Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by schriste
I stayed at the MKBH just 2 weeks ago. I think the sq. ft. numbers you mention include the spacious lanais in the total... so the room itself is not as large as those numbers suggest.
I'll ask the obvious question - did you get free wifi or any other benefits? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Autograph Collection breakfast benefits aren't worth fighting for IME.
Officially, the U.S./Canada lounge/breakfast benefit for Gold and Platinum members at Autograph Collection properties is the same as at Marriott, JW Marriott, and Renaissance properties.

Autograph Collection properties are supposed to have a high degree of individuality compared to typical Marriott full service properties. Unfortunately, this can also mean that their lounge/breakfast benefits are all over the board.

My breakfasts at the The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection in Kansas City have been some of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had in the U.S. But this forum has reported a number of Autograph Collection properties whose management is apparently clueless regarding the legitimate expectations of Gold and Platinum Marriott Rewards members.

Then there's still the question of whether the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection is a hotel (lounge/breakfast benefit applies) or a resort (exempt from lounge/breakfast benefit). Sharon cited a press release that sometimes called Mauna Kea Beach Hotel a resort. Based on the nature and amenities of the property, it is certainly a resort. But, oddly, Marriott.com still shows it as a hotel.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Autograph Collection breakfast benefits aren't worth fighting for IME.
Generally true...although a notable exception is the Boscolo Budapest (and perhaps others).
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by ab_initio
I'll ask the obvious question - did you get free wifi or any other benefits? Thanks!
I was there for 6 nights during the transition. Only the last 2 nights were under Marriott. I had secured a rate for the 6 nights that included WiFi and breakfast. they did not change any of the terms for the last 2 nights. I see no reason to expect they would not provide it. Staff were all very friendly and helpful.

I did have too pay 2 bills as they switched reservation systems, but they left a note in the room advising of this in advance.

Great beach, and my wife and I loved the hotel. The patrons are unquestionably older.. and by this I mean of retirement age. This is not a party hotel! also, saw very few children there... A few very young children, but zero older kids.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by ab_initio
My wife and I spent a few nights at the end of January booked on points. I am only a MR Silver but free wifi was specifically mentioned at check in and never showed on the bill at check out. We were also given a late check out as our flight didn't leave until late in the evening. We both really enjoyed the hotel (other than the food offerings) and found the staff to be very gracious. I definitely look forward to a return visit.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:13 am

We are here now and very much enjoying our visit. Just did a couple of loads of laundry in the laundry room - I loved that this is available so I could pack lighter.

We are here on points. We had reserved a golf view deluxe and were upgraded to ocean view main tower. The view is just beautiful and we are able to watch the whales each morning as we drink coffee on the lanai.

At check in we were offered the 10 dollar F&B credit or 500 points. Wifi was included. There was a bowl with a couple of pieces of banana bread and papaya wedges in the room, but I don't know if that is standard or some kind of rewards welcome. No mention of any discounts for parking, food or spa.

We can have a 2 pm check out based on availability on departure day. Since our flight is late evening we were told we were welcome to stay on property after and shower at the golf club house which closes at 6pm.

If any one has questions, I would be happy to see if I can answer or get an answer.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HappyCheesehead
We are here now and very much enjoying our visit. Just did a couple of loads of laundry in the laundry room - I loved that this is available so I could pack lighter.

We are here on points. We had reserved a golf view deluxe and were upgraded to ocean view main tower. The view is just beautiful and we are able to watch the whales each morning as we drink coffee on the lanai.

At check in we were offered the 10 dollar F&B credit or 500 points. Wifi was included. There was a bowl with a couple of pieces of banana bread and papaya wedges in the room, but I don't know if that is standard or some kind of rewards welcome. No mention of any discounts for parking, food or spa.

We can have a 2 pm check out based on availability on departure day. Since our flight is late evening we were told we were welcome to stay on property after and shower at the golf club house which closes at 6pm.

If any one has questions, I would be happy to see if I can answer or get an answer.
Thanks for the report, I'm heading there next week so it was very timely

Did they mention if they still have the relationship with the neighboring Hapuna Beach hotel where you can sign things to your room at both hotels and use facilities at both?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:47 am

I just checked again. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection is now (finally) officially categorized as a resort, no longer as a hotel:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

It's also now listed as a resort on Marriott's Hawaii Resort page:

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search...states.resort/

It's amazing that it took so long.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Thanks for the report, I'm heading there next week so it was very timely

Did they mention if they still have the relationship with the neighboring Hapuna Beach hotel where you can sign things to your room at both hotels and use facilities at both?
Hi TravlinmanS- yes, they do have that agreement. You can sign at both and use facilities interchangeably. They did note that I could not use the food and beverage voucher at the Hapuna since they are not a Marriott affiliate. They also have a shuttle running between the hotels at dinner time. The shuttle leaves here at 5:50 pm and goes to Hapuna, leaves there at 6:10 to here, leaves here at 6:30 and so on every 20 minutes till about 10 pm.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:07 pm

Additional note about our stay. We went to check out at 2 pm on Wed as planned and re-confirm we could shower at the clubhouse before 6 since our flight was not until 10:47 pm. The front desk person (the lovely and awesome Healani) checked her system then advised she could extend us until 7 pm so we could shower in the room before leaving. I would imagine they could only do so when the room is not being turned over for use that evening so it may not be available to everyone, but it was a super way to end our visit.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
I just called to figure out about the resort fee. There is no resort fee BUT I was told that I would need to pay for the occupancy tax (and some other tax). Apparently those taxes are about 13.4%. I am looking to book 5 nights with points end of April 2015, but the regular rates is $399/night. So am I looking at a $54+ fee per night, on top of the $15 self-parking fee?

I am confused because when I try to booking online, the summary page indicates "Total taxes and fees: Included".

If anyone has stayed there already, please let me know what i would truly end up paying.

Last edited by sorka; Mar 10, 2015 at 5:06 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Taxes are included on award stays AFAIK. Since the room cost is zero, there's nothing to charge tax.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Taxes are included on award stays AFAIK. Since the room cost is zero, there's nothing to charge tax.

Cheers.
Yes. This seems to be a case of a property that's newly in Marriott's Autograph Collection and Marriott Rewards, and its staff does not yet fully understand all the details of how comply with brand standards.

Although there's clearly some sort of financial transaction between Marriott and the property "behind the scenes" for Marriott Rewards stays, the guest should not be charged any taxes on that transaction.

It may have been different under the hotel's previous guest loyalty program, Prince Preferred.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
It may have been different under the hotel's previous guest loyalty program, Prince Preferred.
It is not previous, it still exists.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:28 pm

I was NOT charged any taxes on my points stay room. We were there 10 days and checked out 2/19/15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.