Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

4am intruder in my room, PHX Airport Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4am intruder in my room, PHX Airport Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Paki81
Just got a call from the GM. Basically, the security company they contract with had an employee that was not supposed to be here but came through and without anyone noticed, grabbed the master key set and ended up in my room. The items have been recovered from another room where he stored them. He was very apologetic to what transpired and the fact that he did not reach out sooner.

So, all is well that ends well but I am not going to stay at this property again.
How does a master key get through the connecting room door? Or, are you saying, you did not have the latch on the front door?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Glad it worked out, but I'd still contact law enforcement AND a lawyer. You need a paper trail of this above and beyond a Flyertalk forum!
ABSOLUTELY! First, filing the police report will help ensure that this case is actually papered and your 4am visitor has to face some consequences for his actions. That's absolutely your civic duty.

Second, Marriott failed you on many, many levels. They owe you, and they owe you big time. After what their employee put you through, the very, very least is that you have earned a free vacation at any Marriott, anywhere in the world. Look at the Marriott Rewards Program and pick out something for several hundred thousand points. Their loss prevention and legal team will gladly give you the MR points for airfare and hotel in exchange for your signing away your rights to sue.

Or, better yet, consider lawyering up. A simple letter from a lawyer might do even more.

It seems, from your tone, that you don't want to drag this out. Good for you.
But you paid Marriott for the special privilege of being a victim of a room invasion and theft by a Marriott employee. They owe you. They need to make it right and make you whole.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: SWA CP, HH Diamond
Wow, thanks for clarifying OP- makes sense.

That is a quite a story. I hope you are properly compensated by the hotel for their clear lack of action. Their response was unacceptable, IMHO.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Glad it worked out but you are owed much, much more than the return of your goods. Dollars to doughnuts this was handled internally and not with the police. Definitely push for more comp if not interested in the legal route.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by catocony
I don't think I've ever had a room where the connecting door is right by the bed like that.
As I'm laying in my Marriott bed right now, surfing FT, I can kick the connecting door (which has both a deadbolt and a hinged latch.)

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
How does a master key get through the connecting room door? Or, are you saying, you did not have the latch on the front door?
Or did not have the connecting door locked? Inquiring minds are curious.

(I don't think I've ever seen a connecting door with a key. Especially one which would open a deadbolt with a blanked panel on the opposite side)
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just got a call from the GM. Basically, the security company they contract with had an employee that was not supposed to be here but came through and without anyone noticed, grabbed the master key set and ended up in my room. The items have been recovered from another room where he stored them. He was very apologetic to what transpired and the fact that he did not reach out sooner.

So, all is well that ends well but I am not going to stay at this property again.
GM needs to be more than apologetic. I would still contact Marriott HQ re: this. It's a #totalfail on the part of the property. You want to point out to Marriott that, in addition to your property being stolen, your safety was at risk. You're lucky you weren't assaulted, in addition to having your things stolen. And it's just creepy to think that you were sleeping while the guy was stealing your things.

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Definitely file a police report and name names. With the story as told, I wouldn't be surprised if the GM was complicit.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: none
THIS. I see the BS flag being hoisted on this one.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
THIS. I see the BS flag being hoisted on this one.
Me theory is that he used the master key to get inside the room next to me. From there, he had 2 doors. The door on his side, he was able to just simply unlock it. I dont know how he was able to unlock my room.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum

Um really? Okay number 1, that Marriott hasn't been renovated in like forever. The mgmt company obviously could care less about spending money to update the property so that's a big red flag to me. Why would you even want to stay at this property? Just read the tripadvisor reviews of the hotel and you could tell it's a poorly managed property.

Secondly, you should be demanding upwards of like 250,000 Marriott points, hell maybe more. What happened to you is appalling and disgusting and you need to get something substantial out of this.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikebor
Um really? Okay number 1, that Marriott hasn't been renovated in like forever. The mgmt company obviously could care less about spending money to update the property so that's a big red flag to me. Why would you even want to stay at this property? Just read the tripadvisor reviews of the hotel and you could tell it's a poorly managed property.

Secondly, you should be demanding upwards of like 250,000 Marriott points, hell maybe more. What happened to you is appalling and disgusting and you need to get something substantial out of this.
I hear u man. You are right, this is a fairly outdated property. I just happen to work very very close from here so choose this place but I think I am going to find another place going forward. How/Who do I start the conversation with about getting points for this?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Me theory is that he used the master key to get inside the room next to me. From there, he had 2 doors. The door on his side, he was able to just simply unlock it. I dont know how he was able to unlock my room.
Do you know for sure that the door was locked on your side? While we all should check when we enter the room, do we really? I'm not faulting you if you didn't check, we are all human, but it's not farfetched to think the security guard and/or someone in cahoots unlocks these doors hoping to enter rooms through unoccupied connecting rooms. The door should not have been unlocked in any case, so your not checking would not relieve the hotel of responsibility.

As I am typing this, I realized I'm in a room with a connecting door and absolutely never checked to be sure it's locked. I will right now.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I hear u man. You are right, this is a fairly outdated property. I just happen to work very very close from here so choose this place but I think I am going to find another place going forward. How/Who do I start the conversation with about getting points for this?
#1 demand it from the GM, in a firm way but slyly mention that you don't want to go the lawyer and lawsuit route, but...

#2 if GM doesn't oblige then you need to contact the mgmt company(ask the GM who he reports to, usually a regional VP from the mgmt company) and explain what happened and use the potential lawsuit/social media/media as your leverage.

#3 if they are unreasonable then at that point you probably have no choice but to get a lawsuit underway and contact Marriott corporate.

You have a solid case to get that amount of points but you need to get on this right away. And yeah, don't stay there again - place is a total dump.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
It's not a "simple deadbolt" that would merely require someone with knowledge on picking locks to open. .
Simple deadbolts have no lock to pick. There's no cylinder at all on the outside, so no lock to pick.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by catocony
As the pics show, it's a simple deadbolt on the connecting door. One for each.

I don't think I've ever had a room where the connecting door is right by the bed like that.
Only once. The Marriott in downtown Los Angeles (now a Hyatt I believe) ad the exact same setup in the suite. I'd never seen it elsewhere either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.