Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I have lifetime nights=287 and only 5,098 lifetime points, presumably because i've enabled the immediate transfer to united miles. does this mean i can not obtain lifetime status? or is here a way to get my lifetime points recalculated?
Nope... what is done is done. I would immediately switch over and receive MR points for your stays... those points are far more valuable than taking the loss on immediate conversion to UA miles. As I have stated in other threads, purchase travel packages with those points that give you 7 night stays + 132,000 UA miles... you can do this for 270,000 MR points... best deal out there.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I have lifetime nights=287 and only 5,098 lifetime points, presumably because i've enabled the immediate transfer to united miles. does this mean i can not obtain lifetime status? or is here a way to get my lifetime points recalculated?
It's unknown. It's quite possible that the method of calculating lifetime status might change completely once the merged program is announced. That's because Marriott Rewards is merging with SPG, and SPG never used lifetime points.

But it's too early to know for sure. So you can either hope that a way to earn elite status will emerge without using lifetime points, or you can just start earning points (and then transferring to United) from now on. At 287, you've still got a lot of nights to go before you'll have enough nights (in the current calculation method) for even lifetime Gold, even assuming there was no points requirement. So while what you did in the past cannot be recalculated, you may be able to "catch up" or it may not matter by a year from now.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's unknown. It's quite possible that the method of calculating lifetime status might change completely once the merged program is announced. That's because Marriott Rewards is merging with SPG, and SPG never used lifetime points.

But it's too early to know for sure. So you can either hope that a way to earn elite status will emerge without using lifetime points, or you can just start earning points (and then transferring to United) from now on. At 287, you've still got a lot of nights to go before you'll have enough nights (in the current calculation method) for even lifetime Gold, even assuming there was no points requirement. So while what you did in the past cannot be recalculated, you may be able to "catch up" or it may not matter by a year from now.
Thanks to both of you. I've changed as suggested. Better late than never I suppose!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I agree with sdsearch, by the time you get to 750, if you switched now, I bet you would meet the minimum point level.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
I agree with sdsearch, by the time you get to 750, if you switched now, I bet you would meet the minimum point level.
In some cases, it depends on how you're hitting your nights. I get 30 nights a year from the two Chase co-branded credit cards, so my night accrual significantly outpaces my point accrual. Plus there's the weird double counting of carryover nights in some cases, without any corresponding point increase.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by sdsearch

I remember seeing concern where members were trying to hit LTP by 12.31.17. With seemingly no new announcements out about the program merging and possible new rules, I'm guessing that 12.31.17 is probably not an important date anymore. If not, I will reach LTP on 1.1.18 with rollover nights triggering the status.

AlanInDC, it's certainly not to late to switch. Since ditching Hilton, I will go from LTSilver achieved in April 2017, to LTP in 8 months.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:41 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbw5t
In some cases, it depends on how you're hitting your nights. I get 30 nights a year from the two Chase co-branded credit cards, so my night accrual significantly outpaces my point accrual. Plus there's the weird double counting of carryover nights in some cases, without any corresponding point increase.
Yep, this. I'm at about 760 nights and only about 1.4 million points. At this rate I'll need about 950 nights before I get to 1.75 million points. Some of my extra nights where meetings and some were from the rewards card, but I don't think that counts for 200 extra nights. I've been a member for a long time and used to stay at cheap Courtyards among other things.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:58 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by stc
Yep, this. I'm at about 760 nights and only about 1.4 million points. At this rate I'll need about 950 nights before I get to 1.75 million points. Some of my extra nights where meetings and some were from the rewards card, but I don't think that counts for 200 extra nights. I've been a member for a long time and used to stay at cheap Courtyards among other things.
Get a credit card...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:23 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by t1c
Get a credit card...
Actually I have two Marriott credit cards.

However, I'm sitting on about 350k Marriott points and find that using cards which give me AA miles or DL miles are better for me in that I tend to burn through AA miles and DL miles faster than Marriott points.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by txpenny
I remember seeing concern where members were trying to hit LTP by 12.31.17. With seemingly no new announcements out about the program merging and possible new rules, I'm guessing that 12.31.17 is probably not an important date anymore. If not, I will reach LTP on 1.1.18 with rollover nights triggering the status.
I'm working the same plan. I want to reach LTP asap before the qualifications change and potentially become harder. MR hasn't announced any changes or a date yet, so it's a fair guess (though not a guarantee, of course) it's not going to happen by 12/31. I'm on track to meet the 2M points requirement within a few weeks, so I'm not worried there. 750 nights, I doubt I'll hit by 12/31. It's possible, but unlikely. Instead I'm working to a plan of finishing the year a few short of 750 but with enough rollover nights to put me over 750 when rollovers post in early January.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:56 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by stc
Actually I have two Marriott credit cards.

However, I'm sitting on about 350k Marriott points and find that using cards which give me AA miles or DL miles are better for me in that I tend to burn through AA miles and DL miles faster than Marriott points.
Put all of your spend on both Marriott cards. Then get travel packages and deposit the airline miles for both AA and DL. You will actually get more DL and AA miles faster. Also if you want you can then still redeposit the hotel portion of the package back into your account.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
Put all of your spend on both Marriott cards. Then get travel packages and deposit the airline miles for both AA and DL. You will actually get more DL and AA miles faster. Also if you want you can then still redeposit the hotel portion of the package back into your account.
Also if you want you can then still redeposit the hotel portion of the package back into your account.

Wow - I never knew this. So you basically can convert Marriott points to DL at 1:1?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Also if you want you can then still redeposit the hotel portion of the package back into your account.

Wow - I never knew this. So you basically can convert Marriott points to DL at 1:1?
Some people have not been able to deposit the hotel points back, and you don't get back the full points. Marriott uses a formula where they value the airline points already given and refund a balance, which is less than the spendable points.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by t1c
Being able to redeposit points back into the airline account makes me wonder whether Lifetime Marriott is revocable. Else, someone with enough Marriott nights could BORROW the airline points and get Lifetime. That makes the points requirement meaningless for many travelers.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:08 pm
t1c

Originally Posted by JackE
Being able to redeposit points back into the airline account makes me wonder whether Lifetime Marriott is revocable. Else, someone with enough Marriott nights could BORROW the airline points and get Lifetime. That makes the points requirement meaningless for many travelers.
My understanding is only if you fall below the requirements for LT status.

A member can send someone points but it will take a way from their lifetime points.

There is not really a borrow, just a transfer of points. Once you send them from Marriott to the airline they are permanent. Same for airline to Marriott.

As stated before its not exactly a 1:1 ratio but Marriott needs the have a method to change you from a category 5 to a category 9 hotel.

So what they do is credit the points back and then transfer in a larger amount.

In certain certificate circumstances if a trip is cancelled they just credit the hotel amount back to the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.