Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip envelopes in rooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by jn in ca
Tell you what. I'll make a deal with Marriott. I'll start leaving tips on days when the maids clean my room just as soon as Marriott starts crediting my bill a few bucks for everyday that I leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door. Think I'm crazy? that is already the way it works at the LVH.

I'm a really clean guest, and rarely need housekeeping, but I don't get a tip for that.

Nope. I've seen variations on this misinformed but common attitude in the comment area following this story on all the websites. So let's clear this up: the overwhelming majority of Marriott's are franchises. (Same with Hilton. It is similar, but a little different over at Hyatt and Starwood.) The hotels are not owned by Marriott. If you do not like what the staff is being paid, then please complain, but to the hotel's owner, who is not Marriott.

Otherwise, this could quickly digress into a general whining session about the salaries of corporate executives, which has happened to this story on some other websites today.

Bottom line, this announcement has nothing to do with Marriott's bottom line. This was a deal to grab some left-wing brownie points by partnering with Maria Shriver. If it has the intended effect, getting Maria Shriver followers to stay at Marriott, then good for Marriott, but this announcement was a marketing plan, not a business plan.
Thank you.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Tip envelopes in rooms.

Here in Europe, it is "International Housekeeping Week". At the MVCI Resort we are staying at, all the HK staff drive around the resort in modified golf carts - the resort is spread across the whole of one of the the two courses. All the HK carts are decked out with balloons and bunting announcing the week. Management also announced why the balloons etc. Here in Spain, tipping is not expected but is appreciated. At the end of our two week stay I will be leaving my customary envelope with a decent tip for the HK staff who have looked after us extremely well. The whole operation is outsourced by the resort management and I am sure the HK staff are on minimum wages but they are always very friendly and helpful.
This coincided with this thread and so perhaps it is also International Housekeeping week in the USA also.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by jxd
I don't see the need to tip the maid unless I'm asking for extra or special requests. I'm already paying $200 up for a room with my hard earned money, why should I help the hotel to pay their staffs who are just doing their job?

The tipping culture is getting out of hand. You see "tip jars" at cafés, cashiers and what not. Why the heck do I tip you for collecting money, it's your job.

Do you tip bus drivers for driving you safely to your destination? Do you tip dishwashers for washing your plates? Do you tip the laundromat for washing your clothes?
100% concur!

I'm from Jpn where I would somewhat accurately generalize that people tend to have less sense of entitlement as opposed to the States, and I don't think it's coincidence that there's no such thing as tipping in Jpn culture. I've now spent >1/2 of my years in the States, and tipping is a concept that I've accepted but could never embrace.

Even then, I'd have less of a problem with tipping if it's practiced in ways that make sense. But why are we expected to leave a tip at a takeout food stand? Why do we have to tip the buffet omelette station guy just because he cooks in front of you as opposed to cooking inside the kitchen? How do you rationalize tip jars seen at mere checkout counters of some stores these days? I work in healthcare and our business is a heck of a lot more service-oriented in every way than coffeeshops. So why is tipping off limits in clinics? (not that I want to get tipped for what I do, of course) Why does housekeeping deserve a tip, but not concierge or groundskeeper or security?

Pretty shameless move by Marriott. Just hope the entire hotel industry doesn't follow suit.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
When I book a hotel room part of the service I pay for is the housekeeping. If I vomit on the carpet or cause some unusual mess than I will leave a tip to cover the effort of dealing with something out of the ordinary. Other than that tipping housekepping doesnt enter my contemplation.

When they leave sheets in a pile at the end of the bed and a vacuum cleaner and mop in the corner I might tip a cleaner to come and service my room or choose to do it myself.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by dank0014
The flip side is us saying charge to room, but now the housekeeper will be taxed on that as it will go reported with credit card tips. Both sides of the picture here....
If someone believes that tips are a expected norm and compensate for low wages, then they should have no issue with having the tip reported as taxable income.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 am
HMO

Originally Posted by sammiches
How about the hotel pay their employees a fare wage and they won't have to spend money on this silly marketing campaign.
BTW, they are probably spending more with this marketing campaign than with an year raise for all their maids.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by acvitale
The below letter was emailed to the two media contacts for the Marriott " Envelope program", [email protected] (Angela Wiggins of Marriott) and [email protected] (Sierra Wilson of A Woman's Nation)

I would encourage others who feel as I do to reach out to them and let them know how misguided this is and that it will be exposed for what it really is!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies,

It is somewhat sad and definitely pathetic that "A woman's nation" would support the latest effort to shift an honest days pay from the employer and on to hotel guest.

Marriott on the other hand should be ashamed outright but, in nothing more then a blatant attempt to shift the expenses from a company that netted over 1.7B in profit last year for its housekeeping staff to the guests whom are already increasingly getting nickeled and dimed with every stay.

<snip>

We will be making ourselves available to media outlets, buying media space and going to social media to ensure this program and its accomplices are exposed for the heartless and greedy corporate goons and naive social groups that are working to active disenfranchise the working American housekeepers who are just trying to make it.

Oh and by the way, I am one of the ones who does tip for "Good or Exceptional Service" but, I am not going to be browbeat into doing so.

Sincerely,

ACVITALE
Well you certainly let them know how you feel & that effective 10/1/14 you'll walk your talk by shifting bizness elsewhere, which is the appropriate thing to do if one is in disagreement with policy.

The only thing I would question - and if you actually do it - please post a link is the buying media space to protest. Are you actually going to foot the bill for such a thing?

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by DIR_Cherokee
I would not be offended by the presence of a tip envelope in my hotel room, I'm under no obligation to use it, just like I'm under no obligation to use the bible in the drawer, the dry cleaning slip, the Papa John's coupons, or the blaring pay per view movie channel adverts when I turn on the TV. There's a lot of stuff in a hotel room I don't need or use, one more envelope isn't going to change my opinion of the place.

As a matter of personal preference I also tip my barber, skycaps, bell persons, concierges, taxi drivers, tour guides, and waiters/waitresses. Many people who have posted here seem to take offense at leaving a tip for housekeeping, yet they state they do tip other professions as well. What's the difference? Why should Marriott suffer your ire for not paying housekeepers 'enough' but you're okay with tipping the bellman at the same hotel? Why don't Yellow Cab, Ruth's Chris, or Olive Garden share a similar disdain?
My perspective is very much like yours. So the question to those on the opposite end of the debate - I'm also curious why some folks take no offense at tipping the bellhop, concierge, or valet person at the hotel but perceive maid tips as not ever being necessary or appropriate (assuming the maid's service level warrants it)?

There is the argument that you have to deal face-to-face with a bellhop for example, but not the maid. So does that mean we're only tipping the bellhop due to the "peer pressure" of the moment? If so, that seems a very poor reason to tip.

Is the argument based upon the nature of the work they're doing for us? If that's it, then the argument seems weak. I can't think of a way that the bellhop could do an outstanding job of taking my bags to my room; or the valet doing a better-than-normal job of retrieving my car without damage.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by imverge
I don't care if the "Marriott" hotel I'm staying at is owned by Marriott or a franchisee. Marriott Corp. does have pull as in ensuring staff are being paid fair wages! Marriott should be auditing their properties it's their name and brand after-all.
+1000!!! ^

For this issue, or any issue where the end user (the guest) is involved, Marriott's corporate structure is a moot point.

It's a major pet peeve of mine when a major brand that holds a client relationship with me blames a contractor, supplier, franchisee, or subsidiary for a problem. Their internal vendor relationships and/or corporate structure shouldn't be my problem.

(To be fair, this rant is directed at the travel industry as a whole, not Marriott.)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
+1000!!! ^

For this issue, or any issue where the end user (the guest) is involved, Marriott's corporate structure is a moot point.

It's a major pet peeve of mine when a major brand that holds a client relationship with me blames a contractor, supplier, franchisee, or subsidiary for a problem. Their internal vendor relationships and/or corporate structure shouldn't be my problem.

(To be fair, this rant is directed at the travel industry as a whole, not Marriott.)
Absolutely. When you manage the banner (or brand), you need to take ownership and culpability of the end-to-end experience. Customers should never notice or care whether they're staying at a corporate or franchised Marriott.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
I'll stick with my Starwood 500 points for not getting my room serviced, I was considering switching brands but the tip envelope was the deal breaker.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
It's been years since I've regularly seen stationary in hotel rooms, so it will be nice to find a handy envelope to hold receipts in my room, so I don't have to get one from the front desk.

I've been staying in hotel rooms on a regular basis for over 25 years, and the first time I've ever heard of tipping housekeeping on a regular basis was here on FT when I was a new member.

I give this program a big . Tipping housekeeping for regular service is not the norm, and I find this bit of social engineering to shift part of the employee compensation package directly to the customer unseemly.

A few things Marriott seems to overlook are that a good number of employers limit or disallow tips to be expensed, and that many visitors to the States already are annoyed by the tipping culture here.

Originally Posted by CJAD News
So how much should you leave? Marriott International CEO Arne Sorenson says $1 to $5 per night, depending on room rate, with more for a high-priced suite.
What if I use a code for a good rate for a standard room, and then get upgraded to a Presidential Suite? $20 tip for a $120 rate?

Originally Posted by acvitale
The below letter was emailed to the two media contacts for the Marriott " Envelope program", [email protected] (Angela Wiggins of Marriott) and [email protected] (Sierra Wilson of A Woman's Nation)
Well stated. ^
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Tip envelopes in rooms.

Maybe it's the New Jersey in me but I just ignore it and pay no mind. I still prefer Marriott even though I don't agree with this.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Resort Fee or Tipping

I refuse to tip if I'm charged any kind of resort fee. I guess that's my breaking point, and anyway just roll the tip in with everything else.

As a side I think leaving a handful of change is tacky. I have not found a difference in quality tipping or not, though I do find a huge difference in tidying and room cleaning by geographical region.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lemfc
I refuse to tip if I'm charged any kind of resort fee. I guess that's my breaking point, and anyway just roll the tip in with everything else.

As a side I think leaving a handful of change is tacky. I have not found a difference in quality tipping or not, though I do find a huge difference in tidying and room cleaning by geographical region.
Please don't give Marriott any ideas to either add/increase resort fees or to add a new mandatory housekeeping fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.