FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tip envelopes in rooms
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:28 am
N965VJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
It's been years since I've regularly seen stationary in hotel rooms, so it will be nice to find a handy envelope to hold receipts in my room, so I don't have to get one from the front desk.

I've been staying in hotel rooms on a regular basis for over 25 years, and the first time I've ever heard of tipping housekeeping on a regular basis was here on FT when I was a new member.

I give this program a big . Tipping housekeeping for regular service is not the norm, and I find this bit of social engineering to shift part of the employee compensation package directly to the customer unseemly.

A few things Marriott seems to overlook are that a good number of employers limit or disallow tips to be expensed, and that many visitors to the States already are annoyed by the tipping culture here.

Originally Posted by CJAD News
So how much should you leave? Marriott International CEO Arne Sorenson says $1 to $5 per night, depending on room rate, with more for a high-priced suite.
What if I use a code for a good rate for a standard room, and then get upgraded to a Presidential Suite? $20 tip for a $120 rate?

Originally Posted by acvitale
The below letter was emailed to the two media contacts for the Marriott " Envelope program", [email protected] (Angela Wiggins of Marriott) and [email protected] (Sierra Wilson of A Woman's Nation)
Well stated. ^