Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I get asked about 30% of the time to show my AAA card. My perception is that your odds of being asked are lower at MHRS and Renaissance; odds of being asked to show are higher at the select service properties (Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, TownePlace Suites).
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I've been asked for both my Entertainment card and my AAA card when I've booked using these discounts.

The AAA card is worth it for me because I use the discounts on everything from hotels to local amusement parks.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:51 pm

I have never been asked for my AAA card. If anything just find a friend or someone that has one get there number, if asked just tell them you left your card in the car but you know the #.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by jshorey
If you just tell the desk to call AAA and look you up since you 'forgot' your card. And give them a bunch of info...9 times out of 10 they won't bother to go to the trouble since you have to sit on the phone for half an hour or so to get a real person.
Didn't work for me. I had an expired card and showed it to them, having failed to put the new card in my wallet. The Las Vegas RI wouldn't honor the rate and wouldn't call to verify I was a current member. Walk up rate jumped almost $100 and I walked across the street to another hotel. I was just a Plt at them time, and I haven't stayed there since
Old Nov 1, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
The interesting thing is that AAA sends you a new card when they send you the bill for the coming year, so if you dont renew, you still have your card. You wouldnt be able to use it for roadside service and other AAA things, but for a hotel you would be able to use it, even if you chose not to renew.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I actually am worried about longing's situation.. I have a valid card but darned if I can find it - just the old one. Since I have been asked (sporadically) for it, I'm a bit concerned so need to get a dupe. But for the orig poster - pay the $40 - good golly almighty already - geesh. Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I actually am worried about longing's situation.. I have a valid card but darned if I can find it - just the old one. Since I have been asked (sporadically) for it, I'm a bit concerned so need to get a dupe. But for the orig poster - pay the $40 - good golly almighty already - geesh. Cheers. Sharon
Here's the problem. I'm in the same situation - I paid for my new AAA year in July. They DON'T send you a new card, they send you a STICKER to put over the old date. Well, AAA sends me so much crap - insurance, credit card offers, etc. - that I have gotten used to throwing their stuff away. Then I end up in front of a hotel desk with an expired card. ( I always put my thumb over the date when showing card)
The funny thing is that the card works when your car won't start because when you call it in they can see your real expiration date.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:43 am

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Here's the problem. I'm in the same situation - I paid for my new AAA year in July. They DON'T send you a new card, they send you a STICKER to put over the old date. Well, AAA sends me so much crap - insurance, credit card offers, etc. - that I have gotten used to throwing their stuff away. Then I end up in front of a hotel desk with an expired card. ( I always put my thumb over the date when showing card)
The funny thing is that the card works when your car won't start because when you call it in they can see your real expiration date.
interesting that you only get a sticker, i'm in my 3rd year with AAA and i've had 3 different cards.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jasonpbyu
interesting that you only get a sticker, i'm in my 3rd year with AAA and i've had 3 different cards.
Probably a function of the state AAA. I'm in Colorado and get fresh spankin' new cards every year - and as previously reported, that's before you even pay up for the new year.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Probably a function of the state AAA. I'm in Colorado and get fresh spankin' new cards every year - and as previously reported, that's before you even pay up for the new year.
yeah must be up to each state AAA. i'm in utah and get a new card each year before paying.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Rasputin
I am not an AAA member. Is anyone going to check for ID when I check in?

(I was surprised not to be able to find a thread on this topic already.) Thanks in advance for your input.
As others have said above...maybe/maybe not, but I'll let everyone's own personal ethics decide what is proper
Old May 17, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
AAA Rates

I'd just like to ask if AAA rates are bookable if one is member with a european Auto association (from Luxembourg)
Old May 17, 2006, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Muerz
I'd just like to ask if AAA rates are bookable if one is member with a european Auto association (from Luxembourg)

Not sure.....but my experience is that AAA rates are usually higher than rates you can find with various codes and on the web.....Just my two cents....
Old May 17, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
You can call your auto club to make absolutely sure that there is some sort of reciprocal agreement with AAA.

In reality, I have never had a AAA rate challenged at any Marriott property I've stayed. As already mentioned, the discount is usually modest.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I found a 149$ AAA rate at the JW Marriott Orlando. Usually AAA rates include breakfast (buffet??) so I think that it should be the lowest available rate for this property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.