Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot variable Dining Everywhere Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Office Depot variable Dining Everywhere Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
Successfully purchased MO at Walmart using Ingenico pinpad and split-tender.
Dining or Style? It does not give you any error and went smoothly from outset?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Dining or Style? It does not give you any error and went smoothly from outset?
Dining. I have updated my post. I thought we were only discussing dining in this thread.

No error whatsoever. I wasn't going to do split tender, but saw my favorite cashier working, so I went for it and I am glad I did.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dining. I have updated my post. I thought we were only discussing dining in this thread.

No error whatsoever. I wasn't going to do split tender, but saw my favorite cashier working, so I went for it and I am glad I did.
I think since dining and style essentially in the same new "genre', they should behave the same.

This gives me some hope to try tomorrow. Can't return to the one and the only OD the same day. The cashier already said that.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:22 pm

I think since dining and style essentially in the same new "genre', they should behave the same.

This gives me some hope to try tomorrow. Can't return to the one and the only OD the same day. The cashier already said that.
From other venues I got the impression that Style is a no go and Dining is YMMV. Besides, if you get stuck with $600 worth of GCs, it sure helps them being dining vs. style, doesn't it?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From other venues I got the impression that Style is a no go and Dining is YMMV. Besides, if you get stuck with $600 worth of GCs, it sure helps them being dining vs. style, doesn't it?
No. The dining can only be used at dining and not every dining venue would take it.

Style can be used at dept stores, clothing stores, and online, according to the wording.

So strictly from face value, the Style card has a broader merchant basis to use the cards while dining would be only at restaurants and not even every restaurant.

Besides, it is easier to spend hundreds at dept stores than eat at restaurants - think Thanksgiving / Xmas holiday shopping.

If I am going to experiment it, I would use ONE $200 the specialty card + $100 fixed value card to get the discount and if the specialty card not working, it would only be $200 got stuck with restrictive usage. If those cards can use anywhere, as a credit card, the approach would be different. But the usage is so restrictive I honestly dont know what is behind the concept of such marketing ploy.

While the saving is tempting, it is only $6 per $600 transaction - liquidation cost might reduce it down to $4 or below. May not worth the risk.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:39 pm

I just bought 5 flower cards and 1 dining one. I'm using Plastiq for all, and Plastiq won't take the dining ones. Someone in another forum said the same, but I had to try it for myself.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I just bought 5 flower cards and 1 dining one. I'm using Plastiq for all, and Plastiq won't take the dining ones. Someone in another forum said the same, but I had to try it for myself.
What is the flower card for? Does it have the name? Is the fee a 4.95 or 6.95?

I thought it was one design of the dining cards.

Dining has been reported unable to load amzn. Makes sense as you could not dine online but then, these days so many restaurants accept online order for pick up... pretty dumb to restrict the card's usage.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:10 pm

My Dining Cards did not work at my go to walmart. It did work at the grocery store down the street.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by cdog999
My Dining Cards did not work at my go to walmart. It did work at the grocery store down the street.
Super Walmart or regular Walmart or neighborhood market? Seems to make a difference. I believe that the data point is they work at super walmarts due to grocery
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:00 pm

What is the flower card for? Does it have the name? Is the fee a 4.95 or 6.95?

I thought it was one design of the dining cards.

Dining has been reported unable to load amzn. Makes sense as you could not dine online but then, these days so many restaurants accept online order for pick up... pretty dumb to restrict the card's usage.
Flowers are just regular gift cards like carbon fiber.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:49 am

From an issuer point of view, the dining card is pure genius. It can only be used at restaurants. If you have a $50 card and your bill is $48.23, I would think most people would not want to be bothered with a dollar or two left over on a card. I wonder how much money is left behind on those annually.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrankMS
From an issuer point of view, the dining card is pure genius. It can only be used at restaurants. If you have a $50 card and your bill is $48.23, I would think most people would not want to be bothered with a dollar or two left over on a card. I wonder how much money is left behind on those annually.
It is a high probability.

OTOH you could ask the restaurant only take $40 out from the card and then the next time it would be only $10 to drain. This makes it easier to remember the balance.

For the real restaurant gift cards we often do the split payment between a gift card and a cc, such as $25 on a $50 gift card, then the balance together with tips on a cc. All restaurants can do that.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
These specific cards are problematic, fickle and should be avoided. You think they work one place and then stock up and then they won't work again. Strange. Do not get stuck with these. Not working at all WMs either. Company just says "well it says on the card it may not work everywhere..."
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:42 pm

It is a high probability.

OTOH you could ask the restaurant only take $40 out from the card and then the next time it would be only $10 to drain. This makes it easier to remember the balance.

For the real restaurant gift cards we often do the split payment between a gift card and a cc, such as $25 on a $50 gift card, then the balance together with tips on a cc. All restaurants can do that.
Restaurant gift cards can be drained any way we/they want and no overhead needed, but visa gc needs 20% overhead to be billed in restaurants and won't go through if gc doesn't have enough money.

With $60 gc, you can only bill up to $50. That excludes some of the fast-food chains which don't expect tips.

With $10 left, you cannot pay something over $10 even on many restaurants. It will simply decline. You need to know exact amount you have on the gift card and ask to split payment. Less 20%. When you ask all these mess to the server, they may expect more tip

Well, some fast-food restaurants "may-or-may-not" drain full amount left on visa gc and ask another payment method. If not, use full visa gc amount is a headache in a restaurant. In conclusion, yes, dining card is pure genius.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA MM Gold, SPG & Marriott Plat
Datapoint - The "Dining Everywhere" Visa worked for me at Costco. Swiped and it auto-ran as debit prompting for PIN and cashback (3 choices - $60, $20, and None). Then swiped next one and did same. Auto-drained two cards entirely so did not have a chance to try cashback=yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.