Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Explosions at Jakarta JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton Reported

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold

Australian TV just started reporting this... Just saw a wire report...

Several witnesses told Dow Jones Newswires that at least three explosions were heard around the Mega Kuningan business area where the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton hotels and some foreign embassies are located.

"I heard at least three explosions and now white smoke is billowing," a fund manager at a foreign securities company told Dow Jones Newswires on the phone.

It remains unclear what caused the explosions.

Another witness said that some of the buildings in the area are being evacuated.
http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-mar...rict-witnesses
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:36 pm
Suspended

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...hYbpwD99FT47O0
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:55 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

terrible news...
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Pictures from the scene...

http://twitpic.com/alkfa

http://twitpic.com/almje
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least four dead. Attributed to jemaah islamiyah.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31952788...s-asiapacific/
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Anderson Cooper has live footage from the scene on CNN Int and Domestic with a CNN Producer on the phone from the scene.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G

I stayed at the JW a month before the last bombing. It is a stunning hotel. It really stands out from a distance.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Only speaking for myself .. but, this is why I refrain from going to some places that I really would like to visit.

This may also be linked to the recent democratic elections over there where the ruling party apparently won by a landslide.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:28 pm

Wow someone/some group really hates Marriott.

Isn't this the second Marriott that has been bombed within the last 12 months? I believe the other happened in India.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by imverge
Wow someone/some group really hates Marriott.

Isn't this the second Marriott that has been bombed within the last 12 months? I believe the other happened in India.
Pakistan. Unfotunately, Marriott represents for better or worse America, and the usual suspects appear to be behind this one, as well.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Updating Pics..

http://picbrk.com/search/q/Ritz_Carlton
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
The CNN report so far: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ion/index.html
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I am waiting to hear from my friend who lives on the 35th floor of the ritz in an apartment

updated my buddy is ok.

Last edited by MNAudiS4; Jul 16, 2009 at 9:56 pm
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
ugh I was just flipping through the channels and can across CNN...sad sad day for MI, years ago I knew a few members of the RZ's Executive Cmte....unfortunately as stated before MI represents America and with diplomatic offices located in/nearby it was a prime target (just checked my email, nothing yet )

here is the release

Statement Related to Jakarta Explosion
Posted: July 16, 2009 11:18:15 PM

At approximately 7:48 a.m. local time, explosions occurred at the J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton Hotels in Jakarta, Indonesia. Police responded immediately and sealed off the area. Guests at both hotels have been evacuated. The guests have been moved to a secure location. We are monitoring the situation and are working closely with the authorities. Our deepest sympathies go out to the victims and their families.

As always, the safety and security of our guests and associates is a high priority.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Pakistan. Unfotunately, Marriott represents for better or worse America, and the usual suspects appear to be behind this one, as well.
I doubt that it's fully because it represents America. I think some of it has to do with the fact that the Marriott's are often located in the financial districts & cater to a more upscale clientele, including dignitaries & foreign journalists & government travelers.

When I was in Bucharest, I felt that the JW Marriott was probably the second nicest building in the country, second to the Parliament. If other brands had as many high end business travel & government travel foreigner clientele, they'd be as much of a target. Marriott just happens to be more successful at it internationally.

A unfortunate incident - I guess the folks doing the bombings don't fully appreciate the fact that their own countrymen are often the ones dying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.