Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Edition Waikiki no longer Marriott (or Edition, for that matter)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edition Waikiki no longer Marriott (or Edition, for that matter)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by erikatcuse
Edition no longer shows up under this section.
Right you are. Maybe it's too much to ask that when Marriott Rewards changes the rules, it advises its members of the change.

Probably somebody from Marriott Rewards (maybe the Concierge) saw this thread and had a change made. C'mon, whoever did it, fess up!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA G MM, AS 75K MVP, Delta Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, PC Spire
LNF

EDITION does not participate in Marriott's LNF program. It is excluded per the T&C's
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Waikiki Edition on sale

On ruelala, 4/4.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:12 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Fewer Points Required for stays at Waikki Edition Hotel

This was recently posted on Marriott Insiders; it is good news for any of you planning to visit this unique property:

Insiders,

"I wanted to let you know that the reward redemption category for the Waikiki EDITION hotel has been lowered from a Category 7 hotel to a Category 6 hotel. That means fewer points are required for a stay at this amazing destination! Check out more details on the Waikiki EDITION hotel at: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ikiki-edition/"

For those of you who have already had a category 7 reward issued for a future redemption stay at this property, please feel free to contact Guest Services at 801-468-4000 or send me a personal message to have your points adjusted.

Regards,
Ira
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Thumbs up

NICE! Looking forward to going back in Feb 2012!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I'm Marriott Gold, e-mailed them about upgrades for our upcoming honeymoon but they said, "inquire when you check in" boo!
Old May 26, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Better stay here quickly of you want to be there while still part of Marriott.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_topics_obama

PS Note to Bill Marriott. You may want to rethink "no free breakfast for Platinums" at Editions (and Resorts). Just this year I have chosen ES in Honolulu over Edition and Doubletree Old City over Edition since paying for breakfast when on vacation seems inappropriate when I provide 300 revenue rooms in one year. Since Hilton rewards Diamonds (and Golds) with free breakfast everywhere except W-A, guess where I channel my business?
Old May 26, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
LOL

Hmmm... high prices, bad location, recession, high prices, bad location, reduction in Japanese tourism, high prices, and bad location are the reasons for their lack of success. The owner is hurting financially and looking for some deep pockets. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old May 27, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I sayed here in April. The hotel is just OK for me, i did like the lobby and the service was really good.

Paying 35 for breakfast was a little out of control. The main area hotels are only a short 5-10 min walk. After walking the boardwalk those hotels do not have much of a beach. Reminded me of south padre during spring break.

Interesting note about being sued... I am not sure how or anyone would pay rack rate here.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edition Waikiki Owners Sue Marriott, Schrager

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...72151/1?csp=34
The owners of one of Marriott's stylish Waikiki Edition hotel are suing the company and its creative partner, Ian Schrager...

The hotel owners say Marriott and Schrager didn't do enough to make the hotel the success that had been promised. They also charge that Schrager hasn't been as involved as they had expected, which for them was "critical."

"The abysmal performance of the hotel is attributable in large part to the failed Edition brand and concept," the suit charges.

...When the Waikiki Edition opened last October, the owners had expected that they would ride the momentum of other Edition hotels that had previously opened - but their hotel turned out to be the first.

...stark contrast to a previous forecast that the owners said Marriott had given them...

...opening party last October cost $472,000 - far exceeding the $150,000 budget.

The suit also accuses Schrager of being absent, especially from critical design meetings...

The lawsuit also mentions that the "Edition" brand is losing the executives who were supposed to make it a thriving success.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/pdf/e...kikinysuit.pdf
FACTUAL BACKGROUND

H. Ian Schrager Abandons "Edition" To Start His Own Competing Hotel Brands

CLAIMS

A. Count One: Breach Of The TSA (Against Marriott, Schrager LLC, And Ian Schrager)

B. Count Two: Breach Of Management Agreement (Against Marriott)

C. Count Three: Breach Of Fiduciary Duty (Against Marriott, Schrager LLC, And Ian Schrager)

D. Count Four: Negligent Misrepresentation (Against Marriott, Schrager LLC, And Ian Schrager)
related >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ion-hotel.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...tion-sale.html
Old May 28, 2011, 5:07 pm
iwc

and here is the link for the article from the Honolulu Advertiser website for the local angle:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/busine..._Marriott.html
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
As the owners should do! My college dorm was decorated better than this hotel:

Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
OMG is that photo taken from the hotel??? It looks a step up from a prison cell...not exactly a tropical paradise.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
After learning how much street noise the rooms get, we stayed elsewhere. It is nice to open windows in Hawaii, but not if it sounds like Manhattan at rush hour.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well the economic downturn didn't help matters, but the pic above is definitely not Schrager calibre of design/decorating. Reading the article, sounds like they have a bigger beef w/ Schrager.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.