Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VIP service at Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:47 am
Original Poster

VIP service at Marriott?

I was staying at a Marriott with an executive lounge. There was a couple that I saw everyday at breakfast and dinner. They would always have a table set for them at the breakfast buffet and executive lounge with drinks poured before they arrived. The managers would always go over to greet them. The chef at breakfast would bring them their food. They even had the door opened at the executive lounge and the elevator called for them by the executive host. I thought maybe they were staying in the presidential suite but they always took an elevator to a lower floor. I find it interesting because I found the service to be decent at the hotel but I certainly never got service even close to that. Any ideas of how one can get this kind of service? Is this the kind of service you get as a platinum?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
They're probably a top 50 guest at the hotel by number of nights in a year, maybe even top 5 or 10 on that list. Your typical platinum or platinum premier guest would not get that treatment. As for the lower floor, they might be staying in a suite. The nicest rooms are not always on the top floors. Some of the suites are usually on lower floors.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by splicer100
Any ideas of how one can get this kind of service? Is this the kind of service you get as a platinum?
Not necessarily as a Plat because there are quite often many Plats staying at any given hotel, although some hotels do go above and beyond. There are fewer Plat Premiers, so perhaps that is the reason if they are PP, although I doubt that alone is the reason.

More likely they are Plats or PP who are regular guests at this hotel. As a regular guest who tends to get to know the staff, the staff tends to treat you and do special things for you. Prior to purchasing my place here in Vail, CO I used to stay at the Vail Marriott up to 50 nights a year. It has been 2 years since my last stay there, but I still get greeted by name when I walk into the hotel. Since it is a resort there is no lounge, but little surprises like a birthday card on my birthday, extra Plat arrival gifts like plates of fruit, etc., bringing me a cup of coffee when I was sitting in the lobby. Same service level happened at LAX Ren and SYD Harbour Marriott lounges where I have stayed frequently in the past and knew the staff well. Getting to know the staff is the key.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
So which Hotel was it that was giving this kind of VIP service ?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
I have seen this in Shanghai.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Good to see loyalty to a specific hotel acknowledged and rewarded kindly. Which hotel was it?

Of course, we are just assuming that this is the case, and that this isn't a VIP-type.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
From 2003-2006 I stayed at the FS Marriott in San Ramon, CA about 125 nights each year as I commuted between home (Phoenix) and there for work.

The staff (especially in the CL) went above and beyond with service and I was a recognized person by almost all of them. Not surprised to hear of something similar if they are frequent guests.

After I took a new job and stopped staying at the hotel the GM actually called me after about a month to inquire if they had done something to lose my business. Felt bad I never let them know and was very appreciative he cared.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

The hotel was Marriott Istanbul Asia.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Could also be the owners of the property.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Could also be the owners of the property.
They did not say hello to any other guests. You would think that owners would be engaged with the business. I highly doubt they are owners but I am just speculating. It is always fun to come up with theories. Perhaps they are really good tippers.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I know that Cologne Marriott has this service. I was offered it once and I denied it because it's the very last thing I ever wanted.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
+1

Originally Posted by aaupgrade

More likely they are Plats or PP who are regular guests at this hotel. As a regular guest who tends to get to know the staff, the staff tends to treat you and do special things for you..... Getting to know the staff is the key.
So true !
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:24 pm

VIP service at Marriott?

I have never had that kind of service but when I was working on a project for a few months. I was there m-f for three months and both the front desk and lounge staff new me on a first name basis when I walked in.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by hm212
I have never had that kind of service but when I was working on a project for a few months. I was there m-f for three months and both the front desk and lounge staff new me on a first name basis when I walked in.
I have seen this at the Panama Marriott, there is a gentleman there (who must live at the hotel as I always see him there) who on his Birthday the CL staff had a Birthday cake waiting for him along with a card signed by the entire CL staff.

They also have his favorite Beverage choice ready for him and other little touches that make a hotel feel more like a home.

Dan
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Pune Marriott treats the husband this way. He always gets the same suite. They know how he likes his tea in the lounge and bring it to him without being asked. He keeps telling me I should come with him to experience this awesome service. Um.....no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.