I remember finding it via a google search. http://www.cxbookings.com.au/?AID=13

There is also this http://www.airtrain.com.au/
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:30 am

Programs: MR Plat., AC*E
Surfers Paradise Marriott

I'm in Brisbane for work this month, and thinking of heading down to the gold coast for the weekend. What should I expect as a MR Gold at the Surfers Paradise Marriott? I'm not sure how the benefits change at resort properties such as this.

General impressions or suggestions from anyone who has stayed there recently?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Here is a thread where someone answered who has stayed within the last year (they may not answer all your questions, but maybe some of them):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...australia.html

As for staying at a resort in general:

1. Marriott Resorts generally don't have CLs and I do believe the Surfer's Paradise doesn't either. And given Marriott's request to not "overachieve", there is a good chance that they won't provide you with any breakfast coupons. But it can't hurt to ask if they will do that for you.

2. Some of my best upgrades have been at resorts as they tend to have more "specialty" rooms (i.e. larger, balconies, better views, suites, etc.) Contact the GM before you head out there and see if they may be willing to help you out here.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The Surfer's Paradise Marriott has a CL, but I do not believe that Plat/Gold members get access, since it is a resort.

More recent discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...rt-how-go.html

Last edited by cova; Jul 15, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.