Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carl
Getting the axe for what exactly?
money orders i'm assuming. i barely did any volume with them and let the money sit for long periods, just to show activity, but i guess they didn't like that. shame.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Stop in the name of the Grammer Police!

Churring is defined as:

"The sharp whirring or trilling sound made by some insects and birds, such as the grasshopper and partridge."

While Aesop's Fables suggest MSfolk are more grasshopper than ant and the bible suggests that we are like the birds of the air, our ability to MS by churring is a new one on me.

But if you really have figured a way to MS by churring cards please keep the secret to yourself as the evil bloggers will jump on it and soon kill this novel technique.
Go into a boutique jewelers. Take out your favorite credit card and chur with it (practice first of course). After a few minutes, the server will say "Please, take whatever you want and just go. I can't stand that damn noise a moment longer" Not quite MS in the usual sense, but uses a credit card for no-cost valuable rewards
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Ain't that discrimination when a bank closes credit cards for (MS) customers with excellent credit and repayment histories? I guess they prefer customers with poor credit and repayment histories so they can create another financial crisis like the one that lead to the Great Recession. Then these wise bankers can force taxpayers with excellent credit and repayment histories to subsidize their failures and gross management incompetence.

It's called TOS, but you knew that already

Stop in the name of the Grammer Police!

But if you really have figured a way to MS by churring cards please keep the secret to yourself as the evil bloggers will jump on it and soon kill this novel technique.
I have it's called flipping houses, doing pretty good, I'm not going to waste my time running all over town getting money orders when on one house I can make between 30-50K worth of points, do that 5-6 times a year.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I have it's called flipping houses, doing pretty good, I'm not going to waste my time running all over town getting money orders when on one house I can make between 30-50K worth of points, do that 5-6 times a year.
I'm not gonna waste my time flipping houses when I can just chirr my cards.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems easier to flip a house than to spend an hour at Walmart, no?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:19 am

After trying to ACH money in into UFB, got a flood of emails saying that my external connections were all suspended, and that the account was suspended. I only use this account for MOs and payments to 2 cards.

CSR said it was suspended because the names didn't match on the bank accounts (external was in my wife's name). Suggested that I could do the ACH from the other bank into UFB instead, that is never an issue. Said all suspensions should be lifted by tomorrow.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by stuntgoats
I got my three letters today and they all say the same thing:

"We have recently conducted a review of our accounts. Following this review, we regret to advise you that we are no longer able to provide you with a credit card account because of your usage history. Your account has been closed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Cardmember Agreement that governs your account. A consumer credit-reporting agency was not used in making this determination."

So maybe they conducted the review since I asked them to waive the AF on one account and then they didn't like the MS (usage).

I immediately (when I discovered they closed my accounts) redeemed all my Arrival+ points for a statement credit (at a not that great $0.01 value) and they wiped the remaining (the ones I got back at the 5% redemption rate) amount the next day.

Any suggestions about trying to CFPB for anything or should I just be thankful I got something?
Got closed down in early 2016 and had success contacting the "executive team" or whatever it was called (just Google the number) and they cashed out any point balance I had left over. Can't tell if you still have points left to you or not. I felt good I at least got the 1 cent value - better than nothing!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
when you get left holding the bag with a termite infested dump or a house that needs a complete remodel you might long for the days of walmart customer service lines.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by stuntgoats
I got my three letters today and they all say the same thing:

"We have recently conducted a review of our accounts. Following this review, we regret to advise you that we are no longer able to provide you with a credit card account because of your usage history. Your account has been closed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Cardmember Agreement that governs your account. A consumer credit-reporting agency was not used in making this determination."

So maybe they conducted the review since I asked them to waive the AF on one account and then they didn't like the MS (usage).

I immediately (when I discovered they closed my accounts) redeemed all my Arrival+ points for a statement credit (at a not that great $0.01 value) and they wiped the remaining (the ones I got back at the 5% redemption rate) amount the next day.

Any suggestions about trying to CFPB for anything or should I just be thankful I got something?
I'm planning to go through arbitration with them (unless they come to their senses sooner) to get back my annual fees and value of points at a minimum. They didn't do themselves a favor by giving CL increases that basically say, "hey, you're a great customer!" immediately prior to shutdown and point seizure. I finally got my second snail-mail letter yesterday even though they closed that account (Aviator) weeks ago at the same time as Arrival+. I will not miss their horrible customer service. I had to wait an eternity to talk to a supervisor (apparently in the U.K.) who immediately hung up on me when I said I would have to go to arbitration if the annual fees weren't refunded.

Last edited by Carl; Jan 25, 2017 at 1:26 am
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CWAL
I'm not gonna waste my time flipping houses when I can just chirr my cards.
How many cards do you do a year? I'll be getting Diamond with Hilton, I'll have PQD taken care of on AA, plus a Companion pass, also 20K EQM on AA. I know this isn't important to many but it is me, I travel in the US and having EXPLT helps a lot.

Originally Posted by josephstern
Or stepping foot into a wall mart of PO

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
when you get left holding the bag with a termite infested dump or a house that needs a complete remodel you might long for the days of walmart customer service lines.
Sounds like you know nothing about flipping a houses which is fine, it's not for everybody. Some people like spending hours at the PO and some do not.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:49 am

Sounds like you know nothing about flipping a houses which is fine, it's not for everybody. Some people like spending hours at the PO and some do not.
I liquidate VGC in heavy volume at the PO all the time and i NEVER need to be there anywhere close to an hour. Can we stop the exaggerating nonsense?

I also know a thing or two about flipping and i agree MS is preferable, mostly because of the lower chance of disaster.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Several dozen
Being a flipper only works so long until you get too close to the trawlers and end up as bycatch.

It's called TOS, but you knew that already
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I just got an email notifying me of an external transfer from my Barclays savings account. At first I thought it was phishing. Nope, it was legit. Wait, did someone somehow add a new bank account and take my money? Nope. Barclays closed my account and transferred the balance to an external account on file. Guess it takes a bit longer, but they don't just stop with credit cards.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Carl
I just got an email notifying me of an external transfer from my Barclays savings account. At first I thought it was phishing. Nope, it was legit. Wait, did someone somehow add a new bank account and take my money? Nope. Barclays closed my account and transferred the balance to an external account on file. Guess it takes a bit longer, but they don't just stop with credit cards.
out of curiosity, did you do a lot of billpay from walmart?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tempest347

I also know a thing or two about flipping and i agree MS is preferable, mostly because of the lower chance of disaster.
That is until your accounts are closed or frozen, and with the rate accounts being closed, I think MS is on it's way out BTW isn't this threat about shutdown thread, so how much time before your CC accounts are closed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.