Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Post great vacation hotels worth saving certificates for. Include the State/Country and category and reason.

Canada

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount Category 4
Located right outside the busy downtown but a quick walk or train ride away. Right near shopping center.

Malaysia:

JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur Category 4
Great value for a JW, in the heart of the city and excellent service

Phu Quoc, Vietnam:

JW Phu Quoc - Cat 5 - beautiful beachfront resort with rates from $350-$650 ++/night

Bangkok, Thailand:

Three of the full service Marriott properties are Cat 5. All three have central locations and reputation for good elite recognition:

Renaissance Ratchaprasong
Marriott Suk 57
Marriott Marquis

USA
Florida:

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East Category 5
One of the closest hotels to the beach that is available for cert use and has a free shuttle to take you to the beach

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles:
Renaissance, DT Willemstad. Category 5.
On an ocean harbor, not a swimmable beach, but in the center of the action for nightlife, also for NYE, Mardi Gras, etc. festivities.

Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles:
Courtyard, Category 4!
Brand-new hotel. 5--10 minute walk inland from the ocean beach. It's the only major chain hotel on that island, so all other hotels are available only by paying real money.

Quito, Ecuador
JW Marriott, Category 5

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Renaissance São Paulo, Cat.5 Very good location,excellent quality of service,pre-confirmed suite upgrades,executive lounge F&B.
Print Wikipost

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
It's tough to find a good category 5 hotel in California's metro areas (SF, LA and SD). One that I like is the FS Marriott in Woodland Hills at the western end of LA's San Fernando Valley. Weekday rates start around $270 per night and and weekends start around $160. They have a new M Lounge that's open 24/7, so it's an extra nice deal for Golds and Plats. There's nice indoor and outdoor pools. The Santa Monica Mountains and Malibu coast are nearby. There is also plenty of street parking so you can skip the parking fee.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by webersd
It's tough to find a good category 5 hotel in California's metro areas (SF, LA and SD). One that I like is the FS Marriott in Woodland Hills at the western end of LA's San Fernando Valley. Weekday rates start around $270 per night and and weekends start around $160. They have a new M Lounge that's open 24/7, so it's an extra nice deal for Golds and Plats. There's nice indoor and outdoor pools. The Santa Monica Mountains and Malibu coast are nearby. There is also plenty of street parking so you can skip the parking fee.
Nice while it lasted. This hotel got bumped to a category 6 with the latest points devaluation
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by webersd
Nice while it lasted. This hotel got bumped to a category 6 with the latest points devaluation
I squeezed in under the wire this past weekend with a Cat 5 certificate at the Woodland Hills Marriott. It was a nice place in some respects, though they gave me what seemed like the smallest available room as a guest staying on points.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:59 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
If I were to use one in NA it would be hard. I used my most recent one at the JW Marriott in Beijing.

I get another one in July...I'll probably use it in Asia in either October or December, most likely at a JW Marriott.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:47 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
This is the first year I have a certificate and I'm thinking about applying it to one night of a 3 night stay in a couple months. Can I book the 3 nights online and then call and ask them to apply the cert to one of those nights? Or do I need to make a 2 separate 2-night and 1-night reservations?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ryw
This is the first year I have a certificate and I'm thinking about applying it to one night of a 3 night stay in a couple months. Can I book the 3 nights online and then call and ask them to apply the cert to one of those nights? Or do I need to make a 2 separate 2-night and 1-night reservations?
Book it as two separate reservations. When you arrive at the hotel, explain that you have two reservations and ask to combine them into one stay in the same room. I've done this at least a dozen times and only ever had a problem once-- caused by a foolish employee who didn't know how to handle it and refused to ask a colleague or supervisor for help. If you're worried you could call the hotel 1-2 days ahead of your arrival to make sure it'll work smoothly.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:52 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Book it as two separate reservations. When you arrive at the hotel, explain that you have two reservations and ask to combine them into one stay in the same room. I've done this at least a dozen times and only ever had a problem once-- caused by a foolish employee who didn't know how to handle it and refused to ask a colleague or supervisor for help. If you're worried you could call the hotel 1-2 days ahead of your arrival to make sure it'll work smoothly.
Wonderful, thank you for the advice!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Using mine at the CY Amsterdam Airport. Got a discounted fare ticket to AMS so this really helps bring down the cost of an unexpected week long trip to the Netherlands.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by ryw
if you are using points for the other half, it can be done together online.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:23 am

The Algonquin Resort St Andrews (Autograph Collection) is a Cat 5. Beautiful seaside hotel in southwest New Brunswick. Lots of availability in the summer. Though at $265 Canadian for a weekend summer rate converted to USD, some may find the cash rates relatively cheap. Not me.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
The Algonquin Resort St Andrews (Autograph Collection) is a Cat 5. Beautiful seaside hotel in southwest New Brunswick. Lots of availability in the summer. Though at $265 Canadian for a weekend summer rate converted to USD, some may find the cash rates relatively cheap. Not me.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/
how do you normally get there? Isn't it far from all the airports?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Would gold get any benefit with Autograph Collection (e.g. The Algonquin Resort St Andrews)?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Will use my Cat 5 at the new Marriott Marquis Bangkok on a quick overnight!

Originally Posted by milemission
Would gold get any benefit with Autograph Collection (e.g. The Algonquin Resort St Andrews)?
Yes. Full benefits. It's the AC hotels that provide virtually nothing to elites.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Will use my Cat 5 at the new Marriott Marquis Bangkok on a quick overnight!

Yes. Full benefits. It's the AC hotels that provide virtually nothing to elites.
Be careful - resorts are not required to give most elite benefits to guests.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Be careful - resorts are not required to give most elite benefits to guests.
You're right, I didn't catch the "Resort" part. No breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.