Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Misuse of Corporate\Discounted Rate Codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misuse of Corporate\Discounted Rate Codes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Mikee1
I see no reason to stay at a lesser hotel or to be financially penalized because I work for a small company that Marriott cares less about. I do not see any ethical problem in fully taking advantage of another companies negotiated corporate rate.
1. These negotiated rates may be a violation of the Clayton Anti Trust act as there is no proven competitive situation the hotel was meeting yet they give discounts away.

2. These negotiated rates are a way of asking the consumer to subsidize large corporations. My $200 room and their $100 average $150 for the hotel. The hotel needs to average $150 to operate. But the consumer ends up subsidizing chase bank, bank of america, or Microsoft or staying at a lessor hotel.
Welcome to FT. We even have room for fact-free and ethics-free posts like this one.

Also, you forgot to add number 3: "It's all Obama's fault."
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You aren't breaking any laws, you aren't killing any puppies, but you know you are lying so why try to justify it? If you are ok lying, just do it. We'll all do what we are ethically inclined to do as well.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I see no reason to stay at a lesser hotel or to be financially penalized because I work for a small company that Marriott cares less about. I do not see any ethical problem in fully taking advantage of another companies negotiated corporate rate.
1. These negotiated rates may be a violation of the Clayton Anti Trust act as there is no proven competitive situation the hotel was meeting yet they give discounts away.

2. These negotiated rates are a way of asking the consumer to subsidize large corporations. My $200 room and their $100 average $150 for the hotel. The hotel needs to average $150 to operate. But the consumer ends up subsidizing chase bank, bank of america, or Microsoft or staying at a lessor hotel.
You are wrong and I work for a small company. It is a way that hotels provide value to large customers. Buy anything in bulk and you get a discount. I suggest you re-evaluate your morals and start buying everything in single quantity.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Revived an almost 9yr old thread? Seriously? Lock this one.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Eh, might as well go through this debate every decade or so! Maybe someone will say something new and different.

Bruce
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Maybe lock this one and open a recent new thread? Seriously a year or two revival is acceptable but a nine year old thread resurrected? Surely you could open a new one?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Why bother? Maybe reading the old arguments will spare people the need to make them all over again.

Bruce
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Originally Posted by cyberdad
The only time he was questioned was at the full-serve Marriott at Overland Park, KS (Kansas City)....where he was working with Sprint. He was asked to produce a letter to that effect from Sprint. He provided that the next day. It went into the hotel's database, and he hasn't had a problem there since.
The OPKS Sheraton and Hilton will also ask you. Too much abuse of the Sprint rate w/o authorization. Though production of any sprint letter, and all of them will let you use the rate.

Personally, as a former consultant, I've used more rates than I can possibly even recall. in the USA and internationally. With the exception of the Sprint rate in KC, and one IBM rate in St Louis, I can say I've had nearly zero hotels (of any chain) ask me for verification.

And before I get flamed, because I was billing my hotel back to my customer, I was staying at their preferred hotel they specified at their rate... Though it was nice to get the Ritz in Atlanta for $99... Loved that
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Come on. It's a scam and you got away with it.

Justifying it? Not.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TooMuchTravel73
as a former consultant, I've used [...] IBM rate in St Louis

[...]

because I was billing my hotel back to my customer
So IBM engaged you as a consultant?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dayone
So IBM engaged you as a consultant?
Can't address the FTer who posted, but I do know IBM hires consultants. A friend of mine has consulted for IBM, ATT & other large firms (at very high consulting fees) & is told to use their rate at hotels when on bizness for them.

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can't address the FTer who posted, but I do know IBM hires consultants. A friend of mine has consulted for IBM, ATT & other large firms (at very high consulting fees) & is told to use their rate at hotels when on bizness for them.

Cheers.
My company has had me go in and do sessions for an entity within IBM. While I did not use their corporate rate, ours was good, I would have had to reservations about asking them if I could use their rate, which we do when a customer might have a good rate where we do not. While technically a consultant (that's my title) who is being brought in to work with IBM, the difference between what I do versus what is being discussed above is IBM is not hiring me, rather, they are bringing me in courtesy of my employer.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
At my previous company did a lot of work at IBM sites. They always told me to book with their rate. But it was authorized by IBM and hotels were told ahead of time I would be there.

But I would never just use some companies discount code. That's just wrong.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a client has a discounted rate at a hotel near the site you are visiting, and they are paying for your stay, of course they are going to want you to use the discounted rate. This happens all the time. That's not misuse. The people who are misusing corp/special rates know who they are.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
If a client has a discounted rate at a hotel near the site you are visiting, and they are paying for your stay, of course they are going to want you to use the discounted rate. This happens all the time. That's not misuse. The people who are misusing corp/special rates know who they are.
Agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.