Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Brown Palace $35/night Weekends...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brown Palace $35/night Weekends...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iztok
That is why rest can't have nice things
Nope. I jumped on this as I was on the computer when I saw Gary's e-mail and I simply made reservations over the 3 big summer holiday weekends. This was not a case of limited supply, rather it was an error and anyone could have made reservations for my same dates or any other dates -- it would not have mattered as it was a quirk in the system and they finally caught it, that's all.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this point I think they should honor it then. But what do I know.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
At this point I think they should honor it then. But what do I know.
I've now made airline reservations in connection with my hotel reservation. Admittedly, it's with Southwest -- so my risk is exactly zero -- but I do plan to use my room.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
And as for those who talk offer and acceptance as was discussed in the other thread mentioned above, a unilateral mistake by one party is enough to vitiate the contract.
You mean a mistake by either party "unless that party is the customer", right? If I make a non-cancelable reservation and then realize a couple days later that I booked the wrong dates, I can't vitiate the contract, or can I?

I think the more likely legal theory is that the one posted below yours about not having exchanged consideration. Although I know this is not the case with non-cancelable reservations and most other contracts. If I agree to something, I am legally on the hook to fulfill the contract even if I made a mistake, and even if I have not yet paid for or received anything.

I have also heard the legal argument that if you should have known that the other party made a mistake, then they can get out of the deal. IANAL, but it seems like that would be tough to prove in a case like this where a person could have been looking for a cheap hotel in Denver, and decided to book this place. That customer might have no knowledge whatsoever about the typical rates charged for this hotel. This seems akin to me arguing that the Ritz Carlton should have known that I made a mistake in booking a suite since there is no way I could afford that type of room. In both cases, it would require some additional digging to determine the typical rates charged and or the income level of the customer.

To be honest, I have yet to hear a legal theory that makes sense as to why hotels can unilaterally back out of contracts in these cases.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:52 pm

It's great if they do honor it, but don't have to honor that rate. There's always a clause somewhere that states that they reserve the right to change rates, just as other merchants can choose to honor or not honor incorrect prices. I've had a merchant cancel an online order that I got deeply discounted due to a system glitch.

Personally, I'd rather not book something like this, because there is a risk to show up thinking to pay that small amount and end up having to pay the rack rate...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I would print out your original confirmations and check your reservations on Marriott's website up until the time you check in. I know from experience, they can go in and change the rate without notice and you won't realize it until you check in.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:42 am

So if you arrive and they change the rate last minute, there is nothing you can do?

I booked the Renaissance 57 in New York City for a night for $ 49 a night (rate is now gone from their site)...I would hate to arrive there only for them to tell me I'll have to pay 3 times more
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I guess it's now more than 2 weeks since I booked this and not a peep from the Brown Palace. I guess nobody is showing up before mid-May to "test" it. The best of the bad options seems to be to do nothing and hope for the best. I have WN tickets to DEN so I can do whatever I want; heck, I might even go anyway and stay elsewhere if they don't honor the deal.

I guess it's the unfortunate part of booking cheapo hotel deals -- uncertainty.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down Marriott refused to honor this rate

Originally Posted by iahphx
So I guess it's now more than 2 weeks since I booked this and not a peep from the Brown Palace. I guess nobody is showing up before mid-May to "test" it. The best of the bad options seems to be to do nothing and hope for the best. I have WN tickets to DEN so I can do whatever I want; heck, I might even go anyway and stay elsewhere if they don't honor the deal.

I guess it's the unfortunate part of booking cheapo hotel deals -- uncertainty.
So I just got a called from someone at Marriott International. They refused to honor this rate, instead they want to charge me $209 per night for the "correct rate".
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
So I just got a called from someone at Marriott International. They refused to honor this rate, instead they want to charge me $209 per night for the "correct rate".
I am seeing this more often now - where system errors are fixed too late and there's a 'clean up crew' that needs to go in later to fix the damage. I am not too put out if it's something I purchased, I just never want it to be something that has to do with travel...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
I got the same call. It's not so much canceling the rate that's annoying - it's waiting two and a half weeks to do so.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Sun Country Ufly
Dang $283 a night. Anybody got any love come up for March 9th? Struggling to book anything decent for sub $100.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:21 am
Suspended

Not me -- yet.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DealAddict
So if you arrive and they change the rate last minute, there is nothing you can do?

I booked the Renaissance 57 in New York City for a night for $ 49 a night (rate is now gone from their site)...I would hate to arrive there only for them to tell me I'll have to pay 3 times more
Although $150/nt at a good property in Manhattan is still not a bad rate...

$209 for an off-peak weekend night Denver is a little bit absurd. Select holiday weekends, okay, I get it...

I've stayed in the Brown Palace a few times. We used to get it often on our corporate rate. It's okay, but several other Marriotts in town are better. Stay there once, look for ghosts, and then stay at the Residence Inn on Champa after that...no ghosts, but good beer.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Although $150/nt at a good property in Manhattan is still not a bad rate...

$209 for an off-peak weekend night Denver is a little bit absurd. Select holiday weekends, okay, I get it...

I've stayed in the Brown Palace a few times. We used to get it often on our corporate rate. It's okay, but several other Marriotts in town are better. Stay there once, look for ghosts, and then stay at the Residence Inn on Champa after that...no ghosts, but good beer.
Is that the one that is still a Cat 5?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.