Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do hotels get compensated when using Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do hotels get compensated when using Points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by socrates
I would ask that you re-read my post
And Vicki corrected me on 4/10, so why should I?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
parker meridien starwood lawsuit

google the terms above for some interesting insights into exactly how the SPG program was handling this issue, and for how these procedures may have been used by certain hotels to their benefit.

I presume there's an FT thread but I will leave that to others to dig out...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by catharsis
google the terms above for some interesting insights into exactly how the SPG program was handling this issue, and for how these procedures may have been used by certain hotels to their benefit.

I presume there's an FT thread but I will leave that to others to dig out...
the programs are all very similar regardless of hotel company.....
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've never understood the fascination some FTers have with how hotels get compensated when using points. I have little interest & really don't care, but obviously for others it's important because the topic comes up yearly.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've never understood the fascination some FTers have with how hotels get compensated when using points. I have little interest & really don't care, but obviously for others it's important because the topic comes up yearly.

Cheers.
Me too. What does it matter as long as we can use them (the points)?

I think we've debunked the myth (at Marriott) that point stays get crappy treatment (in general, there might be some renegade FD clerks out there). I've seen tiny amounts $13-$15 appear on my folio in the past that took some effort to remove and these must be related somehow but other than that, who cares?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold

Cheers.
It is along the same lines as "what are my points worth..." threads you will see on FT (including this forum).

Understanding the business model of the award programs can help the customer understand the motivation of some properties in their treatment of award guests. Yes, they say it shouldn't make any difference, but sometimes it does.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keeton
It is along the same lines as "what are my points worth..." threads you will see on FT (including this forum).

Understanding the business model of the award programs can help the customer understand the motivation of some properties in their treatment of award guests. Yes, they say it shouldn't make any difference, but sometimes it does.
unfortunately the programs are complex for the hotels too and some folks just never fully understand how to maximize the return on them (and yes I'm talking about hotels here not guests)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
unfortunately the programs are complex for the hotels too and some folks just never fully understand how to maximize the return on them (and yes I'm talking about hotels here not guests)
And some properties do it "all to well"...see lawsuit referenced above.

In my own experience, I have had several "$13.00" folios slipped under my door. On the other hand, one time when I was staying in Boston and having to switch hotels due to award availability, and lack thereof, I mentioned this when I was checking out of my first property and the manager said "Oh, we can get you a room..." and encouraged me to stay. Afterwards, I realized that they would get reimbursed at the higher rate and would make money on the deal.

Hilton unwittingly posted their boilerplate franchise agreements for their different brands on their unsecured web site a while back. This included the hotel's participation in HHonors and the policies thereof. As a frequent traveler, it was an eye-opening read. As you said:

the programs are all very similar regardless of hotel company.....
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

$22.73 for a Rewards night at Vancouver Airport Marriott.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
FYI - Marriott only pays in whole dollars
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold

Cheers.
Plus 1. Seriously why would anyone care?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
FYI - Marriott only pays in whole dollars
Whole dollars in which currency?

What's whole dollars in US dollars is not necessarily whole dollars in Canadian dollars. And last I checked, Vancouver Airport is in Canada.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What's whole dollars in US dollars is not necessarily whole dollars in Canadian dollars. And last I checked, Vancouver Airport is in Canada.
Good point. My info was in USD. 25.00 CAD would be a reasonable conversion.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Whole dollars in which currency?

USD - but having just looked at the hotels minimum reimbursement amount I can assure you the amount posted here is not even close to being correct in either CAD or USD (the amount is posted in CAD)
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

Cheers.
Every FTer may have different motives...

for me personally Im curious from a business standpoint from a revenue management and customer service angle.

With Marriott---are points different than cert stays?

If the hotel feels there are screwed by points or free night certificate stays then this will likely reflect on how they treat you as a customer.

If they expect to get $200 per night but the points/cert stay only gets them $100 per night or even less, then they may treat you poorly by putting you in the problem rooms.

If the hotel knows they will get max compensation for a cert/points stay that is great then the current market rate for a stay there, then they will go out of their way to get you to use those certs/points to stay there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.