Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Here's what I have in the exec lounge sticky for this property. Can someone confirm that it's accurate?

* Paris/ Marriott Rive Gauche / Open for soft drinks/snacks; Breakfast in restaurant on weekends (during peak time in the summer through end of September, lounge is open for breakfast); i-net terminals & free wifi; No children under 15 without adult; 09/09/14 update
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Cova, would you stay here with your wife and kids? I imagine we would all be a sleep by 10-11 anyways.
Yes, I would. But I would likely not walk from the RER train down to the hotel (4 blocks) after dark. Take a cab back if you arriving after dark.

Lot's of homeless, unemployed migrants hanging around about a block and 1/2 up the street at the homeless shelter, waiting to get food. (could be 50 people on the sidewalk hanging around in the day). The RER train station also has many people hanging around all day and certainly all night. And not the best crowd on the train by the time the RER train gets down to DR. Safer looking passengers tend to get out by Notre Dame area.

Great hotel, just be on the side of caution, and take more cabs then you might otherwise to get back at night. The hotel is cheaper due to the more remote location. If the hotel were in a more close in location it would be much more expensive, and would be one of the best in Paris.

They do have front door security 24 hours a day at the front door to keep drifters out.

Also - I found the ticket machines at the RER at DR to be out of order most of the time, so if you take the train you might get a day or week pass, so you don't have to buy tickets at that point. Also - people hang out asking for change at that station as well.

I did not see any issues when I was there in Sept. But the area is a bit isolated around the hotel and the streets are dark. I think you are OK to take the RER to DR and then walk the 4 blocks down to the hotel - mid-day. The street is wide and there is both an inter and an outer sidewalk. I tended to walk on the outer sidewalk so that I avoided having to walk through the line of people waiting at the homeless shelter. The outer sidewalk keeps you away from the buildings and closer to the street.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ChirurgienJaune
My last stay here was a few weeks ago at the end of March. The lounge was physically accessible from 6:00-midnight every day with soft drinks/coffee but the following were the service hours.

Monday to Friday
  • Breakfast: 6:30-10:30
  • Tea Time: 15:00-17:30
  • Salad Bar and Appetizers: 17:30-19:30
  • Wine and Beers: 17:30-21:30
When I last stayed here about a year ago, I noticed that the staff left out some plates of pastries
after the official end of breakfast. Also, as the hotel was fairly full, the lounge was open for happy hour drinks and appetizers at least one weekend night during my stay. Even though it wasn't announced, I noticed that if one didn't wat to fight the restaurant buffet crowds for weekend breakfast, there was an unannounced light continental breakfast in the lounge.

As a PP I was given a high floor room with a view, but NO suite or even junior suite.

ADDED. To avoid issues of the neighborhood, one could leave the RER at the Pont Royal station, which requires absolutely no stairs if you have wheeled luggage, and take a taxi from there. The Luxembourg station is in a nice and populated area but has some stairs according to accessibility information.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cova
Let me just say, 20-30 years ago, when I traveled to Paris frequently, I would think nothing of walking down deserted, dark streets and alleys at 2am in the morning alone.

Now I am much more cautious, and many areas in Paris have changed (and unfortunately for the worst).

The best areas are the Marais to the Opera and then over to the Champs Elysess to the Arc de Triomphe. Left Bank areas closer to Notre Dame.

But more outlining areas (like where the Marriott is located) have changed. Even Les Halles (the large shopping center) which was vibrant at one time is closed for a 10+ year redo and the people on the street there have changed significantly.

A couple of years ago I was on the metro from Place De La Republique and headed to Champs Elysess area for a dinner cruise. On the way back on the metro - some thugs near the Gare Du Nord station jumped on the train just before the doors were ready to close and attempted to grap a young man and pull him off the train to rob him.

My first stay at this Marriott was this past September and I was uncomfortable getting off the train nearby and walking down to the hotel. I did this also at 11pm and would not repeat that. So I would not recommend taking the RER to Denfert Rochereau at 11pm.

I thought the hotel itself was wonderful, great staff, and I was upgraded to a very nice two room suite with a great view. Hands down the hotel itself is great.

But I never really saw many people from the hotel venture far from the hotel. There were several large tour groups at the hotel and they were pick up by several large buses during the day. Also - seemed like most business travelers took taxis.

The point here is to be cautions and alert and likely don't walk far from the hotel at night. The hotel is very nice for a Paris hotel, so it is likely worth the stay, just maybe call a taxi to go to the tourist areas. The hotel is off the main tourist area, hence its lower price than other Marriott properties on the right bank.

Yes,

Europe has changed from what it was 20 -30 years ago -- frankly, it has become much more like the USA.

If you take sensible precautions in US cities then European ones are no worse -- that has been my experience.

However, I will say that NYC has become better in the last 20 years, but that does not mean that you should let your guard down. The Marais might be better than other parts, but of course, you run the risk of the odd terrorist targeting Jews or other minorities there.

Hence, if you exercise prudence, it will be fine.

By the way, my niece was 12 and her brothers were 15 and 17 and they had no issues at the hotel or with the surrounding area, with or without my brother and his wife accompanying them.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 24, 2015 at 10:44 am
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Interesting point, I think most U.S. cities have gotten safer in the last 20 years. Chicago, NYC, San Fran, L.A, D.C are all excellent cities to walk around at night with families, not even a second worry.

NYC was the pits in the late 70s and up to 95 IMO. If Paris is turning into that, the NYC of the 70-80s, then my family will be surely disappointed. Was last in Paris in 97 and thought it was safe from top to bottom. While you have me second guessing the Rive Gauche stay now, I think we will be fine and I am not worried as long as the wife and kids feel safe. I will keep my Trocadero stay on the books for now.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:13 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I visit Paris every year, it's just a train ride from London, or a quick plane hop. I've stayed all around Paris, including the Rive Gauche a couple of years ago and have never felt unsafe walking around at night. Like all cities it has its villains but you'll be really unlucky to come across one...
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I visit Paris every year, it's just a train ride from London, or a quick plane hop. I've stayed all around Paris, including the Rive Gauche a couple of years ago and have never felt unsafe walking around at night. Like all cities it has its villains but you'll be really unlucky to come across one...
I didn't feel unsafe in the area two summers ago, but I wasn't coming and going late at night by myself. Walking alone in the area at 8-9 pm seemed fine, but I pay attention on the street. I usually tend toward the cautious side on these issues and my only concern was some of the people hanging out in or around the RER station. I could have easily becoming a victim of pickpockets while purchasing tickets from the machines or when entering or exiting the station with luggage.

I feel uncomfortable in much of the 5th and also on the outskirts of Paris. I also avoid the Gare du Nord area as I consider it rather notorious.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

http://www.yelp.com/biz/paris-marrio...r-paris?q=SAFE
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Thursday night, my wife and I walked from the RER to the hotel at 23:50 with no problems. The street lighting is not bright, but sufficient. Yes there was a group of men in non-western garb hanging out by the corner of rue de la Tombe-Issoire, since the weather was nice, but we were totally ignored. The late-night market was still open and there were many others on the sidewalk.

This is not a hotel for the Paris novice and is not close to most tourist sites (not that they are all in the same place anyways). But it is the best choice for us, because we feel the neighborhood is more "Parisian" than any other near the center of town.

If you don't want to walk from the RER, you can always transfer to the #6 metro and exit at St. Jacques or Glaciere.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by cova
The area is pretty dead, and I would not walk around the area at night. You are better off on the right bank. Things have changed in Paris a lot over the last 10-15 years and it isn't as safe as it used to be.
I guess it depends on your definition of night. My family and I, 4 of us, walked up and down the street numerous times last summer after dark but before 10:30p or so, and had no concerns at all. I can't vouch for walking alone at 3am. Certainly no issues at all during the day. And we never saw vast hoards of homeless people anywhere.

In my planning, the time from room to major locations we traveled was no longer than it was from most of the downtown properties - just more time on the train instead of walking.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPRich
I guess it depends on your definition of night. My family and I, 4 of us, walked up and down the street numerous times last summer after dark but before 10:30p or so, and had no concerns at all. I can't vouch for walking alone at 3am. Certainly no issues at all during the day. And we never saw vast hoards of homeless people anywhere.

In my planning, the time from room to major locations we traveled was no longer than it was from most of the downtown properties - just more time on the train instead of walking.
I can attest to this. We just returned today from a 3 day stay at this property. Returned every night well after midnight, including a fairly decent walk from Montparnesse one night and the latin quarter another night - each over 1 mile in distance - and we never felt unsafe or witnessed anything like mentioned. Certainly not my experience living here in Dallas - where the last couple of times we walked back home we ran into pretty scary situations both times.

The location is just fine imo. There is no place in Paris that is close to all the sights - whatever that means. If you are close to one section, then pretty far from another bunch of sites. Honestly, with the metro stop right across and the RER at Denfert-Rocheau it is really well connected to make the most of your stay.

I would have considered the Trocadero property if there wasn't such a huge price difference (over 100 euros /night). At $135/night at this place, I was very happy.

The lounge timings as posted were correct. We got the nicer restaurant breakfast on Sat-Sun and only ate at the lounge today (which was pretty reasonable actually).

All said, a comfortable stay, even though we didn't get upgraded to a suite (we did get an "upgrade" to a high floor with a Paris view, so it was fine with us). The one thing that really stood out was the number of American guests here compared to other nationalities, and also, the number of tour groups that they cater too. There was always a mob of guests in the front/restaurant/lobby along with a bunch of buses always in front at any given hour. That said, check-in/out was easy and didn't take much time.

I'd recommend this, but not if you are looking for a true Parisian hotel experience. It feels like any typical US property with nothing Parisian about it.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Should of asked this before but does this Marriott have American outlets in the room or is there multiple options for power in the room, thanks. Been a while since I was in France and never at a American Hotel.

If so, do all the Marriott's, say London as well have American type outlets in the rooms?
Old May 14, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Should of asked this before but does this Marriott have American outlets in the room or is there multiple options for power in the room, thanks. Been a while since I was in France and never at a American Hotel.

If so, do all the Marriott's, say London as well have American type outlets in the rooms?
Haven't been to France in a while, but I know London properties have American type outlets.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:33 am

They do not have American style outlets but you can borrow an adapter and/or transformer from the business center located down the stairs from the front desk.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:44 pm

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel

This was not built as a Marriott. It was originally a European chain as result the plugs are European

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.