Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott: Hold on credit card from check-in???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott: Hold on credit card from check-in???

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I don't usually care since my credit line is way higher than I ever spend; for me it takes up to a week to get it off my amex credit line.
Old May 3, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I think the bigger issue here is not how much peoples credit lines are worth but full disclosure from the hotels in the confirmation page stating what incidental charges per night are going to be.
In the fall, I travel 10 weeks straight with no reimbursement until after it is over so it would be helpful to me to know what each hotel charges.

In my previous post, the triple hold the hotel created finally was dropped by my credit card company and not because the property released it. I now have another one for $100 that is still pending and we are now on day 6. Thankfully, I have nowhere else to go so I don't have to worry about it.

On another note: why the heck would a CY put a $100 hold when you essentially have nothing to pay for when you are there beyond room and tax??
I'd understand $50 for 2 nights but not $100 for 2 nights.
Old May 4, 2009, 9:09 am

I always check in with a credit card I never use for anything and then check out with my regular card. Since it is easy to get credit cards, simple to have a such a card for holds.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
First - I use an Amex exclusively for travel, unless it's not accepted. Second, I don't have low limits. Third, my card is no where being maxed out. Finally, if I wanted to use a Debit Card, it shouldn't be any different.

However, I am a *&^%$ about money. I believe the issue here is full disclosure before the transaction is completed. It's not out of line, especially in my case where they really screwed up. It took 2 hours to resolve the issue.

Originally Posted by eeprofessional
You guys are either using a debit card (which is a joke given Reg E) or your CC have low limits or you are close to max out your cards

Never had a problem with hotels or car rentals holding even if they put a hold for weeks since I doubt they put a hold of several thousand dollars.

thanks for the idea of 2 CCs: 1 for incidentals and another to pay for the stay...
Old May 5, 2009, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing that folks sometimes don't realize is that the "holds" are often times put on DEBIT cards (i.e. Visa CheckCards, which are LIKE credit cards, but NOT credit cards) and not on actual credit cards. If you have a Visa Checkcard or a Debit MasterCard & are using that, a hold is likely placed on your card & you have to wait til your BANK releases it (not the hotel or rental car provider, but the bank itself, which is what takes the 3-5 days). Most credit card holds are released immediately upon checkout.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
One thing that folks sometimes don't realize is that the "holds" are often times put on DEBIT cards (i.e. Visa CheckCards, which are LIKE credit cards, but NOT credit cards) and not on actual credit cards. If you have a Visa Checkcard or a Debit MasterCard & are using that, a hold is likely placed on your card & you have to wait til your BANK releases it (not the hotel or rental car provider, but the bank itself, which is what takes the 3-5 days). Most credit card holds are released immediately upon checkout.
Not true....they are released at 11:59pm of the day of checkout and then takes 24-48 hours to hit back on the card.
Debit cards are pretty standard for producing holds......that is understood but depending on the actions of the front desk agent and what he/she presses on the keyboard will dictate what happens with hold. Case in point-my first hotel that I mention on this thread, the accounting department pinpointed what the agent did wrong---she made 3 incorrect keystrokes which caused three holds to appear on my credit card....took 9 days to get it all worked out.....
Old May 5, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by USFreak
Not true....they are released at 11:59pm of the day of checkout and then takes 24-48 hours to hit back on the card.
Debit cards are pretty standard for producing holds......that is understood but depending on the actions of the front desk agent and what he/she presses on the keyboard will dictate what happens with hold. Case in point-my first hotel that I mention on this thread, the accounting department pinpointed what the agent did wrong---she made 3 incorrect keystrokes which caused three holds to appear on my credit card....took 9 days to get it all worked out.....

Exactly...Never use Debit so only had problems like this on Credit cards. Often a poorly trained front desk person caused the problem. When you're busy just going backwards to fix it is a stress builder.

Disclosure on holds is another issue but easily fixed if they add it to the text when they show cancellation policy details...then we know and can decide
Old May 8, 2009, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As others have mentioned, the amount that someone has available on their credit card is irrelevant to the real problem, which is 'full disclosure'.

I don't use debit for hotel stays & find that holds on credit cards can take 3-7 days to fall off, both upon check-in & check-out. Usually the hold lasts longer on an int'l stay, but occasionally I have a long one on a domestic.

And as someone mentioned, if you're on the road for a long time & haven't had time to process expense reports, even large amounts of credit can get eaten up.

BTW - for those that think Amex is 'no limit', you're wrong I believe. Your limit is based on your spending pattern, an Amex rep told me.

FWIW - I think disclosure on holds should be on each reservation so that people know/can plan accordingly.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.