Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gratuities for front desk staff

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Firmly into OMNI territory now...

IBTL
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Americans have just gone so overboard with their tipping culture it embarrasses me to be an American - sigh.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:22 pm

I generally do not tip the front desk staff... except at nice hotels in Vegas. That's half to get an upgrade (that almost never happens) and half out of custom. When in Vegas start throwing your money away fast and furious!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I've worked in a few hotels (small/boutique and large/mega-resort). At the small, boutique hotels I received quite a bit in tips as I was a Front Desk agent, bellman, chauffeur/concierge. Most tips came from my chauffeur runs as we provided free transportation to nearby areas. Never really expected to receive a tip as a FDA even though I would do a few bag/ice runs. At the large, mega-resort I would receive tips as "bribes" for better rooms. Hotels frown upon it though as they're losing a lot of possible revenue which is why they do a commission system instead.

Funny though that people mention that FDAs make a livable wage so they don't deserve a tip while waiters/waitresses do. At the boutique hotel I worked at, we had a fantastic restaurant where waiters/waitresses would easily make 3-10X as much depending on the day and meal service. Sure they're being paid less than min. wage but they can easily make a boatload of $ from the tips. Meanwhile, I will be doing bag runs or drop-off in the hotel car while getting $0 in tip.

What really matters for FDAs are compliments that are sent via emails/letters/survey. It also is nice when you're on a first name basis with a repeat guest. Good feeling.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
I understand the dilemma

I stay, at least, one night per week, in the same hotel in Budapest

I'm always treated very, very well & the majority of the staff know my name.

Two weeks ago, I asked, when checking in, if there was a possibility to upgrade a "very special customer" who had no status with Marriott, for the following evening (one night stay - I would still be a guest)

Customers exact quote "OMG, they put me in the Presedentail Suite"

(Those of you who have stayed in Budapest; know the hotel by now...)

I sent a note of thanks to the generic "front desk" email account

Last week, upon checking in, "Mr Wickersley, thank you for the note, but please don't do it again. ***** got reprimanded"

My view - its good to say thanks, but cash (or staus!) for favours; clearly does not go down well.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Why not tip police officers
​​​​​​
Not going to jail is one reason.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Wickersley

Two weeks ago, I asked, when checking in, if there was a possibility to upgrade a "very special customer" who had no status with Marriott, for the following evening (one night stay - I would still be a guest)

Last week, upon checking in, "Mr Wickersley, thank you for the note, but please don't do it again. ***** got reprimanded"

My view - its good to say thanks, but cash (or staus!) for favours; clearly does not go down well.
Yes, when someone goes above and beyond in providing service it is always best to be vague when writing thanks. A simple, "John/Jane exceeded my expectations in providing excellent customer service" is best. Sometimes to provide what the customer wants requires a bending of the rules and if the thank you note is specific, the thank you note backfires on the employee.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by controller1
Yes, when someone goes above and beyond in providing service it is always best to be vague when writing thanks. A simple, "John/Jane exceeded my expectations in providing excellent customer service" is best. Sometimes to provide what the customer wants requires a bending of the rules and if the thank you note is specific, the thank you note backfires on the employee.
Employee Appreciation 201 teaches to recognize the person, not the act.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
As I live in Switzerland, I always travel with Swiss chocolate.
As a rule, I give the front desk person a chocolate bar at the end of the check-in process.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Americans have just gone so overboard with their tipping culture it embarrasses me to be an American - sigh.
I renounced my US citizenship in 2011.
I am no longer embarrassed.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gigantor
As I live in Switzerland, I always travel with Swiss chocolate.
As a rule, I give the front desk person a chocolate bar at the end of the check-in process.
That seems kind of creepy to me. "Look, a strange man is offering me candy..."
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by controller1
Originally Posted by dayone
Employee Appreciation 201 teaches to recognize the person, not the act.
Agree.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Wickersley

If I understand you right if you had slipped someone a $20 they would not have been reprimanded so just slip them the cash and don't send an email next time!? Say thanks with greenbacks!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
That seems kind of creepy to me. "Look, a strange man is offering me candy..."
I will never offer you Swiss chocolate.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gigantor
I renounced my US citizenship in 2011.
I am no longer embarrassed.
I'll hang on to it despite the occasional embarrassments, it comes with the occasional, odd, heartwarming moment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.