Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe Sampler

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
MC I will appreciate your comments. Thank you.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:02 pm

3 days and still no response from The Marriott Concierge.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
I'm in a similar situation to the OP, especially considering the new "downgrade". I have about a million points, so I'd think that I would be able to at least get away for a week to a few hotels next year. Also, being Plat, there is no fee for canceling the cert, right? This wasn't changed with the rest of the rules?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
First of all you don't need hotel reservations now in order to cash in a Hotel Sampler award. They are paper certificates.

Secondly, there are 3 hotels exempt from Marriott Rewards award availability requirements including Rome Grand Flora and Capri JW Marriott. You can find more about this on marriott.com at item number 13 under Hotel Rewards at this link: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/usetrms.mi#hotel - they will also be exempt from the new availability requirements.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Does anyone know whether this sampler (3+2+2 nights) has to be used on consecutive nights? Or can you have a 3 night Marriott stay in one place, stay with friends for a couple of nights, have a 2 night Marriott stay, etc.

Sorry if this has been covered before - I couldn't find the info with a search.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ussie44
Does anyone know whether this sampler (3+2+2 nights) has to be used on consecutive nights? Or can you have a 3 night Marriott stay in one place, stay with friends for a couple of nights, have a 2 night Marriott stay, etc.

Sorry if this has been covered before - I couldn't find the info with a search.
It can be used however you want to. The intended purpose was to be able to use it in different European cities.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craz
It can be used however you want to. The intended purpose was to be able to use it in different European cities.
Agreed. Just think of this as 3 separate awards. I also combined my use with a paid stay at one of the same hotels since the $ cost happened to be low enough a couple of nights that it made sense to use free nights at another property.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:23 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by frisbeeace
I agree that the European Sampler is an excellent choice provided that you find availability at some of the most demanded cat.7 hotels. So far, I can't find any at Rome or Capri for my dates.

1. Should I order the Sampler Package anyway assuming that availability will open after Jan.15th?
2. If one of those hotels currently offers Stay Anytime awards, can I book it assuming that such room should be available as Standard Reward after Jan.15th and my certificate will cover it?
3. I also understand that if I return all three certificates I have a full refund of my points, so there is no risk to give this a try, am I right?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Someone pointed out to me this morning that I had overlooked this thread even though it specifically asked for my attention. I apologize, and here is my response:

1. Yes, this is a good plan. All hotels will have more rooms available on the 15th of January for reward redemption. Aaupgrade correctly identified which hotels will be not participating in the new no blackout date policy. Yet even though these are not participating in the new no blackout dates policy, they will open many more rooms for reward redemption than they ever have in the past.
2. You can do this. The key is to make sure you book a standard room. And then give guest services a call as soon the change takes place. Send me a personal message if you run into a problem. If you are planning to stay at one of the hotels mentioned by aaupgrade this may not work.
3. If you return all three portions of the certificate you will get a full refund on you points.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:21 am

Mr. Concierge, would it behoove those of us hoping to stay in the Capri and Rome Flora Marriotts to call on, or very shortly after, Jan. 15? In other words, are those rooms first come, first served -- and therefore a call on Jan. 15 might be the first to scoop them up?

Many thanks.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
Thanks, MC!

Another question. On the Marriott website, depending on how I try to find information, there are two different rewards - European Sampler (14EH) and UK/Ireland Sampler (564). Both cost the same 150,000. I am assuming that it would be better as an Elite to order the European Sampler, as that would also allow stays in UK/Ireland?

thanks again for the reply!

EDIT: Also, how far is Europe? Does Russia count for a European Sampler?

Last edited by TravelingJoel; Dec 26, 2008 at 11:41 am
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TravelingJoel
Thanks, MC!

Another question. On the Marriott website, depending on how I try to find information, there are two different rewards - European Sampler (14EH) and UK/Ireland Sampler (564). Both cost the same 150,000. I am assuming that it would be better as an Elite to order the European Sampler, as that would also allow stays in UK/Ireland?
YES

Originally Posted by TravelingJoel
EDIT: Also, how far is Europe? Does Russia count for a European Sampler?
NO. Anyway, you'd better spend those certificates at cat. 7 or 8 hotels while in Russia they are cat. 4 or 5.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: MAR TE ... UA PS
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
It probably would be best to book this without delay.
Awards for next year are going to be scarce as many loyal Marriott(and soon to be ex Marriott customers)are rushing to book awards before the axe falls on Jan.15th 2009
Imagine how busy those phone lines will be during that last week?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:54 pm

My husband and I currently have a 7 night stay booked at the Vendome in May. He lost his job in Sept and we might not be able to make the trip until later in the year. If I understand correctly, we won't be able to change the hotel dates on our reservation after Jan 15, so for the sake of flexibility, we're better off cancelling that reservation and requesting a Europe Sampler(?)

I know we may not get the hotel we want, but at least our points won't lose value as long as we use the sampler this year. I hadn't heard of this award before, but know it's an elite award. Am I missing any angle on this?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:11 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by babbkent
Mr. Concierge, would it behoove those of us hoping to stay in the Capri and Rome Flora Marriotts to call on, or very shortly after, Jan. 15? In other words, are those rooms first come, first served -- and therefore a call on Jan. 15 might be the first to scoop them up?

Many thanks.
Availability will be first come first serve, however also keep in mind that sometimes more rooms open later on, either because of cancellations or because the hotel opens more rooms.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:51 am

Got in under the wire!

Looking forward to some travel in mid-September, and this should help reduce the cash-flow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.