Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gratuities for front desk staff

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Gratuities for front desk staff

Just wondering what general thoughts are regarding tipping front desk staff.

I'm a generous tipper, but usually only towards what I think are typical staff...waiters, concierge, bellhop, valet, housekeeping etc.
I have come across some excellent front desk staff, wanted to tip, but wasn't sure if that would be too gaudy. General google searches seem to indicate tipping FD staff is acceptable if appropriate.

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
What about the security guard, parking garage attendant, groundskeepers and store clerk?

FDA's, like those other workers, need to be compensated properly by the property. Even then, they are ultimately compensated by guests and their room charges.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sure. And some people wonder why they never get an UG?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Often1
So you need to bribe them?

I usually get upgrades, no need to slip them $20.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Often1
That's called a bribe, and can get employees fired.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What may be satisfactory in one region or nation may be unacceptable in another. The OP needs to be specific about location.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think the FD should tip the customers.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
When I encounter great service, whether it be the FDC, concierge, housekeeping (fill in the blank), I send a note to the GM cc'ing Marriott HQ complimenting (fill in the blank) & asking that my note be put in their personnel file.

I've been told that, in some instances, the GM reads the note to everyone out loud on weekly mtgs, so the employee gets kudos (and hopefully it helps them if it comes to a raise). I normally get a letter back from HQ, although the GM probably has more input re: the employee.

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I always tip at the front desk because I notice they take care of me better and they work hard. I'm at a Marriott now and I gave the Ops Mgr $40 in tips because she blocks a particular room for me, gets my extra pillows, left chocolate covered strawberries in the room for me as an amenity and just really makes me feel like a VIP. I also tipped the front office mgr $20 because she goes above and beyond for me as well.

Maybe it is unusual but if I feel taken care of I will tip well. And I do it everywhere. I like to find usually a couple people that I like taking care of me because they get to know my preferences and I feel more comfortable dealing with them. Case in point, last night spoke to a woman I had never met, asked for a wake up call and it was not put in.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:18 am

Tips are given for service

Bribes are given to get something you may or may not be entitled to.

If you are "tipping" before you get service (or your room assignment) you are "bribing" and as far as I know the only place that's really an accepted practice is Las Vegas.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
When I encounter great service, whether it be the FDC, concierge, housekeeping (fill in the blank), I send a note to the GM cc'ing Marriott HQ complimenting (fill in the blank) & asking that my note be put in their personnel file.
This is what I do as well. It'll probably give the employee a better overall and longer term benefit than a tip would provide.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I hate tipping period, because I feel people should be paid a wage that encourages them to do their job well. Of course, I do tip at restaurants because I know servers are not paid that wage. But I would never tip a front desk clerk.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Any kind of bribery is a good way to help a country slip down the slope of corruption.

There are lots of studies on it, but THIS summarizes it well.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Romelle
Any kind of bribery is a good way to help a country slip down the slope of corruption.

There are lots of studies on it, but THIS summarizes it well.
Someone has to be assigned to the room next to the elevator shaft and ice machine and someone gets the really cool room with the ocean view and no noise.

I'll ponder your concern for the downfall of society from my perch overlooking the ocean !
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by rastaman777
Just wondering what general thoughts are regarding tipping front desk staff.

I'm a generous tipper, but usually only towards what I think are typical staff...waiters, concierge, bellhop, valet, housekeeping etc.
I have come across some excellent front desk staff, wanted to tip, but wasn't sure if that would be too gaudy. General google searches seem to indicate tipping FD staff is acceptable if appropriate.

Thanks!
I too am a generous tipper, however I will not tip the FD. They are in fact paid a living wage to provide excellent service.

btw, I've re-read the OP's question, and I don't see where he was suggesting tipping a FD clerk for an upgrade, which I too believe would be a bribe for future upgrades. But on the surface it looks as though the question was merely a service question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.