Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Guanacaste, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Songer5
crparadise.com is a good company to arrange transport to/from hotel, as well as tours. Hat tip to VickiSoCal (12/12/20 Update: I just called the number on their website and the phone number is disconnected. I used https://liberiaairportshuttle.com/ instead and was very happy with their communication/service/professionalism.)

Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Guanacaste, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Any updates on this property? Platinum benefits, etc? Nearby restaurants?
Let you know. I'm going to be there later this month.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Let you know. I'm going to be there later this month.
Cool - would appreciate an updated trip report.

Cheers.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:19 am

Got back last week and had a wonderful time. We went on points and were upgraded to an ocean view room from garden view.

The resort is beautiful and the service is outstanding. Kudos to the manager and his entire staff.

Food is good. There are only 3 restaurants on site. The food is no more expensive than other Caribbean resorts. As a matter of fact I found the prices a little less as they already include taxes and service charge. The $16 Marriott burger is really $16. In Aruba and St Kitts you have to tack on the taxes and service charge. The restaurants will accommodate any special needs or diets.

There is Lola's and the beach club a short walk down the beach.
Be forewarned that you have to cross a section of volcanic rocks first which would make it difficult for young children or unsteady adults. I found it a nice change but no less expensive or better food. There is no additional charge for room service. We enjoyed breakfast on our balcony daily.

The pool was great. There were plenty of chairs and umbrellas. The staff would come and adjust your umbrella according to the movement of the sun. The chairs had cushions with clean fitted covers and pillows. Unlike Aruba, you don't have to get down at 7:00 am to get seats.

The resort is isolated. If you want to explore I would suggest you rent a car for the week. Renting a car at the airport was only a little more than the round trip cab fare which cost me $170. Our driven stopped at the supermarket so we could pick up soda, fruit and snacks. The hotel is 1 hour and 15 minutes from LIR airport. The resort is very quiet. It is a very relaxing, stress free vacation. The spa was nice. I had a fabulous 60 minute coffee scrub/massage.
It was well worth the $90!

We would go back. The people are wonderful. They made you feel like valued welcome guests.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:59 pm

Thanks for the update - much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Review of JW Marriott Guanacaste, Costa Rica

Has anyone rented a car at SJO and driven to this property? Is it an easy drive for a first-time visitor from the States? How long is the drive on a Saturday?

What upgrade do they offer to platinum members (e.g. from garden room)?
Old May 15, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ktjan
Has anyone rented a car at SJO and driven to this property? Is it an easy drive for a first-time visitor from the States? How long is the drive on a Saturday?

It's about an hours drive, very easy. As a Plat you should get at least an ocean/pool view room.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It's about an hours drive, very easy. As a Plat you should get at least an ocean/pool view room.
LIR is about 1-1 hour 15 minutes away. I was upgraded to an ocean view. We had a nice relaxing vacation and would return.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:45 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by ktjan

Ignore the posts above. They are taking about LIR.
SJO is almost 4 hours away.

Not an easy drive if you are not used to the area.
Not sure about city, but roads are usually busy most days.
Not lots of traffic but buses and trucks tend to use whatever part of the road is best, so there are some fun adventures around bends and hills.
We bought map from NavSat and used in our GPS, makes things a little easier.

I would definitely try and fly into LIR, as it is an easy trip, less than an hour.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:53 pm

I wanted to give my input - we absolutely loved this hotel.

We stayed on points in April 2013.

Flew into Liberia and rented a car.

The hotel is very remote, and the food and drinks are standard Marriott resort prices. Nothing more expensive than I've seen in Hawaii or at Vail at Marriott resorts.

We had a nice pool (distant ocean) view room.

Every morning we got a prime beach chair and the staff was wonderful. We usually ordered breakfast at the hotel via room service and enjoyed it on our balcony. Spent the day at the pool relaxing, ordered some drinks from the waitstaff but we also stopped at grocery stores with our rental car and picked up beer. There was a fridge in our room.

Every night we got ready and drove to Tamarindo (20-25 mins) to watch the sunset and have dinner. Loved all the beach front restaurants and food. Very affordable and relaxing.

I would not recommend this hotel unless you rent a car, as it is remote.

Very close to the Liberia hotel and the grounds, staff, rooms, and pool were beautiful.

The pool is an infinity pool overlooking the ocean and the view cannot be beat!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:00 pm
PaJ

I just returned from the JWM. We arrived on Sunday and left on Friday. I've intentionally not reread the reviews so as not to bias my thoughts.

1. It is remote. I recommend renting a car. It was about a 20 minute drive to Tamarindo, but for most of the excursions we had rides from the hotel. It was nice having a car to get to other places.

2. The roads from Liberia to the hotel were mostly fine. Part of the roads after the turnoff to the JWM had pot holes, but after a time or two I was dodging them like a local. The cool thing is we saw iguanas and monkeys on the road to the JWM.

3. I thought the service at the JWM was better than other places in Costa Rica. It wasn't the USA, but it was above par for what I've experienced in Mexico, Panama or Peru.

4. The restaurants were good - not great. The breakfast buffet was a disappointment. For $30 per head, we tried it to get some local fare, but ended up only doing it one day. Every other day we ordered off the menu. We were traveling with two 18 year old boys who liked the steakhouse and compared it to any 4 star steakhouse in the Houston.

5. The drinks were expensive (typical for a resort - $9-12 each) but weak. We bought liquor and mixers on the way into town, so saved some $$ here.

6. We had an ocean view room on the first floor (#120). It was nice because we weren't going up and down, but the view would have been better on a higher floor. Also, when we went out our patio door we were about 30 yards from the beach and loungers, which was nice. We enjoyed our 'in room' drinks while on the beach.

7. The beach has rocks. Big rocks in the water (lava flow) and quite a few on the beach. It was OK to walk on the beach with no shoes but not really suitable for swimming. With the pool there, you don't need to.

8. Infinity pool -awesome!

9. Menu got old. For dinner there is a good selection but breakfast and lunch was a little thin.

10. Excursions: Zip lining was OK but not what I expected. ATV tour rocked. Sunset Tour was great - very relaxing but didn't see much.

We didn't use the spa. It looked like a spa. We did (my wife and I) go to a spa called Los Altos de Eros. It was amazing. 23 acres on top of a mountain (you need a car - it is really remote) but the most amazing spa experience ever. Couples massage in the jungle. Jacuzzi in the same setting. Then chef prepared dinner just for us. Words cannot describe.

Other than points and an upgrade to ocean view room, I didn't feel like Platinum bought me much.

I would happily stay there again. We stayed on points this time. But a friend rented a villa in Tamarindo (just happened to be there the same week we were) and loved being in town.

Bottom line: great experience.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:14 am

Thanks for the review! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:11 pm

Resort Fee

I have a points stay reserved in March. Anyone know if there's a resort fee at at the JWM?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by avatexrs
I have a points stay reserved in March. Anyone know if there's a resort fee at at the JWM?
It's been almost 2 years since I've been, but there was no resort fee then. We really enjoyed our stay. Service was terrific. Very relaxing. We enjoyed breakfast on our balcony every morning as no extra service charge for room service! Saving up our points for a trip back.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:13 pm

I stayed here last March, and headed back the first week in February on points. My wife and I loved it the first time we went, we had a vehicle which I think is crucial, a lot of the negative reviews I've read have been based on the remoteness and lack of activities, but there's plenty to do if you have a car. If you are worried about driving, the roads are fine particularly in the dry season.

I surfed down near Lola's every morning, and we ate there some as well as Beach Box which is very good for breakfast/lunch. We also loved Sabanero's on site, and found it reasonably priced.

There's no additional resort charges that I know of if staying on points. Far as upgrade, we were in a standard room I believe last time, any luck getting upgraded to oceanfront on a points stay in high season? Would it help to e-mail the hotel?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does JWM compare to Andaz? (family travel prospective is most useful)

Normally i would go for Andaz but i have travel package cert which i can perhaps upgrade to use at JWM - with a car we should be able to find enough to do for 6-7 days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.