Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
A reminder that the Bonvoy program terms & conditions (section 1.3.c.v) provide:

Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
Print Wikipost

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mindrisa
Those Marriott's aren't the only two in New York doing that! Add the Lexington to the list...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28702936-post145.html
this gets out of hand. What is next? Bathroom utilization fee? Check-in fee? Elevator maintenance fee?

too bad NYC properties are doing this ... guess it will be Hiltons in NYC for me moving forward. The only way they will learn is when business is suffering and they start having bad reviews on tripadvisor et al for doing this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by lililolo
I booked the Renaissance a few months back for a stay in January 2018. Today when I looked at my upcoming reservations, I saw a "destination amenity fee" of $20.99/night was added to the rate at this hotel.

I have no idea what this fee is, there is no explanation and it was not listed when I made the reservation. I feel it is very unethnical to quietly add an "undisclosed" charge to a confirmed reservation.

If I get charged for this fee, I am going to fight it. Now it did make you wonder how confirm is a confirmed reservation? When Marriott can add any additional charges to your confirmed reservation whenever it wants. Sigh....
I guess that must be the "resort" fee but they can't really call that as they don't provide resort amenities. You should have an email after you made your booking and if it doesn't state the fee then you will have a case to fight.

Originally Posted by cfischer
this gets out of hand. What is next? Bathroom utilization fee? Check-in fee? Elevator maintenance fee?

too bad NYC properties are doing this ... guess it will be Hiltons in NYC for me moving forward. The only way they will learn is when business is suffering and they start having bad reviews on tripadvisor et al for doing this.
I can think of a few more: fitness room utilization fee, late check-in fee (i.e. if you check-in after 10pm), swimming pool locker fee...... There really should be regulation regarding these ridiculous fees.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd love to know what these hotels are actually providing for the 'daily destination fee'. As others mentioned, these are not resorts so you don't get stuff like beach chair and snorkling equipment etc.

Sounds like another 100% junk fee that you get nothing for. I'd be demanding to know what tangible amenities the hotel is providing for that 25/d fee.

Hotel industry is going to need to get some regulations slapped on them like the airlines, so they have to include those fees in the rate... or soon we're going to be seeing a $29 room rate with $150 of fees on top.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by rylan
I'd love to know what these hotels are actually providing for the 'daily destination fee'. As others mentioned, these are not resorts so you don't get stuff like beach chair and snorkling equipment etc.

Sounds like another 100% junk fee that you get nothing for. I'd be demanding to know what tangible amenities the hotel is providing for that 25/d fee.

Hotel industry is going to need to get some regulations slapped on them like the airlines, so they have to include those fees in the rate... or soon we're going to be seeing a $29 room rate with $150 of fees on top.
+1 I totally agree with your assessment on the out of control fees. Since the hotel industry is not self-regulating, the government will need to step in to do it.

--Jon
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Details on Lexington NYC Destination Fee can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28702936-post145.html
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

I think resort fee is a BS too - again it's a fee invented by hotel industry and then people get used to the idea. This destination fee will probably be accepted by people and see it as a fee that they can't avoid.

If a hotel thinks putting out beach chair cost them extra, charge whoever that uses it, same with the internet (free for members and enhanced speed for elites), local calls etc. I don't support the idea of resort fee so I'd rather stay at places that don't impose the charge.

When I first saw the term "destination fee" I thought it was some sort of tourism tax that would end up in the pocket of the city, well I was wrong.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by dcchi
I just noticed that some reservations I had made in NY had a "daily desination fee" charge now. I don't think (pretty sure though not positive) that they had that when I originally made the reservation. It was on a NY Marriott Marquis reservation ($25/day) and when I was looking at other reservations I noticed the Times Square Renaissance wanted that too. This seems like the start of a resort fee-style fee...why can't they be honest and raise the room rate instead?
I just checked an upcoming reservation in October that I have for the same hotel. When I booked (June 26th) there was no $25 fee. Now it shows on my reservation.

This is very shifty. They know when my reservation was made (did it through Marriott website) and changing the terms after the fact is just plain wrong.

I am sure they will reverse the charge, but just tacking it on hoping guests will not notice is bad form.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by drwilliams
I just checked an upcoming reservation in October that I have for the same hotel. When I booked (June 26th) there was no $25 fee. Now it shows on my reservation.

This is very shifty. They know when my reservation was made (did it through Marriott website) and changing the terms after the fact is just plain wrong.

I am sure they will reverse the charge, but just tacking it on hoping guests will not notice is bad form.
I find generally they use a rate code for all bookings. This points to the details that can get updated at anytime following the booking. If they go in and modify the code with new terms they show up the next time you look at the rez. This is why you MUST keep your confirmation that states what the terms were at the time of booking and the property can be held to those terms. Yes, this is wrong, but the fact remains that's what they are doing and we must keep on top of what was in play at the time of booking. I'd love to see a major class action suit that would force them to stop the practice.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:01 am

Is there no broad rule, like with Hilton and Hyatt, that resort fees are not charged when staying for free on award nights?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Colin
Is there no broad rule, like with Hilton and Hyatt, that resort fees are not charged when staying for free on award nights?
No there is not.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve never had trouble getting the resort fee waived on award stays as a Platinum, but I have to ask. It doesn’t usually happen automatically, at least at properties I’ve stayed at.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by getagb
I’ve never had trouble getting the resort fee waived on award stays as a Platinum, but I have to ask. It doesn’t usually happen automatically, at least at properties I’ve stayed at.
Do you ask at check in? Or do you ask on the day you check out? Just wondering when is a better time to bring it up.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Resort Fees in Reward Stay?

Do you have to pay the resort fee when you are staying on points?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Not included. The T&Cs:
Your Rewards Redemption stay will include a single or double standard room at a participating Marriott hotel or Ritz-Carlton hotel, including the cost of your hotel room, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any. All other hotel charges, including resort fees and Ritz-Carlton Club level charges, are the responsibility of the Rewards Program Members and are not included in the stay.
With that said, I have had them waived at at least once when on a points stay, but it was several years ago.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by flyou10
Do you have to pay the resort fee when you are staying on points?
Yep. Every day. Each day.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.