Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa (Dana Point, CA) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2001, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

I am staying at the Laguna Cliffs Resort in Dana Point - Has anyone stayed there before? Can you tell me how it compares to other Marriott's?

I used most of my award points up last year for a reward but a few months I applied for a Marriott Visa and got 10,000 points. I then switched my AT&T account to Marriott as well. In no time, I had 19,000 points. I called customer service today and asked if I could buy 1,000 points for $10 and get a voucher for a one night stay under the 706 plan. She said yes but I should make my reservations first because the hotel I wanted to stay at was a Choice hotel and very popular. I then called the Marriott Laguna Cliffs Resort and made reservations for Labor Day weekend and said I was using the 706 old award. The lady there said she did not think I could use the 706 award and I told her I just talked to marriottrewards and they said I could. I then went onto another board and looked up what people were paying for Marriott Laguna Cliffs on priceline. The cheapest price I saw was $59 so I put in a priceline bid of $59 for the second night and I got it! Whoopee! The cheapest rate I could get going through marriott online was $249.00. So with buying 1,000 points and using the old reward system and going through priceline I got two nights for under $100.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 11:58 am
pjs

Spent 5 nights there on an award stay about 3 years ago. We enjoyed the resort. There is no concierge lounge, but we had no problem getting a complementary continental breakfast every day at their buffet. The rooms were OK; their best feature is that all face the ocean. I think we ate lunch at the restaurant by the pool one day and it was pretty good. Enjoy your stay!
Old Jan 14, 2002, 10:18 pm

Any update on this resort? Are the rooms really just OK? I'm thinking about a birthday trip to a southern Cal. coastal resort and I'm looking for more than just OK rooms.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Nothing special about the rooms. The location is what's nice!

Bruce
Old Jan 15, 2002, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Rooms are typical Marriott.

Be sure to eat at the Harbor Grill in the harbor shopping/restaurant/tourist area across the street. Good food, reasonable.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
CLD, LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.
Old Jan 17, 2002, 1:51 pm

The rooms at this property received complete renovations last year. They spent something like $8M on the rooms alone, and the interior corridors also were upgraded. I remember seeing a photo of a renovated room on the OAG Frequent Flyer website about a year ago and it looked beautiful.

I stayed there once, in November '00, and had a room at the end of the hall on the top floor. Vaulted ceilings and windows which you could crank open. Most rooms have balconies, but not ours because of its location at the end and on the top floor. View from there was incredible, as the hotel sits on a bluff overlooking the ocean. Nothing in the way. Nice marina with quaint restaurants and shops right down the hill and across the street. And of course the heart of Laguna is right down the road.

AtlMan
Old Jan 17, 2002, 2:11 pm

I just found this review, which confirms AltMan's post.
http://www.sandiego-online.com/issue...weekend7.shtml . I was prepared to scratch this hotel off my list based on the posts here. Now I think I will book a stay there.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 01-17-2002).]
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:24 am

reviews of Laguna Cliffs at Dana Point

We're looking to stay in Dana Point for a wedding over Labor Day weekend 2004. I'm trying to decide whether to stay at the Ritz (where the wedding will be), the Laguna Cliffs resort, or at the St. Regis. Also trying to decide whether to use points or not. Reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks,
AUSTraveler
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I have only stayed at the Laguna Cliffs once. Even as Platinum, I was given one of the worst rooms (no view of any sort and in fact just a tiny window). I tried to argue but they came back with the "you booked a really low rate". Since it was very late at night and I was there for only one night, I sucked it up as I did not want to go hotel hopping. Maybe the hotel was sold-out then... I don't know. Anyway, it is a nice property from what I saw of it on my way to and from the room. Didn't really eat there or even walk around. It was a business trip and I was just in late and out early the next morning.

Hands down, St. Regis is a better property. I have never been to the Ritz.

[This message has been edited by zakami (edited Mar 11, 2004).]
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott:Plat Hilton:Diamond Starwood:Gold DL:Gold WN: Comp Pass
I don't know about the other properties, but my wife and I stayed at Dana Point Marriott right on the ocean about 18 months ago as a Platinum using points. We got a great view room w/balcony (they all have balconys) of the Pacific,received " cont. bfst. coupons (no conc. lounge here) good either in restaurant or romm svc. We did the room service all mornings which was "humongeous" all three days! Staff and property are tops! The location is about 2 miles so. of the Ritz if I remember; we visited the lobby on this trip...typical over the top Ritz elegance.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott:Plat Hilton:Diamond Starwood:Gold DL:Gold WN: Comp Pass
Obviously I was wrong about balconies as noted by zakami's reply but thats what we had as the hotel is in somewhat of a "V" form with most of the rooms facing the ocean.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The last time I stayed there was in 1999, as I recall. I liked the location very much and got a nice enough room. No breakfast coupons, however! (We ate off the property.)

Bruce
Old Mar 11, 2004, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of Platinums and upgrades (or lack thereof), and even Priceline at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort...Last year there was a thread in the United Airlines forum about how sometimes human nature and just a good attitude and friendly smile can out-upgrade elites. The example I gave at that time was the following:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">One time when we stayed at a top-of-the-line Marriott beach resort property, meeting friends who were top-level elites in Marriott's program staying at the same property...I mooched a much better upgrade than any of them got and I wasn't elite at all [at that time] and was on a Priceline booking!! I simply asked the front desk clerk in a very friendly, almost humorous manner:

"Hey look. I know I'm a nobody with your program and I'm on a Priceline stay, but many years ago I did a lot of business with Marriott (which was true). I know I'm certainly not entitled to expect anything other than what we got through Priceline, but any chance you might be able to fudge an upgrade of some sort for us? Maybe for 'old times' sake?"

She went in the back for a few minutes and then issued our keys.

You should have seen our Suite. Made the other Marriott elites green with envy! Out of deference to the management, I did not mention to these folks that I wasn't elite at all.

I've mentioned this before in other threads for consideration: Often these low-paid agents and clerks can relate more to the "have nots" than the "haves." And when combined with the proper "presentation" can sometimes respond with wonderful acts of kindness. Especially in those cases when it is indeed up to their discretion.

Just something to keep in mind for possible strategies and presentational "attitudes."</font>
This did occur at the Marriott Laguna Cliffs. An extremely nice property IMHO, and I can't imagine you being disappointed in the property facilities. But the St. Regis is just soooo much better. It's a whole other level of class in luxury and service, IMHO.

Have never stayed or visited The Ritz, so can't compare that one to anything. But the event itself being held at The Ritz...that would be a major convenience to overcome, if it were me. There's something about just being able to stroll back to your room at anytime before, during and after the event, that's a tough act to follow.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The Ritz is a great facility. As long as the event is at the hotel I would reccomend without equivocation that you stay there.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:48 pm

Last year we stayed at both St. Regis and Ritz. We like St. Regis over Ritz for better room, better service, wonderful spa, and better food. With the exception of Ocean view room at Ritz, we were disappointed with Ritz - their afternoon tea was below average (compared to other Ritz) and room could use some renovation. So our vote is definitely to St. Regis. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.