Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Post great vacation hotels worth saving certificates for. Include the State/Country and category and reason.

Canada

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount Category 4
Located right outside the busy downtown but a quick walk or train ride away. Right near shopping center.

Malaysia:

JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur Category 4
Great value for a JW, in the heart of the city and excellent service

Phu Quoc, Vietnam:

JW Phu Quoc - Cat 5 - beautiful beachfront resort with rates from $350-$650 ++/night

Bangkok, Thailand:

Three of the full service Marriott properties are Cat 5. All three have central locations and reputation for good elite recognition:

Renaissance Ratchaprasong
Marriott Suk 57
Marriott Marquis

USA
Florida:

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East Category 5
One of the closest hotels to the beach that is available for cert use and has a free shuttle to take you to the beach

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles:
Renaissance, DT Willemstad. Category 5.
On an ocean harbor, not a swimmable beach, but in the center of the action for nightlife, also for NYE, Mardi Gras, etc. festivities.

Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles:
Courtyard, Category 4!
Brand-new hotel. 5--10 minute walk inland from the ocean beach. It's the only major chain hotel on that island, so all other hotels are available only by paying real money.

Quito, Ecuador
JW Marriott, Category 5

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Renaissance São Paulo, Cat.5 Very good location,excellent quality of service,pre-confirmed suite upgrades,executive lounge F&B.
Print Wikipost

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by RedElmo
But lyft and uberX can't pick up passengers at the terminal. You have to walk out if LGB to higer the low fair ride shares. I've tried.
And this was my first time landing at LGB so I had no idea how the close the hotel was to the airport. Had I known, I would have just hopped in a cab.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I used a Cat-5 cert recently at the Fairfield Inn Ukiah, California. It's a Cat-4 property. The AAA rate was around $150/night when I booked a few weeks in advance and was in line with local competition. $150 seems like a good value for these certs nowadays.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Actually wished I had another cert recently.

Initially used one at the Residence Inn Annapolis, Category 4 and many weekend rates were well over $200. Typical RI but I got a nice upgrade to a 2 bedroom after initially calling the property to ask for a Pack N Play and inquiring about upgrade chances.

Then I was traveling from NJ to NC and around 11:30 PM realized we probably couldn't make it all the way, so thought a Fairfield Inn off the highway wouldn't be too many points.

Ended up staying at the Fairfield Inn Elkin/Jonesville NC. Cat 5 which I thought was a bit high but at least there are a few attractions around. It was a nice newer hotel with good service and they had probably the best decorations in the lobby of probably any Marriott property I've stayed in.

My initial choice was the FI Wytheville VA which was a Cat 4 (but they didn't have a Pack N Play available). I've actually stayed there before, and it's a typical FI, not one of the newer ones but not one of the older ones either. But it's basically the definition of a roadside hotel off the highway with not much nearby, and it's still a Cat 4? I guess Va Tech is in the vicinity but still 50 miles away. It that is a Cat 4, it makes me wonder how it's even possible to be a Cat 1-3...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Marriott Calgary YYC airport in terminal hotel

Arrived late in Calgary. Was told roads were icy and a mess. Noticed the new Marriott signs at the airport. It had been open a month! Online cost CAD$254 plus tax. For us it was a great use of CAT 5 cert! Had dinner in the hotel restaurant - decent Asian fusion. Picked up the rental car next morning - easy 2 hour drive to our friends place.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by lainys
Arrived late in Calgary. Was told roads were icy and a mess. Noticed the new Marriott signs at the airport. It had been open a month! Online cost CAD$254 plus tax. For us it was a great use of CAT 5 cert! Had dinner in the hotel restaurant - decent Asian fusion. Picked up the rental car next morning - easy 2 hour drive to our friends place.
Great use for those certificates. One reason why I find them so useful.

Was so happy they brought them back with the spring mega but unfortunately short lived when the fall mega came out.

Count me as one those big fans for these certificates.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Used cert on a night in Victoria Falls Protea - was coming in at USD 250 although it is only a category 1. We're using points for rest of Namibia and Joberg airport Proteas as all quite pricy and 7500 points is coming in at good value.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Using one in Johannesburg at African Pride. It's a cat. 5. Revenue price was $300.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
Atlanta Marriott Marquis in downtown. Cat. 5.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Courtyard Oakland Airport, Cat. 5. the weekend I'm using it rates are around $200
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Was originally going to use at CY LGW as noted upthread. However, was able to put it to better use at the CY Charlotte City Center in December when I head there for a Panthers game.

A solid redemption given the refundable revenue rate is $316 and it's walking distance to BofA Stadium for the game.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
When does the annual cert post? I got the email saying congratulations but its been a week and still no cert.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I confess to never having used a single one of these in my life. They always just expire.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I confess to never having used a single one of these in my life. They always just expire.
I have found uses in the past, but not this year.

So I had one expiring next week. I messaged Marriott today via the website - contact us - email and asked if it could be extended. Two hours later, my old cert was cancelled and they had issued a new one expiring a year from today. ^
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The Caribbean island of Bonaire, next to Aruba & Curacao, has a brand-new Courtyard hotel, which is Cat. 4 --Cat. 3 since Spring 2017! Also, the Renaissance of Curacao is Cat. 5 --Cat. 6 since Spring 2017.

Last edited by Brendan; Aug 4, 2017 at 7:10 am Reason: Category changes.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by swag
I have found uses in the past, but not this year.

So I had one expiring next week. I messaged Marriott today via the website - contact us - email and asked if it could be extended. Two hours later, my old cert was cancelled and they had issued a new one expiring a year from today. ^
Wow, that's good to know! Thanks a bunch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.